Antenna upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

I've had these antennas for a few years now, my signal is decent I'd say. Can anyone tell me what antennas may be better then the ones in the picture below? I can't remember the exact model numbers one is diamond, and the other is laird. I'm looking for more gain, I'm using cheap cable right now however I plan to change that when/if I decide to try a new antenna. These are used for VHF/UHF.

9fcb6284e4d67777fd725f5e22fbe841.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ab5r

Much information is needed to answer. What frequencies are you wanting to listen too? What is the geographical lay of the land? Are you in a hole behind a mountain etc.? How far are the stations from you and are they scattered in different directions?

Obviously, you have a discone which is a reasonable Omni-directional antenna with reason to distance, The Yagi antenna is hard to discern, but would be fair of directional listening. Gain could be obtained by additional elements on the Yagi. There "might" be a tradeoff adding elements and narrowing the bandwidth of received frequencies.
Hope this helps.

Colton25

I'm located in a valley however everything is located within the valley. Mostly 150's for frequencies. Farthest is maybe 50 miles, and the antennas are approx 30' high. I've been told upgrading my cable will help a lot.

marksmith

That's what I was going to say. If you have decent reception now with cheap cable, the biggest signal loss from an antenna is due to cable length and quality.

You can probably significantly improve your range and efficiency of your antennas with good cable. I would do that first. You might decide you are happy with the antennas you have, which are made by reputable antenna manufacturers.

You seem to have an omni and a directional. Clearly with the directional you are pointing at something. Fine tuning that antenna after cable upgrade might improve things as well.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Colton25

Yeah, just wish it was easier to bring the antenna down, anyone know of any ways to make some kind of telescoping mast?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

Colton25

Is the first one heavy duty? Also would you put this in concrete?

Last edited:

Colton25

Anyone recommend a place to buy good quality cable?

Colton25

Do you think it would be fine mounting it the same way I have it set up now? Here are some pictures of my current setup.
1989d9804dd986c46de0c77da9a9abc7.jpg

eafa57193a39d59e300fcd31bf4f79ec.jpg

It is. You could put it in concrete if you wanted to, or mount it to the side of a house.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Much too heavy for that mount. You might have to go with a longer mast from ground level to get the same height. I'd use 4 4-inch brackets to the house and the bottom section in a 5 gallon bucket of cement at a minimum with a 40 foot mast to get the same height.

Colton25

I thought about going to ground I just don't want to lose height in the mast, can I put a piece of heavy gauge pipe from the ground up to this point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Mast is just pipe. I use 1-1/4" EMT conduit for my masts that are just one section as it is easier to find and usually cheaper. I remember putting up some commercial repeaters years ago where we used 2 2" 10 foot sections of EMT. The biggest thing is that you don't want to use the EMT couplers, but bolt the sections together with brackets for the best strength. It isn't always the prettiest, but it is functional. Those systems were put up in the early 90's and I see them still standing drive by the antenna sites still today.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.