Shack Updated, AGAIN...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Since we rearranged our living situation here to benefit our daughters who attend college now, the shack has been redone, Until such time as I can mount the other antennas and radios, this is what I ended up with for now! The antennas are both brand new as is the RG 56 quad shield cable used. All lengths are less than 50 feet, fed into a Comcast amplified splitter that distributes signal evenly to all radios. A rigrunner is in use for all radios fed by an Astron 32 amp power supply.The 800 mhz. repeater antenna ( LAIRD TECHNOLOGIES - FG-8240 - 824-896 MHZ UNITY GAIN )
works very well on 400,700, and 800 mhz. The 20 foot mast is grounded direct to an 8 foot ground rod below the deck. Our neighborhood has all utilities underground so no noise or interference from lines or transformers.On the other side of the power supply below the mini-PC, I ran a separate feed for quick testing and or any friends who stop by.The edge 9000 bar is a gift from a previous local town OEM Director colleague of mine where I used to volunteer my time, who has since passed on. The shield is from my previous employment. I can't say enough good things about either antenna. The discone is excellent in every way. The 800 dedicated antenn pulls everything very well. Since I live at a decent high altitude, I felt a gain antenna would be overkill. For all my monitoring needs, these two antennas work well together.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im green as the grinch right now.
So does the light bar function?

Yes, it was given to me because it was considered DOA, but I got it working. I also have an old 6 position switch from one of the rigs that is now wired to match this light bar.I just do not keep it plugged in because of the power it draws when lit and as you can see, I'm already sucking up enough juice! ;)

Manny

MrGClips

WOW! That is some seriously cool setup right there! Man, you've got it all! WOW!

Just out of curiosity, how many heads, arms and pair of ears do you have? :D

When I imagine someone operating that station I see a new species of tech-evolved octopus with a huge smile! :D

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
WOW! That is some seriously cool setup right there! Man, you've got it all! WOW!

Just out of curiosity, how many heads, arms and pair of ears do you have? :D

When I imagine someone operating that station I see a new species of tech-evolved octopus with a huge smile! :D

Well, that does it, the secret is out! I am a Generation X tech-created robotic octopus with complex thinking and advanced multi level simultaneous functions for hearing and eyesight. I am programmed to multi-task with my 12 hands and feet. LOL.

I used to think that having multiple radios was nuts, until Sandy Hook happened. Then it hit me, that having this many radios and the ability to monitor large scale events is a much needed not just desired thing....In reality, I want to have 3 more BCT15X radios sitting on top of the current ones, and two more digital scanners ( 996P2 ) sitting on top of the current digital scanners.All in due time!

Manny

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Manny, just how long does your wife let you sit in your Man Cave before she starts coming in to complain that you need to come to the living room and talk to her!!!

Mike

Ps - AWESOME set up by the way!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
All Part Of A Master Plan!

Manny, just how long does your wife let you sit in your Man Cave before she starts coming in to complain that you need to come to the living room and talk to her!!!

Mike

Ps - AWESOME set up by the way!

Mike, I had it all worked out right from the beginning! My wife and I are going on our 27th year together 25 married.Since the beginning, I introduced her to scanning and Ham radio. She is a Ham radio operator advanced class just like me! When I set up my man cave this time, because of space limits, I set it up in our downstairs family room which is now our master bedroom. So when I monitor, my wife is usually an ear shot away listening too. Funny thing is that if I'm not in the room and a department tones out a call, she will listen, evaluate it, and if serious, will come find me to tell me about it. Yup, I got it good!

Manny

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Mike, I had it all worked out right from the beginning! My wife and I are going on our 27th year together 25 married.Since the beginning, I introduced her to scanning and Ham radio. She is a Ham radio operator advanced class just like me! When I set up my man cave this time, because of space limits, I set it up in our downstairs family room which is now our master bedroom. So when I monitor, my wife is usually an ear shot away listening too. Funny thing is that if I'm not in the room and a department tones out a call, she will listen, evaluate it, and if serious, will come find me to tell me about it. Yup, I got it good!
Manny

Yes you do have it good! Thank your lucky stars!

Mike

scannersnstuff

Manny - one of the nicest shack's i've seen. i have 5 of those cobra speaker's. one of the best i've ever used. right now i'm down to using 1 base scanner and 2 portable's.

Blackink

I see multiple scanners, I see multiple radios, I see multiple antennas, but I only see one computer monitor.

Wazzz-up Wid Dat??!!??

Heck of a shack though.....

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yes you do have it good! Thank your lucky stars!

Mike

Mike, I do everyday! LOL

Manny - one of the nicest shack's i've seen. i have 5 of those cobra speaker's. one of the best i've ever used. right now i'm down to using 1 base scanner and 2 portable's.

Love those speakers! Wish I had more. The sound awesome! Notice I have them facing in a downward angle towards my sitting position for best sound.

I see multiple scanners, I see multiple radios, I see multiple antennas, but I only see one computer monitor.

Wazzz-up Wid Dat??!!??

Heck of a shack though.....

Thanks! As far as the monitor question, I can get by with one for now and use laptops if needed. I HAD two 19 inch monitors in line. Unfortunately, when I upgraded to the 24 inch size, two just would not do! I'm working on a plan though, for the spring to upgrade the monitoring desk. I have 3 more BCT15X scanners coming and 2 996P2s to follow. Two monitors will definitely be a must!

Manny

N9JIG

Sheriff
Great shack set up Manny! I have many of the same radios.

I like the way they are set up around the center display, gives a great balance to the operations.

I had a chance at one or two of those strobe bars but figured the wife would finally snap and I would wake up dead. We had these on our squads years ago and they caused a distinctive "twing-twang" noise when on that even carried over on the radio. One could always tell if a guy had his lights on with that. We had issues with them being way too bright at night so they came up with a dimmer switch for them.

Do you have activity lights on the scanners?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Great shack set up Manny! I have many of the same radios.

I like the way they are set up around the center display, gives a great balance to the operations.

I had a chance at one or two of those strobe bars but figured the wife would finally snap and I would wake up dead. We had these on our squads years ago and they caused a distinctive "twing-twang" noise when on that even carried over on the radio. One could always tell if a guy had his lights on with that. We had issues with them being way too bright at night so they came up with a dimmer switch for them.

Do you have activity lights on the scanners?

Rich, I have to be honest here, as many as I have done on other radios, I'm not comfortable doing the COI lights on the BCT15X/996XT radios. I did one or two when I first started tinkering but cant get the courage to do it to these! LOL. I have 5 more radios planned for the spring. ( 3 15X and 2 996P2 ) and one more wide band base antenna..Even then I STILL won't be caught up to you though! :)

Manny

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I found that running the leads for the LEDs thru the DIN slots reduced the deconstruction needs for the radio.

The LED's stick out a bit but it works fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.