TekPower Analog -vs- Digital Power Supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGClips

Hi Crowd!

I was just checking two power supplies from "TekPower", same 30Amp capacity, but one is analog and the other is digital with $50 higher price tag. Is the digital worth the extra cost? On paper they both look the same, but I assume the digital has more data feedback info and adjustments maybe?

TekPower TP30SWII 30 Amp DC 13.8V ANALOG Switching Power Supply with Noise Offset:
http://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP30SWII-Analog-Switching-Supply/dp/B00L2M2Y5O/

TekPower TP30SWV 30 Amp DC 13.8V DIGITAL Switching Power Supply with Noise Offset:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2K263Q/

Thank you.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Here's the "digital" version with the Jetstream name for $100.

Jetstream JTPS30LCD Power Supply

In the description of the TekPower is this sentence: "When there is noise, you can use the noise offset knob to eliminate it." What the heck does that mean? Does the noise offset shift the frequency of the switcher to move the noise away from whatever frequency you are listening to? Gee, why don't the designers just eliminate the noise in the first place?

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Digital switching power supplies are notorious for generating RFI noise. They do not generate clean sine wave power, but rather pulses that give off RFI / EMI. The "noise offset knob" does exactly that... switches the frequency of the generated noise, which will (hopefully) allow you to shift any RFI off the frequency being affected... or even to a frequency that doesn't affect the front end of the receiver you're trying to keep the noise away from. The best (and usually more expensive) digital supplies have circuitry to reduce or eliminate this effect. The cheapest ones are often the "dirtiest" when it comes to RFI / EMI.... which is why some people insist on analog non-switching power supplies.

N4KVE

Does the noise offset shift the frequency of the switcher to move the noise away from whatever frequency you are listening to?
That's how it works. For HF, I still use a 20 pound Astron brick. However for UHF/VHF mobile radios, I use a switcher. Astron, Samlex, & others.

MrGClips

Today I went back to check on the analog model (TekPower TP30SWII) and I saw that they raised the price by $10 + $13 shipping cost that was for free before, adding $23+ extra to the final price.

I don't know if this company is greedy or plain stupid, but raising a product's price by 23% at the beginning of the biggest shopping season is as dumb as it can get! I just lost all interest buying from them. :(

Thanks for the comments, I'll check out other options and models as well.

N4KVE

Don't feel bad. Last week I bought a laptop online, & the ad said this "deal ends tomorrow", so I ordered it right then. Sure enough tomorrow came, & the price dropped $15. How do you think I felt?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
That's how it works. For HF, I still use a 20 pound Astron brick.
My HF power supply is an Astron RS-35M. Darn heavy, but it works fine. I do a little RTTY contesting, so the transient demand on the PS is significant.

OTOH, I also have an Icom PS-125 which is a switcher. It must be well filtered because I've never noticed any birdies that I could track down to the PS. Of course, it costs a darn sight more than the TekPower/Alinco/Jetstream.

cmdrwill

I use a MegaWatt Switching supply. Never have experienced any interference with it.

High Power 12 Volt Power Supplies With Adjustable Voltage

There are tons of supplies that look similar; but don't have the filtering and such on these USA made supplies. 3 years and still dong great.

But, are they UL rated? Got to have that for some if not all repeater sites.

Update: John replied back saying "they are CE rated".

Last edited:

KD8DVR

But, are they UL rated? Got to have that for some if not all repeater sites.

Update: John replied back saying "they are CE rated".

Hmmm... interesting. Mine has no such markings. Why would an "American made" power supply have a CE rating, but not UL listing. Odd.

N4KVE

American made??? Nissei Electric, the company that makes these supplies for all these companies is not American. They started in Japan, & are in China too.

KD8DVR

American made??? Nissei Electric, the company that makes these supplies for all these companies is not American.

Hmmm.... He says his stuff is made in the USA.... hmmm... OK.

I was aware all the other stuff were cheaply made; but the Mega Watt brand shines above them.

N4KVE

While the Mega Watt supply gets good results, I seriously doubt they are American made. Read this quote from Repeater Builder.Com about the unit.
The design of the power supply is typical of modern switching supplies, and appears to be well laid-out (see the inside photo below). All of the power-switching transistors are provided with appropriate heat sinks, and all were installed with heat sink compound and insulating film. The components that might be damaged by vibration were secured with epoxy. Although the power supply had no labels to indicate the country of origin, the cardboard used in the packaging appears typical of products from Asia. The fan is an ARX DC Brushless device, part number FD1260-S1112C. It is a 60 x 60 mm fan with sleeve bearings.

MrGClips

Today morning the price on the "TekPower TP30SWII" was restored to $99 with FREE shipping! Maybe they, too, read this forum and doesn't like to be called greedy and stupid?! :D Their supply is out now, but soon will be available, so we shall see if they get greedy and stupid again, or keep their prices on the current one? :p

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP30SWII-Analog-Switching-Supply/dp/B00L2M2Y5O/

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,144

N4KVE

So after reading this post, I decided to contact Newegg, the people who sold me my laptop, & dropped the price $15 the next day. They were very nice, & verified that the price had indeed dropped $15, but was again back at $189 yesterday. They credited my Paypal account the $15, & threw in a $20 store credit with them. Great place to buy a laptop if you need one. Hopefully the OP will get the power supply at the price he wants. Happy turkey day.

k6cpo

I'm becoming more and more skeptical of products featured on Amazon. I've had a couple of bad experiences with products ordered from them recently. I ordered a product that was shipped in September and I still have yet to receive it. I'm working with the actual vendor but still no product.

My wife ordered me a pair of sheepskin boots (similar to Uggs) and they were too small even though she ordered one size too large because reviews said they ran small. I wanted to exchange them, but the vendor said no exchanges on Amazon orders.

Buyer beware...

MrGClips

I'm becoming more and more skeptical of products featured on Amazon. I've had a couple of bad experiences with products ordered from them recently. I ordered a product that was shipped in September and I still have yet to receive it. I'm working with the actual vendor but still no product.

My wife ordered me a pair of sheepskin boots (similar to Uggs) and they were too small even though she ordered one size too large because reviews said they ran small. I wanted to exchange them, but the vendor said no exchanges on Amazon orders.

Buyer beware...

That can happen on may different online stores. The "small ones" charge you a restocking fee + you have to ship things back on your own expense, which is why I stopped buying from direct sellers. On Amazon, at least so far, I've had ZERO problems, and when I needed to return something, I've had free shipping, full refund, no questions asked!

Usually the customer feedback and ratings give a pretty good idea about who you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.