FDNY EMS Radios "weak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Who?

I didn't see any names named, just some frustration at not having any EMS in-tunnel ability.

And I know the Post would be quick to make some fleshy speed bumps if there were any to be made, that's their second favorite thing after celebrity divorce ;)

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Nothing new here, been a problem from back when I worked there. At that time we carried a Divison Radio from NYPD to keep in touch. The EMS dispatcher would send a note to PD if they wanted us or vice versa.
When FDNY took over that was one of the things they didn't like (supposed lack of control and knowledge) and we could be put O.O.S. if caught with one.
The supposed fix mentioned in the article which was quoted is BTW who? Where you going to find someone with that kind of authority and knowledge on a Sunday,and I kinda doubt there is any fix in the works or ever was. FDNY EMS is the red headed step child, they took all the money from H.H.C. and gave it to the Fire Division.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Do all stations have UHF FDNY-Fire repeaters, or just some?

What ever happened to the big project to bring NYPD and FDNY coverage underground? According to some old news articles, it looks like it went through a few expense false starts. Did it ever get finished?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Looks like my post was dead on, according to this mornings news at least. FDNY states 70% completed, where, well they won't tell. GCT is still VHF and was supposed to be converted to UHF by years end. There has been no work of any kind all year, so I guess what I said is still true.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Ems subway repeaters went in service today.

Its using the old ems citywide channel.

4-crime

Is there only 1 frequency dedicated to work with the subway repeaters? Or will all EMS frequencies work underground?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
1 channel , the old ems citywide its been renamed ems subway
Also as they update the radios they have been adding all the fire channels so ems could also use the fire subway repeaters if needed

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
How does this work are the units connected to the dispatcher?

I understand it's underground. Does the units use it for the above train stations as well?

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Oh one last thing

With the UHF T Band giveback the city invested more money on a system that will probably only in use for 9 years. Or the UHF t band giveback does not include New York City ?

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Oh one last thing

With the UHF T Band giveback the city invested more money on a system that will probably only in use for 9 years. Or the UHF t band giveback does not include New York City ?

The City of New York (and Chicago for that matter) has no intention of "giving back" the T-Band at this time. They pretty much told the FCC they would rather pay the fine than spend hundreds of millions on an unfunded relocation mandate.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Nothing new here, been a problem from back when I worked there. At that time we carried a Divison Radio from NYPD to keep in touch. The EMS dispatcher would send a note to PD if they wanted us or vice versa.
When FDNY took over that was one of the things they didn't like (supposed lack of control and knowledge) and we could be put O.O.S. if caught with one.
The supposed fix mentioned in the article which was quoted is BTW who? Where you going to find someone with that kind of authority and knowledge on a Sunday,and I kinda doubt there is any fix in the works or ever was. FDNY EMS is the red headed step child, they took all the money from H.H.C. and gave it to the Fire Division.

When I was an EMS paramedic a zillion years ago (well before the merger into FDNY), signing out a precinct portable was the very first thing we'd do on shift. It was an essential safety tool that benefited everyone. I never understood why they allowed the stupid NYPD-FDNY rivalry to put an end to the practice when they merged into FDNY - it puts everyone at risk. I believe the EMS portables current have NYPD frequencies programmed, but for receive-only.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
I am retired ems it's all politics and the city does not care about us in the field

The system is flawed when we was on the job you called for a ambulance you got talent

Now it's all quota and politically correct hires if I need a bus I will call a cab. I seen the past it worked

With the police radios FDNY knows what they got they barely know procedure or common sense do you really think these kids know how to go over division radio?

I remember SOD with the old timers John and Danny

They was the real deal now it sound like a paa chat room sad what the city did to the jobs

The last thing they are in the process is the fire dept suppression last class graduated speaks for it self

If you got time in you could make book the vets will retire and the job will look like a liberals dream

Give me the good old days green pants white shirts and the maspeth location 1 dispatch

When Robert m Becker was the big guy and the callsign was KUX 597 and who can forget the modats lol

rr60

Premium Subscriber

plato

T Band Give Back.

I think all the big users of T-Band ( N.Y. area, LA,Chicago, ect) are waiting for the change of politics in Washington to see if the provision in the jobs bill covering T-Band stays intact! There is a lot of talk saying "Obama Care" will be repealed when the above mentioned change happens. Hopefully the "T-Band" part of the jobs bill will be repealed also!!

Give me the good old days green pants white shirts and the maspeth location 1 dispatch

When Robert m Becker was the big guy and the callsign was KUX 597 and who can forget the modats lol
I'm former MOS, too. Didn't retire from there, but wore the green. You know Freddie just died recently.

Thirty-three years later and I've still got this in my head - "Due to the inclement weather, all units are directed to exercise caution while responding to, operating at, and returning from all incidents. By order of Robert M. Becker comma Chief of Operations, K."

Status
Not open for further replies.