ARC536: ARC536 0.98 build 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I see that a new build has been released, but the manual has not been updated with a list of what was fixed or changed.

Gommert, is there a chance of getting an updated list?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just minor bug fixes, no new options were added.

Gommert
Butel Software

Hi Gommert,

I upgraded to the latest Version 098 Build 8 of ARC536PRO but now I can no longer use Virtual Control via the GPS hardware port set to any baud rate. Normally it is set to 115200 baud.

I don't know if there was a version between Version 097 Build 4 or not and of so, I'd not tried it. The Check for new version never notified me of any new versions, even this Version 098 Build 8.

Anyway, I downloaded and upgraded the version manually and the splash screen now shows Version 098 Build 8 but I can no longer run VC with my hardware GPS port like I always have.

I had to use Win 7's programs feature and remove Version 098 B8 that way and then reinstall Version 097 Build 4 and now my hardware connection to the 536HP GPS port works again.

Any reason Version 098 Build 8 would have broken my direct connection to my 536HP's GPS serial port?

I looked in regedit and the Com port was still showing (1x really) and the speed was showing 115200 (115200x really) but still no connection.
I had to hookup the USB cable in order to use the VC feature in this new version 098 Build 8.

I saw lots of VC options in the VC section of Regedit for ARC536PRO but I did not touch any of them not knowing what they all do.

Anything I can change to get the VC mode to use my hardware GPS port with this new Version 098 Build 8 again?
When I click the VC button, the VC window does not even attempt to open with Version 098 Build 8 but opens and works just fine with Version 097 Build 4. Of course I still need to use the USB cable when reading or writing favorites with ARC536PRO and that still works with version 098 Build 8.

I purposely do not use the USB port as the connector is so close to the Volume knob that it gets in the way of my fingers so I do everything I can via the GPS port on the rear other than working with the radios favorites or main database or even firmware. I often use a card reader for those functions as well for the same reason I don't like using the 536HP's front panel USB port.

I seem to recall someone else having this problem after a version upgrade and you told them to edit a regedit setting but I could not find that info.

Please advise if there is a way I can use the 536HP GPS port again with this latest version!

Thanks Much!

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Is com1 listed in the usb/com list of VC?

The software has no way to know if the scanner is connected to the front or rear port so it should work if all baudrates are set to 115200

Gommert
Butel Software

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Is com1 listed in the usb/com list of VC?

The software has no way to know if the scanner is connected to the front or rear port so it should work if all baudrates are set to 115200

Gommert
Butel Software

I could not say Gommert as the VC screen never even opens!

In the 536Pro version prior to this latest one, the VC screen does open and it does list Com1.

I'll run a test and setup the radio to use the USB port as a serial port and see if the latest version then opens the VC screen.

I've had issues with other Butel software not seeing all my Com ports. I have about 30 of them. The first 13 are some variation of a true 16550 UART driven serial port and the remainders are some variation of USB driven port, mostly FTDI based adapters.
There can be some Silicon Labs and Prolific branded USB to serial devices in the mix as well but those are usually built into the radios or other devices.

I'm wondering if the latest version of ARC536 Pro is having issues when it looks at my Win7 port list but some of them do not exist because the device is turned off.
I'll see if I can determine a solution that works with the latest version and try and make sure I can duplicate the problem before I report back.

One thought before I go testing, is it possible the latest version is looking for one of my Uniden ports and when it does not see them, it does not open the VC screen?

I do have two Uniden serial ports that come alive when I use the USB cable and select Serial Port mode on both a 536HP and a HomePatrol 1.
Maybe ARC536 Pro is looking for those ports and when it does not see them active, it does not even open the VC screen.

With the prior version, the VC screen opens fine regardless if either Uniden port exists or not.
I should be able to duplicate this problem pretty easy and determine if that is the cause.

I'll report my findings in a bit.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
VC should always load, it scans your system for available ports and lists them. Even without any active ports is should load.

Gommert
Butel Software

All fixed Gommert!

It turned out being a conflict with the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge built into my Icom R2500 receiver.
If that receiver was on (which enables the port in Win 7), The VC window would not open in ARC536Pro Version 0.98 Build 8 for anything. In fact, I learned that it hung ARC536Pro when the R2500 was on and the VC window would not open. I'd need to force it closed with Task Manager.
I later learned that simply turning the R2500 off also allowed ARC536 to continue running and open the VC window.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Silicon Labs driver but no luck.
I also tried three different versions of the SilLabs driver but still no luck.

If I turned the R2500 off (which removes the active port in windows device manager), the VC window opened fine in ARC536 Pro.
Go figure.

I then recalled something that I think is correct. Something I recalled was that your comm routine does not search for ports above port 99.

So I renumbered the Silicon Labs CP210x port to 200 instead of 13 or 30 (I'd tried both). I'll be darn, that worked!!

I can now leave the R2500 on or off and the VC window now opens just fine in the latest build of ARC536 Pro!

Did something change in the com port routine between this latest version of ARC536Pro and the prior version? I figure something must have as the older version worked fine even with the R2500 powered on.

There appears to be some conflict with the Silicon Labs CP210x UART Bridge driver (any version) and ARC536Pro's comm routine.
Moving the Silicon Labs port to a high number above 100 fixes the problem.
Luckily, the Icom control software allows use of port numbers all the way up to 256 or it can use the radio's serial number for direct access bypassing port numbers. I also have another control software package called Radio Control made in Austria. That software address's the R2500 by the units serial number so it also still runs the R2500 even on Com 200.

I do notice a small amount of lag before the VC window opens that did not exist in the previous version but I think that is just ARC536 scanning for active ports each time you click and open the VC window.
That lag existed with the R2500 off and it's Silicon Labs driver removed or with the R2500 on and the driver installed. I assume that is just the way the comm routine works in ARC536 now. It's nothing bad at all though and the lag is maybe 2 or 3 seconds before the VC window opens.
That lag could also be caused by the large amount of Com ports I have installed.

So, all is now good and VC is working just fine with the new version!
It still remembers my 536 com port and auto starts the VC feature as well when I click the VC button.

Thanks for your reply which made me take the time to troubleshoot the issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.