Pro Voice users in NC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Johnston County is pretty much the only Provoice player left in NC.

From my understanding they will be running Provoice until late 2016 at which point
they will switch to Harris P25.

Still working on getting an updated, accurate list of both their analog and Provoice talkgroups.

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It is my understanding my scanner the BCD396XT will not decode that. So no.

I have no idea what your post above means.

The original post was asking about which radio systems in NC use Provoice due to the upcoming firmware upgrade for the BC436HP and BCD536HP that will allow those scanners to decode Provoice.
I replied that the Johnston County is the only Provoice system currently in use in this area.
No one said anything about the BCD396XT so I don't know where you got that from. :confused:
Please carefully read over the posts before responding in the future to help prevent confusion.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

WA4MJF

I have no idea what your post above means.

The original post was asking about which radio systems in NC use Provoice due to the upcoming firmware upgrade for the BC436HP and BCD536HP that will allow those scanners to decode Provoice.
I replied that the Johnston County is the only Provoice system currently in use in this area.
No one said anything about the BCD396XT so I don't know where you got that from. :confused:
Please carefully read over the posts before responding in the future to help prevent confusion.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Reads as if he meant that he can't monitor provoice and so he does not know of any users in NC. Reply to OP

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Reads as if he meant that he can't monitor provoice and so he does not know of any users in NC. Reply to OP

Ronnie,
You create more confusion than helping some times.
I know the original poster and I know that he was asking if there was any other ProVoice systems other than Johnston County because he (like many others in Central NC) is interested in the fact that Uniden is providing a firmware upgrade for their BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners that will allow unencrypted Provoice system reception.
JimBoyle was looking to see if this update would allow reception of other Provoice Systems in NC other than JoCo.

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well color me confused. My apologies for posting when I should not have.

No worries. We appreciate your attempts to help just make sure you read carefully
the topic at hand to help prevent confusion. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

Is Hickory's main system ProVoice or OpenSky? I never can remember and always confuse the two.

I know the P25 simulcast is in the database but I can't find the main system anywhere.

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is Hickory's main system ProVoice or OpenSky? I never can remember and always confuse the two.

I know the P25 simulcast is in the database but I can't find the main system anywhere.

Draf
unless something has changed I do believe Hickory is an OpenSky system.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jimboyle

I literally have a screw loose !
I'm just wondering if it's worth $ 50.00 to monitor Jo CO. and a fading trunking protocol.

WA4MJF

Ronnie,
You create more confusion than helping some times.
I know the original poster and I know that he was asking if there was any other ProVoice systems other than Johnston County because he (like many others in Central NC) is interested in the fact that Uniden is providing a firmware upgrade for their BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners that will allow unencrypted Provoice system reception.
JimBoyle was looking to see if this update would allow reception of other Provoice Systems in NC other than JoCo.

Marshall KE4ZNR

I was speaking of MBoz, you seemed confused about what his post meant.
I understand what both are saying.

Drafin

Thanks Marshall, I knew someone would know.

I just don't know why I can't keep that one straight in my mind. Old age setting in for me perhaps. :) For some reason I always confuse it when someone talks about the Hickory system.

Thanks again,
Draf

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Johnston County is pretty much the only Provoice player left in NC.

From my understanding they will be running Provoice until late 2016 at which point
they will switch to Harris P25.

Still working on getting an updated, accurate list of both their analog and Provoice talkgroups.

Marshall KE4ZNR

How does the x36hp do decoding the Johnston County system? Saw your ProVoice video on YouTube.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
How does the x36hp do decoding the Johnston County system? Saw your ProVoice video on YouTube.

Surprisingly well considering I live in West Raleigh :)

Even have UID (RID) decoding working reliably.

I am working on putting together an accurate list of talkgroups for the Johnston County
system (though if anyone has already got a database compiled from using DSD+ and the like I would greatly appreciate you passing that info along).

Marshall KE4ZNR

msigmon3306

Hickory

Thanks Marshall, I knew someone would know.

I just don't know why I can't keep that one straight in my mind. Old age setting in for me perhaps. :) For some reason I always confuse it when someone talks about the Hickory system.

Thanks again,
Draf

Drafin and others,

Hickory is a hybrid Opensky/P25 system. Opensky does their voice traffic and MDT traffic, the voice traffic from Opensky is routed to a server in their comm center and is converted to P25 and retransmitted. At least that's how their former comms guy explained it to me.

On the top of their P7100's there's a toggle switch--flipped to the left, the radio is Opensky, flipped to the right it's P25. I used one of these radios the last time I was an Incident Commander at Octoberfest. You could set the toggle switch in either position and hear and transmit exactly the same except the Opensky setting was a bit more mechanical sounding.

The HPD guys I was working with asked that we stay exclusively on Opensky, no one ever explained why. Me, being a radio guy--I just couldn't resist so I'd switch back and forth all day and no one ever knew the difference. That was 5 years ago and I've turned the reins over to others now but I don't think the system's changed any. I'm pretty sure that most of those portables have been replaced by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.