Bearcat1.com affiliated with RR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Good evening RR staff,

(Mod's, I'm not sure which forum to use for the following question. Please move the thread as needed with my thanks and apologies.)

Quite by accident, from a Google-search related to an RR-forum topic, I navigated to the following page:

and noticed at the bottom of the above page the following link:

The above linked page lists four search-by-country options, all of which simply display the mobile version of the RR site inside the Bearcat1 site's framed page.

I'm curious... Is the Bearcat1 website, or its owner, affiliated with RR in such a way that it can claim the RRDB as "Our" DB, ...Or, are non-RR scanner/radio sites commonly allowed to use and claim the RRDB in this manner?

Just curious,

Thanks,

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Domain Name: BEARCAT1.COM
Registry Domain ID: 340026_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: Website Design and Hosting | Domains | Website Builder | NetworkSolutions.com
Updated Date: 2015-01-28T23:38:47Z
Creation Date: 1996-09-28T04:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-09-27T04:00:00Z
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@web.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Hobby Radio Stop
Registrant Organization: Hobby Radio Stop
Registrant Street: 1225 East David Road, Suite 2
Registrant City: Kettering
Registrant State/Province: OH
Registrant Postal Code: 45429
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone:
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.9999999999
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: email@ERINET.COM
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Schrein, Norm
Admin Organization: Hobby Radio Stop
Admin Street: 1225 E DAVID RD STE 2
Admin City: KETTERING
Admin State/Province: OH
Admin Postal Code: 45429-5771
Admin Country: US

QDP2012

Thanks for the reply. I was not asking about the domain-registration. I was asking about affiliation, as in business-affiliation.

In other words, does the site have RR's permission (by legal agreement or by personnel-relationship) to use the mobile-version of the RRDB in this manner, and claim it as "our" (their) DB? Or is such permission not required, such that other sites are allowed to do this also?

Thanks,

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
RR merged many, many scanner frequency resources years ago and I believe Bearcat1 was one of them.

Norm Schrein was very active before RR. He published the Betty Bearcat National Police Frequency Directory. I am not positive but I believe he was/is an administrator here at RR.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I also noticed that at the bottom of some pages on that site, there is a very small credit given to Radio Reference where is says "Powered by Radio Reference"

QDP2012

The real question is when you click either of the following links,

Get a Frequency Database
for your State

Get a Frequency Database
for your County

where is it getting this info from and if its rr.com, do they have permission to sell it?

I wondered the same thing.

I also noticed that at the bottom of some pages on that site, there is a very small credit given to Radio Reference where is says "Powered by Radio Reference"

I missed that the first time. Good catch.

Thanks,

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
As far as I know, Norm is not and has never been a DB Admin.

Lindsay would be the only one who could comment on any sort of business relationship between Norm's site and RadioReference.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
RR merged many, many scanner frequency resources years ago and I believe Bearcat1 was one of them.

Norm Schrein was very active before RR. He published the Betty Bearcat National Police Frequency Directory. I am not positive but I believe he was/is an administrator here at RR.

Norm and RadioReference has zero relationship whatsoever.

I'll have a look at this to see what is going on.

Thanks,

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jeeze, some of that stuff is straight up gangster. :)

Can anyone say Microsoft Frontpage 1998?

I can't actually find our embedded data, the navigation is confusing (this statement coming from me is pretty telling considering I can be accused of developing some pretty confusing navigation)

QDP2012

I can't actually find our embedded data, the navigation is confusing (this statement coming from me is pretty telling considering I can be accused of developing some pretty confusing navigation)

Sir, please click on Bearcat1.com's "USA Search" button on the right side of the screen, and then in the lower-right "main" window, navigate down through the states and the state-agencies, etc. It will eventually show the RRDB data. If you then open that lower-right frame in a separate tab/window, the URL is the mobile-url for RRDB. Also, I just noticed that if you just mouse-over the "USA Search" button, its link is the mobile-url for RRDB:US.

Edit: Please click on the second link in my first post above. Then the above paragraph will make sense. Thanks.

Edit2,3: The phone number shown on Bearcat1.com seems to also belong to www.1610.info, also shown as WPVW207 - Information Radio 1660 Kettering, OH, but the callsign belongs to Harrison Twp FD EOC, which lists 1610 kHz, 1660 kHz. -- seems odd all around.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
He is the owner of this site and his data is being stolen. He is paying for the bandwidth also.

It's the band with...period. The data is readily available, and on RR it is compiled by mostly volunteers, so there is no intrinsic value....of course when you consider the licensing of the hard work of those volunteers to major radio scanner manufacturers.....

D

DaveNF2G

Presentation, formatting and code are copyrightable. Public information (whatever is contained in FCC licenses) is not. Running a search through someone else's database without their consent is theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.