New member. Black Friday planning..

Status
Not open for further replies.

atpa8a

Hello forum.

I haven't gotten the license yet but I pass the test prep for Technician every time.Trying to sign up for the exam some time very very soon.

Registered here some time ago but was mostly reading.

Black Friday coming so I thought it could be a good time to buy an HT. Obviously, only listening until I get the license. Considering Yaesu FT1DR/XDR, VX-6R, VX-8GR, VX-8DR, Icom ID-51A and Plus, Kenwood TH-F6A and TH-D72A. I don't want to get into specifics of this list but the pattern is probably noticeable.

All of them allow you to listen to specified frequencies. Now... pardon my ignorance, I don't know what all those bands are and what "services" are available on which bands. For example Yaesu FT-1DR Specifications. What is Air Band? GEN1? GEN2? Can I monitor CB on those HTs?

Any advise for somebody who has no idea about state of radio technology in our day and age? Any comments?

Thank you,

AT.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FT-1DR -- includes Yaesu System Fusion digital voice mode, includes APRS, complicated radio to operate (I own one). Now discontinued, but some dealers may have new old stock at good prices. If you don't have YSF repeaters in your area and don't need APRS, I'd advise a new ham to stay away from this one.

FT-1XDR -- Same as above except has an improved GPS receiver according to Yaesu and a better battery (the FT-1DR is a battery hog). Brand new model, so don't expect deep discounts. Unless Yaesu has made major changes in the user interface, it's probably still a complicated radio to operate.

VX-6R -- I've never used one, but I've heard good reports. No Yaesu System Fusion and no APRS. While the advertising touts coverage of the 222 MHz amateur band in addition to the 144 and 440 MHz amateur bands, the radio only puts out 1.5 watts on 222 instead of the 5 watt rating on the other two bands.

VX-8GR -- No longer available unless you find a dealer with new old stock. Includes APRS. Not the best user interface, but better than the FT-1DR.

VX-8DR -- Includes APRS, but doesn't include an internal GPS receiver so you have buy some expensive accessories to get one. Includes the 222 MHz band, but same 1.5 watts as the VX-6R.

ID-51A -- No longer available unless you find a dealer with new old stock. Includes D-Star digital voice mode. Has some features that might make it easier for a new ham to program repeaters. If there are D-Star repeaters in your area, this might be a good choice.

ID-51A+ -- Current model with same features as the ID-51A plus a few additional features. I think the repeater look-up feature on the + will look up analog repeaters plus D-Star repeaters while the non-+ will just look up D-Star repeaters.

TH-F6A -- Very small radio. If you have big hands or trouble with your fingers, this may not be a good choice. Good user interface. Includes the 222 MHz amateur band with a full 5 watt output. I own one.

TH-D72A -- Larger than the TH-F6A. No 222 MHz band. APRS. Good user interface. Good APRS and packet radio capabilities that the other APRS handhelds don't have. I own one. Good radio, but not cheap.

You linked to the specifications of the FT-1DR. It allegedly receives on all those frequency bands, but the internal filtering is probably not the best and the sensitivity on some bands may not be good. It's a given that the stock antenna is nearly useless on frequencies below 100 MHz or so. Since it covers 1.8 to 30 MHz, then it will receive Citizens Band since those frequencies are around 27 MHz.

atpa8a

Thanks W9BU.

I like TH-D72A the best from the list. It's pricey but... buy once cry once.

I used the link for specs of FT-1DR just for example. It says RX on "108-137 MHz (Air Band)". I don't know what's available on all these bands.Is that aircraft communications? What are GEN1, GEN2?

I would also like to monitor CB. Not going to even mod to transmit on CB. Do any of the HTs above support monitoring CB? Emergency services?

I agree with the posts of some other members that... not that the information for the beginners is hard to find, but it's hard to consolidate in such a way as to make decisions easier.

For example, VX-6R receiver frequencies overlap with CB. Is that enough to be able to listen on those or are there additional parameters that come into play? Looks like the Kenwoods don't even receive on CB frequencies.

AT.

k6cpo

FT-1DR -- includes Yaesu System Fusion digital voice mode, includes APRS, complicated radio to operate (I own one). Now discontinued, but some dealers may have new old stock at good prices. If you don't have YSF repeaters in your area and don't need APRS, I'd advise a new ham to stay away from this one.

FT-1XDR -- Same as above except has an improved GPS receiver according to Yaesu and a better battery (the FT-1DR is a battery hog). Brand new model, so don't expect deep discounts. Unless Yaesu has made major changes in the user interface, it's probably still a complicated radio to operate.

My research shows the FT1DR and the FT1XDR listed together on the Yaesu website and a look at the Ham Radio Outlet website shows no information for the FT1XDR. i suspect the FT1DR is still available and the XDR has not hit the streets yet.

