Best mobile unit for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdillardtiger

First off, I want to say I do not have my license yet, but have been studying and am taking the exam next week. I want a mobile unit to mount in my Jeep that I can use when I get my license, I would like it to be VHF/UHF. Are there any mobile units that drop down in power low enough to legally use MURS? Because, I live on a farm and we use RMM2050s right now and it would be nice to be able to communicate with other family members on the farm without bringing another HT when in my jeep.

Thanks for the help.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
First off, I want to say I do not have my license yet, but have been studying and am taking the exam next week. I want a mobile unit to mount in my Jeep that I can use when I get my license, I would like it to be VHF/UHF. Are there any mobile units that drop down in power low enough to legally use MURS? Because, I live on a farm and we use RMM2050s right now and it would be nice to be able to communicate with other family members on the farm without bringing another HT when in my jeep.

Thanks for the help.

There are no ham only radios that you can use on MURS, legally.

Hopefully that is all that needs to be said on that particular bit. Some others might be able to list some commercial VHF radios that are type accepted for MURS use, those can be used on ham bands.

Sent via Tapatalk

N8IAA

Vertex VX-354. It is a handheld that works on MURS. It does do actual narrow band settings, and can be set to the proper power levels.
Larry

SCPD

QRT
First thing is, where are you going to mount the radio in the Jeep? Do you have enough room under the dash to mount a radio, or are you going to need a radio with a remote face? And since you want to use it on MURS, you're going to need one that's easy to modify.

Like krokus said, you're not supposed to transmit on ham radios outside of the ham bands.

So after you decide between a few radios, and before you buy, do a google search for out of band mods on the radios you're looking at. Just about any of the ham radios have a simple method to make them transmit in the same range that they receive. Clip a diode, unsolder something. But make sure you have the equipment to do the modification. Some call for removing surface mount components, which isn't done well with a 35 watt Weller.

N5TWB

Thanks for the help.

A little confusing here since you refer to both mobile units and handhelds in the same capability inquiry. Giving it my best shot to point you toward possible solutions, I'd first echo the earlier info that there are no dual-band ham radios that will work MURS legally. Shift your search toward commercial equipment that covers the desired ham band, too. If you want to stick with VHF MURS, I'd point you toward the ICOM line for a F5061 for a mobile or a F3161 for a handheld.

Since you mention that you want to be in contact with family members, you ought to consider GMRS on UHF as an alternative. Family communication is the point of that licensed radio service. Then I'd suggest you look at Connect Systems handhelds as alternatives for working both ham and GMRS.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
The rules for MURS state that the unit may not be capable of transmitting on any other service. This is, as far as I know, unique to MURS.

Yes, it can be done, but perhaps some would rather not tell how on a public forum.

Because MURS is only 2 watts output power, there are no, as far as I know, mobile MURS radios.

Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.