Music in background of feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

I had a lot of hum in the background of my feed so I ordered a different usb sound card, the one in the wiki article to see if that would help. swapped it out and for some reason I'm able to hear what sounds like some type of mexican radio station in the background but at a low volume. Have you ever heard of this? Any idea what could be causing this? This is the soundcard I switched to: http://amzn.com/B000N35A0Y

I just turned off my scanner but left the audio cable hooked up to my scanner and usb sound card, and the music is still there? If I unplug the audio cable from the scanner with it off, the music goes away, then plug the audio cable back into the scanner with scanner still off and the music is back.

Do you want to listen to my feed to see if you hear it? Sherwood Police and Fire

I also tried a shielded audio cable from radio shack and the music is still there?

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Sounds like you have a radio station close by that is overloading your equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N5JMC

I unplugged the power cord and it stopped. So something with the ac power cord and audio cables or what? I ran it on batteries for a little and no music. I am confused.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
You are probably getting rf through the power cable. Try wrapping it around an RF choke.

N5JMC

N5JMC

I thought the same looking at a list I found online, but I matched it on a little alarm radio with a dial but didn't give me the readout of station, so matched it in truck and it's 1380 which I can't find much info on. I found that there was a 1380 in sherwood ar where I live but it was contemporary.

Last edited:

ka8zay

Feed Provider
It must be getting right into your scanner. Not much else I can think of other then putting everything in a metal grounded box except the antenna.

N5JMC

The soundcard I was using before didn't do this, so I swapped it back out and it's gone now. Not sure why it's only with the new soundcard I ordered.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Okay well that is just weird since you said it went away when you unplugged the cable from the scanner. That made me believe it was coming from the scanner not the sound card.

N5JMC

I know it's weird how the sound card played into it. And when on power I had music but when on batteries it didn't.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Must have created some weird induction loop, a perfect storm then. Did you try the choke on the audio cable as well?

N5JMC

Yes. One on power cable and one on audio cable.

Do you think more power is pushed through audio cable when I have scanner plugged in wall vs batteries?

But that still doesn't explain the other usb sound card.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Yea that's just weird. Chalk that one up to strange events.

N5JMC

I am but still curious about why it's broadcasting, especially Spanish music after looking at this site. I assume this pulls from FCC? I tried calling the number but fast busy tones. Think I'll make a trip to the address listed in Kiehl and see if they know what's broadcasting. It's right down the road from me.

http://radio-locator.com/info/KDXE-AM

Status
Not open for further replies.