New here , question before I buy a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyohnk

Hi, I haven't owned a scanner in 30 years, I started to use a scanner at on my iPhone and remember how much I enjoyed listening so I am thinking of purchasing a new scanner. Everything has changed and I think I'm starting to understand digital scanners but the one thing I can't find a straight answers to.
My county is Project 25 phase 1, and that's what I'm listening to on the Internet scanamer, if I purchase my own skanner would I be able to limit this to just my local city?
Hopefully there's enough information air but you can answer my question ,thanks for your help

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD996XT and I love it. They are popular and range around $300-$400. They can monitor P25 systems, basically once you program the trunked system you desire, the best way is to just lock out the talk groups you dont want to hear.

N8IAA

Hi, I haven't owned a scanner in 30 years, I started to use a scanner at on my iPhone and remember how much I enjoyed listening so I am thinking of purchasing a new scanner. Everything has changed and I think I'm starting to understand digital scanners but the one thing I can't find a straight answers to.
My county is Project 25 phase 1, and that's what I'm listening to on the Internet scanamer, if I purchase my own skanner would I be able to limit this to just my local city?
Hopefully there's enough information air but you can answer my question ,thanks for your help

Nope. Not enough info to help. A scanner can be limited to just a city, as long as it is on the county system.
Larry

tyohnk

Thank you both! You have answered my question. Now if only there was a place with a good Black Friday sale on scanners :)

tyohnk

you could copy and paste the system and someone should be able to give you a break down.
As much as I hate to admit it that's a little over my head right now, I'm kind of a learn by doing guy.

One person had stated that I can block out the talk groups from the other cities in my county that sounds like the type of solution I was looking for .

wtp

tyohnk

Charlotte County Public Services Trunking System, Charlotte County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
i copied the url at the too;of the page.
in my radio i have most of the stuff locked out and just listen to what i want.
so if i just wanted one talkgroup , everything else would be locked out.
if you heat something you don't like, like school bus people, then lock them out.
i was wondering what system you wanted to hear.

Here is the county I'm interested in
Anoka County, Minnesota (MN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
I'm only interested in the coon rapids PD

wtp

it can be done

i myself use uniden radios so i am used to their terminology.
you can set up a system and set up the 840 talkgroup for id scan and only hear that one group.
840 348 D COON PD C2C Coon Rapids Police Car to Car
that is the one that appears to me to be the one you want.
and if you wanted to hear the seat guys.
890 37a D ANKA SO SWAT SWAT Team
you would save that talkgroup (890) and the radio would follow those two.
you can even set the radio to id search and hear a lot more but if things get going good you change it to id scan and only hear the groups you have saved.
id scan means only the saved groups will be heard
id search is to hear everything except anyone that is locked out.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I thought they were out of business! Should I be concerned about buying a RS branded scanner? I assume it's made by someone reputable, but would they service it if RS goes away?

RadioShack hardly provided service for their products anymore and the company that actually manufactures these units (Whistler) has basically said that it's all up to RadioShack how they handle their service. RadioShack itself no longer has a repair shop, doesn't really provide firmware support anymore, and the stories of people trying to deal with their customer support can be pretty sad.

That said, I think many people buy their units because of being familiar with the name and that they tend to let go of their brand new units for a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.