Federal - National Bureau of standards - WWV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
is there a "local" VHF/UHF channel used at the facility in Boulder will be there in the area in February - and is there a WWV signal on VHF/UHF
and how about adding the AM freq's some of scanners can receive the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 signals, which i use as band openings into the federal users page

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
No WWV time signals on anything higher than HF, no. Nothing else carries far enough to make it worth doing. At present, the Ft. Collins site (the transmitters are a bit north of Ft. Collins, not down at the NiST offices in Boulder) will get you 2.5MHz, 5MHz, 15MHz, 20MHz and *sometimes* 25MHz. No idea what they might be using at the Broadway office in Boulder. Will look around. You won't be able to visit the Boulder lab unless you're there on some sort of business or know someone who works there.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The Boulder NIST buildings have a number of VHF/UHF land-mobile antennas on them, but the last time I sat outside for any time, I was not able to confirm any specific frequencies for them.

They are possibly using one of several trunked systems I found in the Boulder area when I was through there a while back:

http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2013/10/boulder-co-area-trunked-systems.html

- Chris

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The Boulder NIST buildings have a number of VHF/UHF land-mobile antennas on them, but the last time I sat outside for any time, I was not able to confirm any specific frequencies for them.

They are possibly using one of several trunked systems I found in the Boulder area when I was through there a while back:

The Fed Files Blog: Boulder, CO Area Trunked Systems

- Chris

Can't comment on either VHF or UHF. Last time I checked the trunked systems in January 2015, I only found 3 control channels for Sites 2-001, 2-002, and 5-101. They were all sending very little in terms of trunking data and had 0 affiliations and 0 voice grants in a period of several hours.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
What would be the point of NIST having any radios? They don't seem to do any work that might require communications.
They used to have a local phone line with the time signal: 303-499-7111. Yep, still do.

nd5y

They don't seem to do any work that might require communications.
Are you kidding? Maintaining an antenna farm with several buildings and equipment spread out on a tract of land that's about a square mile doesn't count as work?

edftc

A few years ago I stopped by and talked to the security officer at the site. They are probably under the Federal Protective Services by now. NIST is under the Dept of Commerce.
Ed

ecps92

I almost forgot about the fbo.gov listing a few years ago, that talked about the VHF/UHF TRS
brings back memories

The Fed Files Blog: Boulder, CO Area Trunked Systems

- Chris

ecps92

Scanners generally do not go below 25 Mhz

As to the TRS, when/if someone makes a submission, based on Actually monitoring them, then the DB's will add the info to the RRDB

Maybe someone locally will validate it is still in operation first and then make the submission :cool:

thanks for checking

so how would it hurt to add the HF freq's in the Federal section along with the other vhf/uhf users anyway cant hurt; some scanner users might find it an interesting experiment

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Are you kidding? Maintaining an antenna farm with several buildings and equipment spread out on a tract of land that's about a square mile doesn't count as work?

I'm afraid that's the electronic equivalent of watching paint dry. Sorry.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
sorry i did not get the memo
IMHO:
there is a current batch of radios (scanners) that are produced that are SDR like RS 668 - some other brands do cover below 25 mhz, some selectivity falls off below 25 mhz varies with the radio.
Am trying to expand the interest in other types of signals
the formatting in RR allows for and the only way to download the programing of these HF freq's;
why arbitrarily limit listeners, if you dont want to listen to the freq's why limit others from enjoying more of the hobby
there are HF freq's in other states(OEM usage) in RR data base - not in the WIKI- ,guess what, its receivable on some radios - modes(USB, LSB, etc) not with standing, some might find it usefull anyway even if you do not.

BTW WWV lately has been coming in here in the east - afternoon on my 668, as well as other brands of radios using the rubber duck - depending on the freq's monitored its gives an indication of band openings - like SNOTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.