The Yaesu FT-60 is an excellent dual band HT that has been around for quite a while so any bugs it might have had have all been resolved. It's easy to program by hand. It is probably the most recommended entry-level HT out there.

nd5y

I used to have a VX-6R. They can receive AM mode from 0.5 to 30 MHz so it will receive CB but the stock antenna is useless for CB frequencies.

atpa8a

Just figured out that you can attach the GPS thru the speaker/microphone for VX-8DR... thought the adapter was the only way.That option makes it more attractive. More RX frequencies than TH-D72A or am I putting to much into it?

AK9R

Super Moderator
My research shows the FT1DR and the FT1XDR listed together on the Yaesu website and a look at the Ham Radio Outlet website shows no information for the FT1XDR. i suspect the FT1DR is still available and the XDR has not hit the streets yet.
GigaParts lists both radios for sale, Universal Radio says the FT1DR is discontinued and they list the FT1XDR, AES lists both radios and says the FT1DR is a closeout item, R&L Electronics says the FT1DR is discontinued and the FT1XD is in stock.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Just figured out that you can attach the GPS thru the speaker/microphone for VX-8DR... thought the adapter was the only way.That option makes it more attractive.
The FGPS-2 GPS antenna is about $80. It must be attached to either the CT-136 GPS adapter ($38) or the MH-74A7A speaker/mic ($65). Still seems like a expensive and cumbersome solution when other APRS radios have internal GPS receivers.

More RX frequencies than TH-D72A or am I putting to much into it?
Yes, I think you are. None of these handhelds with coverage of the HF frequencies are very good receivers at those frequencies. If you want a shortwave receiver, then buy one and don't try to put too many eggs in one basket.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
...None of these handhelds with coverage of the HF frequencies are very good receivers at those frequencies. If you want a shortwave receiver, then buy one and don't try to put too many eggs in one basket.

I like my TH-F6, but for CB reception, along with any other HF, it is not the best. It works, but it is a bit cumbersome to tune the HF bands with the rig. (It is a jack of all trades type of radio, so it is a master of none.)

I like my TH-D72, as well. I would suggest this one for a dual-band handheld, if you want to have APRS capabilities.

For listening to CB chatter, get a CB from a garage sale or pawn shop. Or get a general coverage receiver, there are some inexpensive options, then you can listen to the other HF radio traffic, too.

Sent via Tapatalk

wb6uqa

Hear cb

I purchased a Kiato 1103 small battery operated radio. It hears cb, ham radio and short wave. The Kiato receives am ,cw and ssb. Broadcast to 30 mhz and fm stereo .Much less expensive than a Ht.

atpa8a

That FT-1XD looks very interesting ($309 on HRO).

I was reading that there some TNC related "deficiencies" operating VX-8DR with a computer.

FT-1xd seem to have a separate data port.

Aside for ruggedness, what do you think makes it cheaper than the vx-8dr?

AT.

AT.

AK9R

Super Moderator
The problem with Yaesu's APRS radios is that they do not give you full access to the TNC like the Kenwood APRS radios do.

The DATA jack on the FT-1D is for connecting a computer to load frequencies into memory, update the firmware, and for Yaesu's microphone camera.

The VX-8DR will transmit on the 6m and 222 MHz bands while the FT-1D will not. Plus, I think Yaesu is artificially lowering the price on their System Fusion radios in order to promote the mode.

You really need to figure out what you want to do in amateur radio before you buy a radio. If you want APRS, buy an APRS radio. If you want digital voice, such as D-Star or System Fusion, then buy a radio that will do that. If you want wide-band receive, then understand that a handheld radio won't do very well.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
W9BU has provided really good details. Read them twice to better understand the good and the bad.

I own or have owned several of the HT radios listed and a few more. Probably some I have forgotten.
Kenwood TH-F6A
Kenwood TH-D72A
Yaesu VX-8GR
Yaesu FT-1DR
Yaesu VX-3R
Yaesu 817ND (Yes, I consider this an HT due to its size and power)

As the OP keeps asking about monitoring CB radio, all of these radios will perform terribly at that unless you use a tuned antenna for 11 meters. Some of these radios will not receive 11 meters at all. Do not be surprised if you don't hear anything using any of those radios, even with a tuned antenna for 11 meters. Hell, even a hand held CB radio with it's long antenna extended doesn't receive too well unless you're outdoors on top of a hill.

Some factors to consider are where, when, and how you will use the radio. Do you need to carry it with you? Will you only use it in the car, or at home?

I have two favorites I would repair/replace if broken:
#1 - 817ND
#2 - TH-D72A

These two radios suit my needs very well. #3 would probably be the FT-1DR, but the front end is easily overloaded on the lower HF frequencies with BCB stations. Listening to HF frequencies on that or the TH-F6A is trivial as they require at least a long wire and balun, along with some kind of band pass or notch filter to get rid of the broadcast band interference, but again that is my issue when using around my location.

