I am in! I passed my Technician exam!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

I am happy to report I ACED my Technician License exam tonight!!!!!!!!

All those hours of studying and taking practice exams paid off. I would also like to thank all of you guys that helped me on here with your posts and off-line via PM! Great bunch of guys on this forum and I am fortunate to be a member on here.

Your advice, support and feedback have proved to be invaluable to me!

Now its on to the General License exam. I have already ordered Gordon West's General License study guide book which I should have by next week and I have downloaded the HAM study guide app on my phone. My target date is to be ready by the end of December which will be the next available exam date in my area. However, if the holidays tie me up somehow, I will be shooting for the end of January 2016. I plan on taking my time and getting some quality studying time in, as there would be nothing more I would want then to ace my General exam as well!

Anyhow, thanks again guys, glad to be a member of the HAM community!!! :)

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Congratulations on your passing the test

and getting your Tech license! You'll find a lot of help here at RR as you stated, so study some more and get the General. Once you pass the test for General, you can immediately use that licensed frequencies and privileges, no need to wait for the FCC to post the results!

teufler

Passing the exam, its like a piece of cake. Now welcome to the world of ham radio, hold onto your wallet because there are lots of "trinkets" that you will buy or want to buy. No matter what you get, someone has something better.

KE0GXN

Many thanks guys!!! :)

Oh yeah, believe me I am quickly learning this hobby is not cheap by any means. And I thought scanning was expensive... :p

Shiny :confused:

MrGClips

Well done! Just as I wrote it a week ago. You WILL be a happy ham with a huge smile! Congrats! :D

Ps: and by all means, after a brief celebration and a little break, DO continue and start your prep for the General Class!

KE0GXN

Question for you guys....

With the Holiday and all this week, when can I expect to maybe start checking for my call sign? I overheard my main VE talking with the other VEs about trying to get our paperwork submitted the next day, but with no mail going out that day (Thanksgiving Day) he seemed to think our stuff may take a little longer to get processed. Don't know if testing so close to the weekend too would affect it as well....?

Any thoughts?

MrGClips

Question for you guys....

With the Holiday and all this week, when can I expect to maybe start checking for my call sign? I overheard my main VE talking with the other VEs about trying to get our paperwork submitted the next day, but with no mail going out that day (Thanksgiving Day) he seemed to think our stuff may take a little longer to get processed. Don't know if testing so close to the weekend too would affect it as well....?

Any thoughts?

You probably have to wait a few extra days because of the holiday, but it's coming, don't worry. :)

nd5y

when can I expect to maybe start checking for my call sign?
Normally the FCC ULS database is updated overnight after each business day.

That means on a normal week the updated data will appear early Tuesday through Saturday mornings. I don't know for sure exactly what time they do it but I heard it is usually 2AM ET.

How long it takes depends on when the VE enters the data and when the FCC actually processes it.

Last edited:

KE0GXN

Normally the FCC ULS database is updated overnight after each business day.

That means on a normal week the updated data will appear early Tuesday through Saturday mornings. I don't know for sure exactly what time they do it but I heard it is usually 2AM ET.

How long it takes depends on when the VE enters the data and when the FCC actually processes it.

Thanks for the info. I would be lying if I said I am not a little anxious to see what call the FCC will assign me. I can only hope my VE got on the ball and sent it in already. I guess I'll start checking Tuesday and go from there. May be tempted to check Monday though.... :D

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Statebear,

Congratulations on passing!

Submission will likely be impacted with TurkeyDay. It is possible if the VE have something like W5YI close at hand like we do here in the DFW metroplex. We hand deliver the paperwork to W5YI and then they submit electronically the information to FCC. Skipping the delay of snail-mail to the FCC.

Usually we test on the weekend, hand deliver the forms on Mon. and the call sign show up on Wed. or Thur. That's best case no holidays, database down or any other issues common to bureaucracy dealings. :D

Mike

KE0GXN

Thanks Mike!

I overheard my VE talking about an electronic method, however if I am not mistaken he stated it was not set-up yet in our area, although it may be a possibility in the future. So I am pretty sure its getting done by snail-mail. :(

To piggy back on what you posted on MrG's thread, I agree. Passing is the main goal, I think me and him think alike that if you set your goal at scoring 100%....well you are almost guaranteed to pass. Where as maybe if you just set a goal of just passing you may miss one to many.....

I was fortunate enough to score 100%, but in the grand scheme of things you are right, it does not matter, I doubt my license will say 100% Exam Score Technician Class Operator. :)

The fact was, myself and two college students were the only examinees. They both did not score perfect, but they left there with the same license grant I did. I used the ace deal as just more of a motivator for me to do well.

Anyhow, it was cool to see the VE's reaction and face when I was the first one done and after grading my exam he stated, "You passed, perfect score, congratulations."

I don't consider myself academically inclined by any means and even less when it comes to the knowledge of the radio art. So for me, it felt good to be the oldest examine there and still be able to hang.

In sum, for me the license is just the invitation needed to learn. Once I get active and start meeting other HAMs that is when the real learning begins. :D

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The various VECs (the coordinators for the local VE teams) have various policies and procedures for submitting test results. The ARRL VEC requires that their VE teams mail the test session paperwork to the ARRL office in Connecticut. ARRL staffers then review the paperwork and prepare an electronic submission to the FCC's Electronic Batch Filing (EBF) system. This can cause some delay. The Laurel VEC allows their VE teams to submit test results electronically and then Laurel submits everything to the FCC EBF. This typically goes faster than the ARRL process. I can't speak for the other VECs.

Your other challenge right now is that the FCC EBF has been experiencing some issues. Supposedly, they are getting caught up, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see some delay.

FCC License and Examination File Processing System Getting Back on Track

KE0GXN

W9BU, yes, the way you put it is the way they put it to us. It goes to Connecticut, gets reviewed and then submitted to the FCC. I don't believe my team does or is allowed electronic filing, at least not yet. The main VE specifically stated he would try and put them in the mail the next day. Hopefully he did, not that it mattered because the next day was Thanksgiving, which meant no pick-up that day.

Hopefully it was picked up today its on a truck heading down the Interstate to Newington or in the air somewhere.

I will read the link you provided. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.