I am looking for a police scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I am going to the Mike & Key ARC hamfest on March 5th. Can someone please come up with a list for me as to what brands and models of police scanners to look for that will receive the proj 25 digital trunking system and receive digital voice. It can be ether a ht, base or a mobile. And maby a good price depending on condition. I can fix it if it isn't a basket case. 1 been a peace of junk to be scraped and 10 been brand new in the box, never opened. Also any scanners to avoid period regardless of price or condition.

Steve

R

retiredmich

If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ go on EBAY & bid on one, just remember bidding on one & you win the bid you get what you paid for, I did that & got a real good RS PRO 106 for $200.00, just FYI

steve-kc7byp

i am looking for a police scanner

Ether way. At the hamfest or on Ebay I still need the list as to which brands and models will do the job and which won't. I only know of 1 brand and model so far and that is the Bearcat BCD996XT. And that is because a friend is broadcasting the scanner audio on the internet. The prog is at ProScan The Proscan prog only supports Bearcat scanners. I know there is scanners other then Bearcat that will do the job for less money. I don't need the internet interface to the scanner. Cutting the internet interface will drop the price.

If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ go on EBAY & bid on one, just remember bidding on one & you win the bid you get what you paid for, I did that & got a real good RS PRO 106 for $200.00, just FYI

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Steve-

This site has a great WIKI that covers almost all scanners I can think of. Click on Wiki and select radio models form the drop down. there are categories for digital and analog , photos, lists of features weather the unit supports rebanding ect. once you 'drill' down to individual models most have links to reviews and support. If you want to research before shopping that would be my first stop (and is actually)

Remember to save enough to buy Christmas presents for others :)

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
It's been a fair amount of time since I've last posted the full list. Something to really watch out for is the Pro-651/652 that may have a wiped firmware. When turned on, it will display uP Appl Vers: None. There's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix this issue.

List of APCO Project 25 Digital Scanners

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

Phase I Scanners:

steve-kc7byp

Thanks Spitfire8520. That's the list that I am looking for. That will help when I look at scanners at the hamfest. And by then I will have the page printed out with the spec's for each one on the list.

Steve

GM

Premium Subscriber
Is their any specific band you are looking to monitor with the scanner? VHF? UHF? 700? 800? 900? Sometimes you can get a decent priced one such as a Bearcat BC250D or BC296D that covers P25 Phase 1 digital and conventional digital.

steve-kc7byp

Yes on the VHF? UHF? 700? 800? 900?. The railroad is in the 161 mhz area. The local public transit is in the 453 mhz. The police are on proj 25 phase 1 in the 800 mhz area. I am not sure as to what is in the700 mhz area and the 900 mhz area other then the 900 mhz cordless house phones. I already have 2 RTL dongle's. They work great on analog signals. But I can't get them to decode any digital signals.

Steve

Is their any specific band you are looking to monitor with the scanner? VHF? UHF? 700? 800? 900? Sometimes you can get a decent priced one such as a Bearcat BC250D or BC296D that covers P25 Phase 1 digital and conventional digital.

SCPD

QRT
So let me ask this question.
Money aside, what in everyone's opinion is the best of the four handheld Phase 2 scanners that Spitfire mentioned?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
So let me ask this question.
Money aside, what in everyone's opinion is the best of the four handheld Phase 2 scanners that Spitfire mentioned?

In my opinion the pro668 great P2 scanner and one of the cheaper ones. Free programming also . I keep the original sd card for the software and to use when traveling and a second one for my custom local lists. They can still be found pretty cheap online and have a if out switchable with the headphone jack.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Is the Ham Fest you're going to in the Tri-Cities area? If so you may not find much in the way of a P25 scanner there. I recently went to a Ham Fest in the Portland area, and out of about a hundred tables I only saw one scanner - an older analog Radio Shack model. Lots of old AM radios and Ham gear, but very little for a scanner enthusiast. Perhaps your luck will be better.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I see now, it's in Puyallup. Well you may have some luck there as there's quite a bit of P25 in the Puget Sound area. Good luck!

happyboyherk

FIRST go to cityfreqDOTcom and find what YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO, THEN make YOUR list around that,,where i live i can get by very well buying twenty dollar scanners for parts on ebay BUT I HAVE 45 YEARS of REPAIR experience to the componant level..SOME REPAIRS can be SNIFFED out from the descriptions..AND SOME SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS..avoid a repair shop or EXPERT who cant or WONT FIX something and tells you ITS A FIXABLE BARGAIN..they get a COMMISSION ON SALES like GOOGLE and EBAY SEARCH ENGINES ebay will direct you OFF YOUR SEARCH FOR A PROFIT SALE to a PREFFERRED seller CHANGE YOUR WORDING in the SEARCH five or six times if necessary.make it GENERAL and specific..and dont forget ELEKTROTANYA and DARUdotCOM for service info..NEVER BUY SERVICE manuals on ebay ITS ALL FREE SOMEPLACE email me.its where i get mine..73's..rick

steve-kc7byp

Hi Rick. I 2 have a lot of years under my belt fixing 2 way radios, tv's and vcr's. But my electronics knowledge is some what antiquated. I was working on radios and tvs while the transition from vacuum tubes to the 1st gen point to point transistors was taking place. I am not as good at the newer stuff. But electronics basics and standards still apply.

Steve

FIRST go to cityfreqDOTcom and find what YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO, THEN make YOUR list around that,,where i live i can get by very well buying twenty dollar scanners for parts on ebay BUT I HAVE 45 YEARS of REPAIR experience to the componant level..SOME REPAIRS can be SNIFFED out from the descriptions..AND SOME SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS..avoid a repair shop or EXPERT who cant or WONT FIX something and tells you ITS A FIXABLE BARGAIN..they get a COMMISSION ON SALES like GOOGLE and EBAY SEARCH ENGINES ebay will direct you OFF YOUR SEARCH FOR A PROFIT SALE to a PREFFERRED seller CHANGE YOUR WORDING in the SEARCH five or six times if necessary.make it GENERAL and specific..and dont forget ELEKTROTANYA and DARUdotCOM for service info..NEVER BUY SERVICE manuals on ebay ITS ALL FREE SOMEPLACE email me.its where i get mine..73's..rick

happyboyherk

SAMO SAMO thanks to THE US ARMY 1964 education

ok i am new to these NEWFANGLED posts and boards.this is my FIRST attempt so please let me know my FAUPAWS..you sound like you have well above average knowledge but just need to get into deeper water to get experiance of soild state and microcircuitry..the best way to reverse engineer an unknown piece of gear is INSPECTION more equipment has been RUINED by a quick hand with a HOT IRON. todays flex cables and low current circuit boards ARE NOT MADE FOR REWORK.the best friend you can have is your favorites page for""ALLDATASHEETdotCOM""get the ic number and reverse engineer from that pinout list and data sheet..ebay is a great source for BROKEN JUNK to learn on. and surprisingly SOME WORKS they just cant admit THEY CANT OPERATE IT EITHER (and neither can I)in some cases.dont ask me to program a digital freq scanner.too many dead brain cells i just use analog FM but the amount of FREE DATA. is UNREAL if i am not bounced for illegal posting its HAPPYBOYHERK@gmailDOTcom.. i'm looking for the website i lost that is instructional for REPAIR OFmodern LCD TVs and the arcade game servicing was something you might fancy COINOPdotORG i think but they cut WAY BACK on freebies let me stop my ramble here and see if it gets posted??? 73 to the group ..rick

Status
Not open for further replies.