Why Oh Why Paul Opitz, Why Oh Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

UPMan Paul Opitz said in a new thread:

Uniden is breaking the "other digital formats" barrier by offering an upgrade to the BCD436HP and BCD536HP to add the ability to monitor EDACS ProVoice systems. Ok, so I know that this isn't Huge, Tremendous, etc. for everyone. But, if you've lived in a dark zone like San Antonio, Albuquerque, Ottawa, Honolulu, or any of the other markets where ProVoice is king, I think you do have something to be excited about.

We are putting some finishing touches on it now, (UIDs are handled a bit differently than we expected, so we're getting that nailed away...but it will push the update into December).

When it is all ready, we'll publish a standard firmware update that includes several fixes including the "don't hang on boot when USB is connected" that we had intended for the last update, the ability to scan EDACS Extended Addressing systems, and the ability to enter a key to unlock ProVoice decoding.

The ProVoice capability will be a $50 upgrade, which almost covers our development and licensing costs. I've been listening to DFW airport for a few weeks and it sounds fantastic. If you've got ProVoice where you live, you are definitely going to want this update.

Why Oh Why Paul Opitz, Why Oh Why ? Why can't you just release the update that was due the end of this month, and add the ProVoice and other digital stuff in December or January. You are not being fair to the folks who have patiently waited two years for the ANALYZE functions to be completed, and for the botched previous firmware upgrade. Many of them may not interested in ProVoice, so just make that another firmware upgrade sometime in December or January?.

Put out what you got and let's start testing it now while you work on ProVoice. If you continue on your current track, the firmware upgrade that was due at the end of November is going to stretch into December and my best guess January or February.

Why can't you just release what you have now---- I want to see this X36 "huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition" that was promised before ProVoice came into the picture.

Don't punish the many who have been waiting for this update to appease the few who can end up with ProVoice option in some future update.

Please Paul, please.

Last edited:

Voyager

So you prefer a buggy firmware release as opposed to a bug-free fully tested one? REALLY, M? Do you realize what the haters would do if that were to happen twice in a row?

BTW, my best guess is December. Wanna out a wager on it?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Don't punish the many who have been waiting for this update to appease the few who can end up with ProVoice option in some future update.

Please Paul, please.

Aren't there enough threads about this already? Do you really need to start another one?

MStep

Good lord. Does it ever end.

I trust that you own a 436 or 536, and so you know, that's the problem, it never ends. The end of all of these thousands of posts is simply the ANALYZE feature, and the SIREN application for Android users. Then the feature set is complete as promised two years ago, and Uniden can go on it's merry way with all the newer digital modes and do-dads it wants.

If they won't deliver on what they promised two years ago, then the saga continues.

frazpo

I trust that you own a 436 or 536, and so you know, that's the problem, it never ends. The end of all of these thousands of posts is simply the ANALYZE feature, and the SIREN application for Android users. Then the feature set is complete as promised two years ago, and Uniden can go on it's merry way with all the newer digital modes and do-dads it wants.

If they won't deliver on what they promised two years ago, then the saga continues.

The repetitive forum posts can though, they can end. It is saturating the whole freaking forum. Sometimes the latest post page is 50% Uniden gripes.

MStep

So you prefer a buggy firmware release as opposed to a bug-free fully tested one? REALLY, M? Do you realize what the haters would do if that were to happen twice in a row?

BTW, my best guess is December. Wanna out a wager on it?

All I'm saying Voyager is for Uniden to concentrate on testing what was promised for the end of November and not get caught up in a whole new testing cycle that includes ProVoice.

If they told me they needed 2 more weeks for testing of what was promised, that would be fine. The problem is that they need the extra time to incorporate a paid option, and I just do NOT think it is fair to the many who have patiently waited.

Last edited:

MStep

Thankyou!! +1 on that

Well, that's why I posted my thoughts in the Tavern forum. I own a 436 and a 536. I have some skin in the game. I wonder how many folks here who will complain about my expression and thoughts have never even touched a x36 radio.

My suggestion to those who don't appreciate my input, which I feel is certainly unique in its presentation, if not its content, is very simple--- just place me into Ignore mode

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
But it wasn't PROMISED end of November, it was a TARGET date. Paul should really just shut up about firmware until they are ready. Of course if he did that, then there would be the incessant posting with WHEAR IZ MOAR FIRMWAREZ??!?!?!!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!!??? posts.

rbarker

Robert
Interesting to announce this on Black Friday almost like this will be out in time for Christmas. It's not like they just discovered an upgrade that you will be able to purchase by Christmas. I do wish after paying close to $500 that upgrades would be free.

