Will you be buying the Provoice Upgrade?

Will you be buying the Provoice upgrade for the x36HP scanners?

• Yes, I have a system to listen to in the areas I monitor.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • Yes, I don't have a system to listen to but I still want the upgrade.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • No, there are no systems in the areas I monitor.

Votes: 75 55.1%
  • No, it's too expensive but I have systems I could listen to.

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • No, the systems near me are upgrading and will be shutdown in the near future.

Votes: 16 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Let's keep this thread based on whether or not you will be buying the upgrade.

Let's not use it to question how wise Uniden is in offering it. There's plenty of other threads out there for that.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Seeing how San Antonio is all ProVoice (which they indicated they are keeping for 7 more years) and I pass through it several times a years I'll probably get it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I said "No there are no systems in my area" although I could have said "No, the systems near me are upgrading" as well (if I consider places I travel as being "near me"). I'd be shocked if any of them are around a year from now.

wise871

Database Admin
No because it wasn't tested on Florida SLERS and I'm not paying to be a beta tester. An no, not all SLERS talk groups are encrypted because I listen to the system daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yes as I have a mixed mode Analog/Provoice system within shouting distance of my home...and that system is not going Harris P25 till late next year so I will have plenty of time to get some use out of the feature and to hopefully help improve the database here at RR.

Marshall KE4ZNR

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have an EDACS EA Provoice system in the area. Given the three plus years it took to completely build-out the system, I will likely have another five years or more of listening.

73 Eric

WQPW689

Yes, I have retired co-worker friends scattered all over Florida that I see fairly frequently, so I'll give it a shot on the 436.

If it turns out there's enough non-encrypted stuff on SLERS I'm interested in in Palm Beach Co., I might spring for the 536 also.

AJ1L

Premium Subscriber
I believe the only Provoice system in the Boston, MA area is the MBTA subway system. This activity doesn't interest me, so I doubt I'll be buying for my 536 or 436.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I will be purchasing the upgrade when I decide to buy the 436HP. There are a number of systems Worldwide that will be staying ProVoice well past the sunset date of EDACS so it is a handy feature that I will get plenty of use out of. Plus I'll only have to carry one radio around with me instead of two... :)

bama9999

I had to sell my 536 due to financial difficulties. Being on a small, fixed disability income doesn't go very far! :(

However, if I still had my 536, I'd be on this upgrade like white on rice! The county I live in, and all the towns in it, use EDACS Provoice. While I can monitor it using a couple of the cheap dongles and Unitrunker and DSD+, it sure would be nice to have a more portable setup.

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
Absolutely NOT. Given the fact that Uniden fails to delivery on their promises for the past 2 years is a complete FAIL in my book

wise871

Database Admin
Who told you that? Whoever it was, was not accurate in their reportage.

Funny, except for what I have personally listed for Okaloosa and Walton County and Okeechobee by another user I see no other non- encrypted talkgroups listed on SLERS. So you're telling me your beta tester has actually listen to audio traffic? As everyone knows, all law-enforcement channels are encrypted but some Fire agencies are not. I figure if there were other unencrypted talk groups on SLERS they would have been listed by now.

Without giving testers name, what county and agency was tested? We've seen videos on San Antonio and you told us the Dallas airport was tested so I see no problems with disclosing which area in Florida was tested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Voyager

Mike, you need another option:

O - Yes. I will buy it if I plan to travel to an area that uses a ProVoice system, but I will wait until then to purchase.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, that particular tester is very insistent that no information be given out that could in any way be used to identify them. So, no, I will not provide that information. But, it was (and continues to be) tested by them and one other tester is also headed that way.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Does Pro Voice have that beeping noise that analog EDAC had out of trunk mode? I can still here that noise. Beep beep beep. No Pro Voice in these parts. Still circling the block for DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.