Unitrunker and Provoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, the program only detects unencrypted ProVoice. If UniTrunker displays "ProVoice" - it is not encrypted...

Is this still true today? I seem to have an encrypted Provoice talkgroup on a EDACS systems, which sounds just like the talkgroup in this video. In Unitrunker it doesn't display any encryption flag, just the standard "Dig" flag. I can hear other Provoice TG's on this same system, so I'm thinking it's either encrypted or scrambled.

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Is this still true today? I seem to have an encrypted Provoice talkgroup on a EDACS systems, which sounds just like the talkgroup in this video. In Unitrunker it doesn't display any encryption flag, just the standard "Dig" flag. I can hear other Provoice TG's on this same system, so I'm thinking it's either encrypted or scrambled.

FYI, after reviewing other data sources I've confirmed the provoice TG I was hearing is definitely Encrypted. I gather, then, that Unitrunker does now decode Encrypted provoice, but apparently it doesn't track the ENC flag, is that correct?

SCPD

QRT
Hi Nate;

The thread you quoted was for the Retro version and described the program's ability to *detect* a voice channel using ProVoice. The purpose of this feature was to give users a clue that they had found a voice channel - not an EDACS control channel (and to keep looking).

Detection was carried forward into the current Unitrunker program - and later removed as it wasn't found as useful as originally thought. This detection feature is separate from and totally different to the message structure found on the control channel.

From the EDACS control channel, you *should* see "Dig" for a Provoice channel.

I can't remember if it is possible to tell whether a ProVoice working channel is also encrypted without actually tuning to the working (voice) channel. That work was done prior to 2007.

If you have decode logs that capture examples of both clear and encrypted ProVoice, I can examine the logs to see if something needs / can be done with the program to distinguish the two.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From what I recall there was no way to determine if a ProVoice talkgroup was encrypted or not over the air.

SCPD

QRT
I have Tom's sample in front of me. Nothing jumps out. However, there are several flavors of EDACS so I'd also like to see any decode logs Nate might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.