MStep

But it wasn't PROMISED end of November, it was a TARGET date. Paul should really just shut up about firmware until they are ready. Of course if he did that, then there would be the incessant posting with WHEAR IZ MOAR FIRMWAREZ??!?!?!!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!!??? posts.

+1 on that--- Target Date- end of November, but of course that was before Uniden figured by pushing it into December (or 2016), that could capitalize by throwing in ProVoice.

There is a very professional way for companies to announce specific intended firmware updates and target dates. But don't you feel a little conned when hear things like "huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition"??? That's not a professional way to announce firmware updates. In fact that's more akin to the terminology I use when I tell my 4 and 5 year old grand-kids what Santa is bringing them.

Get the point ?

MStep

Interesting to announce this on Black Friday almost like this will be out in time for Christmas. It's not like they just discovered an upgrade that you will be able to purchase by Christmas. I do wish after paying close to $500 that upgrades would be free.

To be fair to Uniden, and while it would be a nice Xmas freebie, they do have to pay development and licensing costs and it was not part of the originally promised package. I have no qualms with that and God bless 'em for working it into the x36 series. But please put a priority on features that were originally promised before spending time and effort on things that weren't.

And yes, the timing is very curious.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Why can't you just release what you have now---- I want to see this X36 "huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition" that was promised before ProVoice came into the picture.

While I am by no means a Uniden fan, as evidenced by many posts about the missing features and other activities involving those missing features, I have to point out. PROVOICE WAS THE FEATURE ADDITION THAT THE POST REFERRED TO! I think it fell far short of the fanfare, but Paul is not the Boss. If the people above him tell him to market something, he may offer an opinion on whether or not it's is a good idea, but in the end, if he is told to do something and refuses, he will probably be looking for other employment.

Was it a false flag by Uniden to divert attention from the missing features and recent firmware shortcomings? Possibly, but without proof it is a moot point. They do need to address the issues, but claiming that the post was for anything other than ProVoice is false.

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
I agree. Uniden to some degree is diverting attention away from issues that they really can't fix. These radio's came from the factory with hardware related issues that can not be fixed and its a big issue.

Design flaws big time. When you listening the 536HP radio you get a hissing/buggy noise coming out of the speaker on conventional/trunking. It's completely horrible. I think I am just use to it. No other radios built by Uniden have this issue. The homepatrol II and the BCD996P2 are flawless. So go figure. Even though Uniden has a repair send in program. There are small fixes they can fix but that hissing/buggy noise is something that Uniden fails to address.

Read between the lines

MStep

While I am by no means a Uniden fan, as evidenced by many posts about the missing features and other activities involving those missing features, I have to point out. PROVOICE WAS THE FEATURE ADDITION THAT THE POST REFERRED TO! I think it fell far short of the fanfare, but Paul is not the Boss. If the people above him tell him to market something, he may offer an opinion on whether or not it's is a good idea, but in the end, if he is told to do something and refuses, he will probably be looking for other employment.

Was it a false flag by Uniden to divert attention from the missing features and recent firmware shortcomings? Possibly, but without proof it is a moot point. They do need to address the issues, but claiming that the post was for anything other than ProVoice is false.

I gotta tell ya Citywide, you must have an in with Paul, or maybe you're a mind reader, because nowhere in the words "X36 "huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition" do I see the word ProVoice.

Maybe you have the inside track with Paul, or maybe you used a Ouija Board, but on my computer's screen I just don't see that phrase "ProVoice" anywhere to be found in that sentence. You are incredible to the max.

C'mon--- give it up--- who tipped you off ???

MStep

One should not get the impression that I have any dislike for Uniden or for Paul Opitz. If Paul were in New York City right now, and standing under the mistletoe, I would grab his chubby little head and plant a lip-lock on him that would likely blow his socks off.

I LOVE my 436 and 536 scanners, and the work that he has put into them, but every once in a while there's got to be a little tough love that hopefully makes it up the food chain to those making the decisions. I certainly hope that Paul knows that I hold no animosity towards him; quite the contrary, I hold him in high esteem.

So when you make it back to NYC Paul, let's plan on a lovely dinner--- my treat----- but if you want to play it safe, make sure it's after Christmas, when the mistletoe has all been taken down, otherwise you may never want to leave New York City again.

And to all my friends here--- whether we see eye-to eye or have our occasional quibbles, best wishes for the holiday season.

That having been said, can we please fix the d*mn Analyze and Siren functions ?!?!?

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
LTR Passport/Multinet Features

There shouldn't be a single firmware update released until they perfect the LTR Passport/Multinet features.

Status
Not open for further replies.