Scanner vs. Scanner App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamo50

Hi Team - I apologize up front for being a noob to this but I'm hoping my questions are simple enough to answer.

Basically, I am strongly considering getting a digital scanner for my wife who LOVES the android scanner app. My question is, how/what is different between the two? Do you hear cleaner transmissions? We are in the downriver area and the feed constantly will have a digital sounding breakup (possibly encryption?).

If I can get more and cleaner audio, then it sounds like a good idea, my concern is that if everything is going to be encrypted, it's probably not worth the investment and the scanner app will suffice.

If anybody can clarify, or offer some suggestions/advice, that would be awesome. Thanks!

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
With the scanner app, you're forced to listen to whatever the host wants you to listen to (multiple agencies at once, no tactical channels, etc) and you don't have the option to stop the scanner and listen to a particular incident as it unfolds.

If you were to purchase your own scanner, you get to control everything yourself - volume, which agencies you listen to, which incidents you want to listen to, and the like.

As for what you'll hear, that can be unpredictable. If the host(s) of the scanner feeds on the app have antennas mounted at 50' on their homes, they'll certainly be able to pick up more than you riding around with a handheld scanner with a stock antenna in your car.

In a scanner forum, you'll certainly hear most of us suggest having your own scanner, but you may find that your current situation is acceptable (and cheaper).

GeneseeCoMI

Another reason scanners are better than apps is the fact that what you hear on apps is delayed, which depending on your connection speed can be up to 60 seconds (or if you're in an area without any Internet signals, you won't be able to hear what's on the app at all). But everything you hear on an actual scanner is 100% live. You're hearing it at exactly the same time as the first responders are hearing it on their two-way radios.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
With your own scanner, you get to listen to what you want to listen to. Listening to a feed is great, for listening to things that are too far away for you to hear directly.

Sent via Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Agree

I agree with everything said so far.
With a scanner app, you're generally listening to a whole system, all the talkgroups. An example is my area, Downriver Mutual. 18 different cities on one system. You have to listen to everyone, even a DPW and a couple of courthouses, and with an app, have no indication which city is talking.

With your own scanner, the display tells you which talkgroup is talking, and you can lock out any groups and cities you don't want to listen to.

n5ims

Scanner, Pros and Cons (something can be both!):
* - Pro:
..........You can listen to anything with a strong enough signal in your area your scanner can handle.
..........You can modify what you listen to as desired and without restrictions.
* - Con:
..........You must keep up with changes in what you listen to and reprogram as required.
..........There is a significant cost for the hardware and programming software.
..........You are limited to what is in your local area (within signal range of the system).

Scanner App:
* - Pros:
..........Minimal cost (most are free and you probably already have the PC or Smartphone).
..........No restrictions on distance, you can listen local, very distant stations, even foreign countries.
* - Cons:
..........You can only hear what others choose to broadcast.
..........There are generally restrictions on what is broadcast (no SWAT channels for example).
..........There is a delay. It may be slight (internet delays and buffering delays) or long (agency delay added 'for officer safety').
..........Feed may go away at any time without notice.
..........Feed may shut down just as things get interesting (provider limits feed 'for officer safety').

Note, these are just a few of the pros & cons, but you get the idea.

rbm

I like both.

I've been around the world many times and it's nice to be able to listen to the scanners back home while on the other side of the world. ;)

I personally have 11 scanner feeds online. (10 of them are private)

I used to carry a scanner with me everywhere but, there were many times I wished that I had the BIG antenna system so I could hear the weak signals.

At home I have more than 40 scanners. So no problems listening there. ;)

I use a few APPs so I can listen to more than one feed at a time while away from home.
And.................
nick0909 on RR here wrote an APP for the Android environment that allows me to control my Uniden scanners remotely. (RemoteFS)
That gives me the flexibility to listen to everything I could possibly want.

If you find (or provide) a scanner feed that covers what you want (and sounds good), then an APP(s) is the way to go.

Rich

Jamo50

Great feedback, thanks everybody, greatly appreciate the insight.

Now on to find out what type of scanner to get, any suggestions for a good home unit for the downriver/metro Detroit area?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Great feedback, thanks everybody, greatly appreciate the insight.

Now on to find out what type of scanner to get, any suggestions for a good home unit for the downriver/metro Detroit area?

Are you wanting handheld or mobile/base? Are you looking for lowest cost, or something that will handle potential changes to the radio systems?

Sent via Tapatalk

Jamo50

Krokus - I'm leaning towards a mobile/base unit since she will most likely be listening from home. Is the audio quality better on one vs. the other?

Also, one that will handle potential changes to the radio systems would be prefered, not sure if that can be had for around $400, but, thats the budget range I wanted to keep it at.

Once again, thanks for the response.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Krokus - I'm leaning towards a mobile/base unit since she will most likely be listening from home. Is the audio quality better on one vs. the other?

Also, one that will handle potential changes to the radio systems would be prefered, not sure if that can be had for around $400, but, thats the budget range I wanted to keep it at.

The audio quality seems to be debatable, and subjective. Although the GRE/Whistler based models seem to get better marks for decoding. (Once again, that is subjective.)

As for being able to handle foreseeable changes, stick with the most recent models, such as Uniden x36 series, 996p2 or 325p2, or Whistler 1088, 1095, 1098

Sent via Tapatalk

kd8ati

Feed Provider

not to turn this in to a classifieds thread but since your looking, I currently have a BCD536HP up for sale on ebay for $450 if you are interested. It comes with a 16GB microSD card in addition to the one that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.