Mobile County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Mobile County is building, or at least supposed to be, a P25 system to replace the EDACS Pro Voice/analog system being used by the city and county.

Since Uniden has announced a Pro Voice upgrade to the x36HP scanners, I'm considering buying the upgrade. The only question I have is how long the EDACS system will be operational. I'm in the Mobile area 2-3 times a year and I have to wonder if the cost will be worth it or if the EDACS system will be shut down in a year or so.

Anyone have any idea of the time line to get the P25 system on line?

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
The p25 towers for mobile are already up and working. When the full switch over will happen no one who knows has posted that information yet. It could happen tomorrow. More than likely police and sheriff will be encrypted and fire and ems in the clear. That is the way the trend has been. If you would like to hear mobile county in the future you better get a p25 phase 2 scanner.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436 and listen to what I can in Baldwin County when I'm down here. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the $50.00 to add Pro Voice. There's really nothing around where I live other than the transit system, and even their police department doesn't use the Pro Voice system.

If nothing else, I'll add the Mobile sites to my 436 and listen to what I can on that when it's operational.

Thanks.

Of course, I'll be sitting at my son's house in Fairhope watching Iron Bowl this afternoon, so the scanner won't be on at all. :)

The p25 towers for mobile are already up and working. When the full switch over will happen no one who knows has posted that information yet. It could happen tomorrow. More than likely police and sheriff will be encrypted and fire and ems in the clear. That is the way the trend has been. If you would like to hear mobile county in the future you better get a p25 phase 2 scanner.

MFRD8539

The Phase II system should be operational sometime during 2016. A lot of work is on-going at a fast pace.

KG4ODQ

I was thinking about buying a BCD436HP until I read BamaScan's post. Just to make sure I understand correctly: Once they switch over I wouldn't be able to hear Police and Sheriff in Mobile/Mobile County anymore, even with the ProVoice upgrade installed, correct?

MFRD8539

You will require a 700 MHz P25 Phase II capable scanner to hear anything when the system goes online. ProVoice is being phased out.

KG4ODQ

You will require a 700 MHz P25 Phase II capable scanner to hear anything when the system goes online. ProVoice is being phased out.

Thanks for the quick response. So I checked the Uniden website. The BCD436HP scanner is capable of APCO 25 Phase II as well as receiving the 700 Mhz band. My question actually was, will the signal on the new 700 Mhz system be encrypted? I'm hearing the Police and Sheriff will be encrypted and the Fire and EMS won't. If so, will the scanner be capable of decrypting it? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure I don't end up with a $500 weather radio ... ;-)

bama9999

Thanks for the quick response. So I checked the Uniden website. The BCD436HP scanner is capable of APCO 25 Phase II as well as receiving the 700 Mhz band. My question actually was, will the signal on the new 700 Mhz system be encrypted? I'm hearing the Police and Sheriff will be encrypted and the Fire and EMS won't. If so, will the scanner be capable of decrypting it? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure I don't end up with a $500 weather radio ... ;-)

In regards to the question of whether or not the scanner will de-crypt it, the answer is no. No scanner is capable of de-crypting it, and even if it could, it would be illegal to do so.

KG4ODQ

In regards to the question of whether or not the scanner will de-crypt it, the answer is no. No scanner is capable of de-crypting it, and even if it could, it would be illegal to do so.

Thank you bama9999! That's what I thought and you confirmed it.I guess the good ole' days of listening in on the live action are over...Oh well, one can always listen to channel 19 on the CB band...Thanks again for the quick response.

bama9999

You're welcome, glad to help. There's still a good bit to listen to that isn't encrypted, but the things to listen to are shrinking indeed. The ProVoice system in use here in Harrison county MS is still pretty interesting to listen to with no encryption, but once they change over to the MSWIN system in the future, I'm not sure what will happen, but hope they'll remain in the clear.

scanner1143

City of Mobile & Mobile County Police Agencies are ALL Encrypred

As of about 3 months ago all of the Municipalities in Mobile County switch over to the new Harris Radio System and they are all Encrypted except Mobile County Fire & EMS as well as The County Fire and EMS are clear as well.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yes. The Federal Government eventually wants all of the nationwide LE systems to be encrypted. They are throwing all sorts of grant money at these projects. When they throw grant money at these systems they are required to encrypt LE>

Status
Not open for further replies.