Status
Not open for further replies.

brucelane

Premium Subscriber
I just bought this scanner and need help to get started. I am from Kentucky

captclint

Mentor
I just bought this scanner and need help to get started. I am from Kentucky
Would help to know what county, but you can go here: Kentucky Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
and select your county to see what things you can monitor. While it is possible to program manually, it is easier and faster with no typos to use free software : FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software Here's detailed info: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FreeScan_User_Guide but you should read up on how your scanner is organized. See the links at the bottom of the Freescan page to learn more. You will also need a USB adapter cable to connect your scanner to the PC, which is explained in the users manual.

Note: You would need to become a paid subscriber to take advantage of the automatic download. This would allow you to select the agencies you want to monitor for automatic dlownload into the software, which can then be sent to your scanner.

Last edited:

teufler

since you have tthe scanner, the next STEP is getting your cable recognized by your operating system, then Freescan. Downloading and installing Freescan is easy. The nard part, is getting your cable to work, with what ever computer you have. The 396xt ships with a serial cable. Perhaps the computer you have is new so all you have are usb ports. You can buy a serial to usb converter, though some have had problems getting them to work. Others have got them to work great. Or you can buy a usb to mini usb , so you have a whole new cable. Other than waiting for the cable to arrive, you can read marks scanner pages and read about the 396xt. As some have already mentioned, your new bed side reading will be on how to work the scanner. So welcome aboard to the world of digital scanning and monitoring. Ask away for help, and no matter what button combination you have pushed, most have pushed the same. One of the first, whats happening is your are hearing a pulsing signal that clips. You are stuck in a priority mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.