Mansfield, OH Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4AWC

Premium Subscriber
I am using a Uniden BCD436

Mansfield has been on MARCS-IP for a few months. I do not have a favorite list for them created.

When go to scan based on location and have all service types set to on, I do not hear the local PD. Only OSP.

When I listen to the local Mansfield CI tower, it hears no activity at all.

I am in the heart of the area, so hearing the Mansfield site should not be an issue.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
My first thought would be that you aren't scanning the correct systems. If you are hearing OSP Richland (POST 70), you are listening the MARCS. Mansfield PD is on MARCS-IP.

You should see the first line of the display start with "MARCS-IP:" for Mansfield PD. It will start with "MARCS:" for OSP. Can you confirm what that first line is displaying?

K4AWC

Premium Subscriber
It is MARCS-IP for sure. The reason I know this is because I am using the RR database that is preloaded in to the Uniden Sentinal software. I can only select those department talk groups off of that database.

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
MARCS and MARCS-IP are in the RR database. I have same scanner and they are both in there. I agree FPO701 if you are hearing OSP you are monitoring MARCS 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
OK. Next idea. Set the scanner to HOLD on MARCS-IP. Then, hold on the departments and scroll through them. Does "Richland County (70)" eventually come up? If so, hold on that department and scroll through the channels. Make sure "Mansfield Police Dispatch" shows up.

I know that seemed a little obvious. I am wondering if you don't have a new enough DB in the radio. Mansfield PD may not be in the scanner. Do you know the date the DB update that is currently in the radio?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure it's MARCS IP that you have ? Not a lot of OSP activity on there yet. But they may be in your area.

AS others said - check your DB date, and update weekly, lots of changes happening.

K4AWC

Premium Subscriber
I update the radio weekly from the Uniden server. So I know I have the latest database in the scanner

I have rebuilt the database to ensure there is no corruption on the memory card

I am able to hear ample OSP traffic. (I know that they are on the older band plan). So I know my radio can hear that band of frequency.

I monitored all activity on the Mansfield C.I. site for hours. I heard nothing

I have now locked the radio on to the MARCS IP site/Richland County (70)/Mansfield Police Dispatch - Nothing

-I have verified that the frequencies in the Mansfield C.I. Database are Correct

My guess is that they are in the database but they are listed with the wrong mode. I have not heard antything with what the RR has listed. I am sitting inside the city limits.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Perfect. We've eliminated any issues with the DB being out of date. Two things to try:
1) Remove the hold on Mansfield, but keep holding on Richland County. The Sheriff is also on MARCS-IP. Let's see if you can hear them.

2) Use the Broadcastify's Richland feed (Richland County Public Safety). It says it runs the SO and MPD on the left speakers. Slight delay, but it will prove one of you is/isn't getting traffic.

Let's hope someone close to Mansfield can jump on this thread and help out!

phask

Premium Subscriber
OK

One thing I have experienced is that IP is lower power, or for some reason, harder to hear.

I can hear 4 or 5 sites on MARCS, but only 1 with same antenna on IP. Sites are located on same towers also.

Using a antenna on the scanner , moving just a few inches may loose it.

I have 4 running constantly - 1 is just recording (audio) 24/7 on IP another is running Procomm96 - all for ID purposes.

Unless you have an outdoor antenna, that may be it.

edit

Look here and determine which site is closest and avoid the others. If you are marginally receiving all 4 (or more) it will slow it so that you may miss transmissions . It takes 2-3 seconds per site. Same for MARCS.

I'd create a favorite and put it in there with just those 4 sites, then eliminate those not needed. That's assuming you are using the entire database.

K4AWC

Premium Subscriber
Still not hearing anything on scan. I am hearing traffic on the broadcastify site.

I have locked out all sites now that are not in the area.

kc8mkl

I live in Lexington and am able to hear them on both Broadcastify and my BCD436HP scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.