• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Orion / M7100 COS Output & ARCOM AR210

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian86

Database Admin
I am having a heck of a time getting a COS output out of the receive radio.

I am trying to setup a repeater using 2 Orion Front Mount UHF Radios. I have one setup as receive and have the External Mute Option Selected (Tried Low & Hi) and this goes out of Output 1 (Pin 23) to a ARCOM AR210 Controller. No Matter what settings I seem to adjust there is no COS Switch activation on the ARCOM Controller.

I checked the Output (Pin 23) on the back of the Orion Radio while receiving and see no voltage change when set to hi or low...

Is there some special magic to getting a COS signal out of this thing?

The TX Side of the radio works great.

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated

DisasterGuy

If I remember correctly, COR output on the Orion doesn't apply voltage, it takes the pin to ground.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brian86

Database Admin
I thought that as well. I guess I have to use a relay to get it to work. Thanks for the input.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
You could throw a 1K resistor between +5V and that output pin AKA a pull-up resistor and then it would provide the proper logic.

brian86

Database Admin
N0MB Thanks for the info, but im still not getting this to work. Can you help me out with a little more detail of what I should do. I am trying not to burn anything up but I have 5 more if i do haha.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
OUT1 [Aux Output #1] = Pin 22
SUP GRN = Pin 01

AUX OUTPUT #1 is an Open Collector Output. When active, it will supply a LOW across Pins 01 and 22.

It can be programmed for ACTIVE HIGH or ACTIVE LOW via the EXTERNAL MUTE command.

There is no voltage present on this or OUTPUT #2. Use a relay and 12 VDC.

Also, there are three(3) different PTT commands in the Orion, J725m & M7100:

"PTT" is for VOICE [ ...and is what you need for this installation. ]

"EXPTT" is for DATA [non-voice]

"ALTPTT" is for radios with Dual-PTT microphones. [Car & Station operations, such at California Highway Patrol, Washington State Police, etc.]

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Cvn, do you have more detail on the Dual PTT (alt. PTT). I have seen it in RPM and Programmer but have never understood the actual dual PTT nor seen a dual PTT mic in any of the quick reference guides. I am assuming perhaps something for a dual radio setup?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
In the Conventional Freq Sets (NOT P25 sets) you can set the Alternate PTT channel. The radio will flip to this channel when the ALTPTT is grounded and then flip back. I tested this out to do a APRS beacon hooked to my M7100, when the TNC pulled the line low it would send data to the MIC and then put the radio back to the channel it was on. I determined it to not be a good option as it popped the radio out of scan and would interrupt anything you were doing on the radio unless you were PTT the normal way. Also, ALTPTT does NOT work on P25-C system :(

Status
Not open for further replies.