996P2 wont power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved your post to its own thread for more visibility.

I'm not sure if you are looking for assistance or just venting, but we'll start with it in the Tech Support forum.

Voyager

How are you powering it? Coaxial plug or 3-pin plug? Have you tried the other one? Car battery or AC adapter? Voltage of the source?

salturano

Premium Subscriber
Car adapter and power cord it came with in several outlets. Still wont power up!!

Voyager

You can also try the 3-pin plug, but I agree with Sofa if this is a new unit.

But, it also might be the type of cigar lighter jacks in your car. Some are not 'accessory friendly'.

mitbr

If you tried it on the ac adapter in your home and the car adapter and it does not power up I would say its a dud.
Tim

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

You can also try the 3-pin plug, but I agree with Sofa if this is a new unit.

But, it also might be the type of cigar lighter jacks in your car. Some are not 'accessory friendly'.

I almost mentioned the possibility of reverse polarity on the lighter plug in his car (not knowing where he is from), but even if that happened, the fuse should have blown. And that wouldn't explain not working on AC power...unless again in a country with a different power source than the AC power supply was designed for.

I hope he gets a working 996P2. It's a beautiful scanner that sounds really good. Should like it when it's resolved.

Phil

Voyager

I almost mentioned the possibility of reverse polarity on the lighter plug in his car (not knowing where he is from),

Does that exist? I know there are positive ground vehicles - I've worked on many of those (old Macks). But, does anyone actually make a reverse polarity cigar lighter plug?

SOFA_KING

Does that exist? I know there are positive ground vehicles - I've worked on many of those (old Macks). But, does anyone actually make a reverse polarity cigar lighter plug?

Guess I should have said "jack" instead of "plug". But yes, positive to ground is what I was referring to without getting over technical to the OP.

P

eaf1956

Feed Provider
And some cars won't provide power unless the key is on. My 2013 Silverado has power all the time on it's 12 lighter plug but my 2014 Malibu does not. And the 996P2 along with the 536HP both recycle when you start the truck where the 996XT doesn't.

salturano

Premium Subscriber
This is my 2nd 996p2. The 1st one was sent to Uniden for for service issues and they sent this unit in its
place.

Status
Not open for further replies.