Town of Tuxedo dispatch / Orange County

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
"The Tuxedo Police Department will lose three officer positions, all nine full- and part-time dispatchers, and the overnight shift under the town's 2016 budget..."

Being told OC 911 may be taking over dispatch since they are slashing all of the dispatchers and State Police will provide police services on the midnight tour. Tuxedo has ALOT of dead spots on the County systems whether it be Police, Fire or EMS. I know there are plans to add two towers in Tuxedo for the anticipated 700 TRS (as well as Schunnemunk, Arden and Mt. Peter all blasting LSM to cover the town). I wonder what the plans are in the meantime. Their VHF channels all get out well...maybe OC 911 will throw them in the console.

sc800

So a town that will be expanding over the next couple of years with the coming of Tuxedo Ridge (1000+ new homes) and should be expanding their police force is shrinking it. I guess we know why the police chief was put on administrative leave...

I don't see how SP can really cover Tuxedo on the midnight shift. Isn't SP Monroe only putting out two cars on midnights?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So I'm hearing rumbling of Orange 911 putting up a repeater on MRD 155.850 on Southfield....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrosen922

Has anyone heard anything over MRD with Tuxedo yet?. I know a while back there was something setup on the zetron console in Tuxedo PD that would cross patch MRD to Tuxedo units on their frequency and same went with the EMS as well because the town was looking to get rid of the overnight dispatching shift. This set up was back around 2007.

FF153

Premium Subscriber
So a town that will be expanding over the next couple of years with the coming of Tuxedo Ridge (1000+ new homes) and should be expanding their police force is shrinking it. I guess we know why the police chief was put on administrative leave...

I don't see how SP can really cover Tuxedo on the midnight shift. Isn't SP Monroe only putting out two cars on midnights?

This had nothing to do with the chief of Tuxedo. All of these cuts are coming from the town board. It seems like the board made a very rash decision without understanding what it entails. They don't seem to understand the quality of service local dispatchers provide and the infrastructure that needs to be put in place to carry out these cuts.

sc800

That's interesting. I wonder what the full story behind that is, but we probably will not know.

Is the 2016 budget finalized? is this switch definitely happening, or is there still time for something to be changed?

Forget the dispatch side, again, I can't see how that would work from the police side. Currently SP Monroe turns out about two cars on the midnights. That would mean

T/Tuxedo, T/Monroe, V/Kiryas Joel, V/Florida, Route 17, Route 6 would have primary policing service provided by 2 units. Not to mention the rest of the towns and villages whom SP backs up on a nightly basis. One fatal or serious PIAA on the highway would leave that area without any police protection.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Tuxedo Park is a small village PD that basically runs border patrol. You cannot enter the Village without going through their "checkpoint." The wealthy villagers pay a pretty penny in taxes for that service and they are NOT going to allow their police coverage to be pulled to cover the town. So sorry, should have bought in the Village instead of the town.

These small towns are soon going to learn that they are going to have to consolidate or you are going to see a lot more of this. When I moved out of Orange County my taxes hit $10,500 on a bi-level. And while my house value DECREASED $100K, taxes kept going up. They are over $11K now. And I had my own well, volly Fire and EMS and paid for my own garbage pickup. Where is the money going ?

Do you really think Town and Village of Chester or the Goshens need their own PD ? Montgomery for example...Town PD, V Maybrook, V Walden, V Montgomery. Really...4 PDs? C'mon.

SCPD

QRT
This whole thing is going to be a huge mess once Tuxedo loses their own dispatch and the police officers from the midnight shift. I feel sorry for the residents of Tuxedo and I hope nothing happens, because these people will be on their own. NYSP has already stated that they will not be adding more cars to the midnight shift to cover Tuxedo and apparently the OCSO will not be adding anymore cars on their midnight either. Not having a 24 hour police department is like going reverse. What will it take for the Town Board to reverse their decision? The death of a Town resident? A murder? A violent home invasion? I really hope none of these things take place. I do not understand how the Town Board members can sleep at night after making such a ridiculous decision.

It is also sad to see a department losing their dispatchers, especially to OC 911. As many of us already know, OC 911 does not have the best track record. Aside from the poor quality of many of the dispatchers who work there, they are short staffed by over 12 dispatchers. There is mandatory overtime handed out on a daily basis at OC 911. So, in addition to already being over worked, now they will be handling a busier workload. The problem with the people who run OC 911, is that they think that every single Police, Fire & EMS agency should be dispatched by them. They never turn down any agency that comes to them to be dispatched, even though there are serious staffing & other issues. Can you imagine how much of a mess it would be if OC 911 had to take on every agency that currently has their own dispatch? They would have to double or triple their staff. The place would implode if they had to dispatch City of Newburgh FD & PD, City of Middletown PD & FD, City of Port Jervis PD, Cornwall PD, New Windsor PD & EMS, Woodbury PD & EMS, Monroe PD, Town of Newburgh PD, Greenwood Lake PD and Warwick PD, FD & EMS.

mrosen922

Guess it has begun, just heard OC911 dispatching Tuxedo EMS to a call a little while ago on ems paging channel.

Definitely agree 19-102

FF153

Premium Subscriber
Orange 911 pages Tuxedo EMS due to a phone line issues in Tuxedo.

Zero: the main reason Tuxedo is in this situation is because of miss management of money by the town board. If the money was manged properly we wouldn't have any of these problems.

I agree it us sad to see Tuxedo loose there dispatch to OR911. The Tuxedo dispatchers are excellent dispatchers. Many of them have lived in Tuxedo there whole life, may of them volunteer as EMTS and firefighters in the town. They have a personal investment in the town and that translates to the high quality of service they provide. The town isn't going to get that with OR911. It's the same thing with the cops many of them have lived and volunteered in Tuxedo their whole life and because of that they take patrolling the town to heart because it's where they live. Your not going to get that quality of service with state police or the SO.

sc800

I just saw an article in the record website that part of T/Monroe wants to annex in to Tuxedo because they have their own PD. This story came out after the one about the cuts in Tuxedo. Not sure what really is going on

sc800

From what I found out today; the three officers were laid off and the midnight shift was cut. Apparently they still have a dispatcher on midnight shift. Something to do with OC911 not being ready; not sure if they mean tech or people-wise...

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Sooooo.....is Tuxedo sending smoke signals to OC911 or did they get anything up and running ?

sc800

How about officers. My source is saying the midnight dispatcher sits in the station alone, with no patrols to do fire and ems dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.