Ultimately, I will keep # 1 & 2 because I do use them to transmit. For listening, I use a Yaesu VR-500 handheld receiver. I pair it with a Miracle Ducker IL tuner and with just a rubber duck antenna on there, it tunes in stations where I would normally need to use a long wire. Unfortunately, the VR-500 and Miracle Ducker IL are no longer in production. They're rare on eBay as well.

Still, the FT-1DXR (The new version) may work for you. It has a wide band receive, GPS, APRS, dual receive, and dual band transmit on 2m/70cm. Actually, I believe you can listen to the ball game on an AM station while monitoring the VHF/UHF bands simultaneously. I haven't tried that myself yet. Anyways, there is a lot of radio in that FT-1DXR. It will pick up CB on 11 meters but you'll need a tuned CB antenna to really pick something up at a distance. Even then, the antenna will need to be outside unless the person is only down the block from you. Transmitting five watts on 11 meters is usually coupled with poor performing antennas, so operators aren't transmitting too far as it is.

Don't worry so much about the TNC access on the Yaesu versus the D72A. While I do actually use it for sending/receiving email via Winlink2K when I am camping and out of reach of cellular data service, none of the other operators I know that have the D72A even use the TNC like that. Hell, they don't even use the APRS feature.

Remember this:
#1 If you're not using an antenna tuned for 2 meters or 70 cm and you accidentally transmit on one of those bands, that radio is not going to have a long life.
#2 If you're using a wide band antenna, you're introducing potential interference on the band you want to listen to.

* Do not buy anything. The discounts aren't really that great. Get your license first and then take your time to consider how you will use the HT or any radio for that matter. Then stop and take twice as long to consider the antenna. Some radios can transmit and receive on a lot of bands, but you'll need an antenna, or antennas to make it all work.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
The D72A Kenwood is a good radio I have one,its a Duel band,Packet,APRS and TNC all in one you can do a lot with this radio but really know what you want to do before you buy and do your home work and good luck on your ham test when you take it.........

atpa8a

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not going to buy anything *right now*. And (more importantly!) I don't want to keep anyone away from their plates. :)

I'm really just trying to explore radio as a hobby really... Seems very interesting. Also potentially as backup communications. That's the only real *need*.

I work in IT and have physics education. Digital stuff and computer connectivity is of interest obviously. Want to see what it can do. So trying to pick something that'd allow me to poke around.

CB is not that important really. Just got an idea that it could be useful to monitor. Am I correct that TH-72D receiver doesn't cover CB?

I'm not stuck on a handheld. That FT-817ND looks really cool (no GPS option at all?). More expensive then I was planning to spend on a first radio. I started looking into mobile radios initially but l seems like HTs are less expensive and have a lot of features for a beginner to tinker with. Portability is not essential. Going to lookup mobiles too again. I also don't mind less "built-in" features to start with to keep the cost down and add options later. Please recommend if you have something in mind. Right now TH-72D is the most expensive that I'm considering.

Going to try to register for an exam next week. Not going to be terribly disappointed if I miss the sale but if i'm doing it might as well use the opportunity.

AT.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
CB is not that important really. Just got an idea that it could be useful to monitor. Am I correct that TH-72D receiver doesn't cover CB?.

Correct. The left side receives 136 to 174, and 410 to 470. The right side receives 118 to 174, and 320 to 524.

Sent via Tapatalk

AK9R

Super Moderator
That FT-817ND looks really cool (no GPS option at all?). More expensive then I was planning to spend on a first radio.
The FT-817 has no need for a GPS receiver. It does not have the internal ability to communicate in any mode that would need a GPS receiver.

The FT-817 is geared towards a specialized subset of amateur radio known as HF QRP. Most HF radios (which transmit on the HF amateur radio bands from 160m to 10m) have a maximum power output of 100 watts. QRP is loosely defined as transmitting with less than 5 watts and the 817 only puts out 5 watts. The challenge with QRP is designing efficient antennas and taking advantage of good radio wave propagation to make contacts instead of sheer RF output power. While it's nice that the 817 has the 2m and 70cm amateur bands, I think the radio is really intended for HF. And, quite frankly, I think a new ham starting out with a QRP radio will be somewhat frustrated.

atpa8a

Thinking FT-1XD might be the winner here... hard to beat for $309. I like the TH-72D better but it's more then a hundred more.

The reason I want wideband receive (correct terminology?) is to see what there is on all those bands. I think it's not a bad choice for the first radio.

Did I read it right that it's possible to use TNC with any radio through... mic adapter?..

Thanks all! Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.