can any one help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
bought a uniden bcd996p2 unable to recieve tennessee highway patrol tacn system can anyone help me wijth this promblem

Premium Subscriber
need help bdc996p2 will not scan tacn system

tennessee highway patrol went to the p 25 phase 2 tacn system can anyone tell me why i cannot get it

Voyager

Looks like with the switch to Phase II they also added encryption.

"THP District 1: Dispatch 2 (Encryption Used) "

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have a 996P2 running on Nashville Jackson and Memphis THP all working Dispatch 1 Phase 1 Dispatch 2 are all Phase 2 with fulltime encryption. But all traffic on the TACN system on Dispatch 1 is crystal clear on my 996p2, 436hp, and 536hp. Where are at and what sites are you trying to listen to.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
How have you programmed the system?

You will need to either manually program it or use a software to upload it into the scanner.

If you are new to scanning or new to scanning a trunking system I would suggest getting the software for your scanner this will make life much easier. Since you are a premium subscriber you have access to download the information right from RR into your scanner.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged and moved to Tennessee forum.

Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question. Thanks.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All THP Dispatch 2's, and Ops/Tacs are TDMA and Encrypted full time.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
As it should be in a pursuit. We are incredibly lucky they didn't encrypt all as many areas are doing now.
Yes all channels but dispatch 1 in each region appear to be encrypted since they went live.

Premium Subscriber
im in district 6 cookeville tn region uploaded programming from radio reference to the 996p2 with freescan then later with proscan both showed upload and scan but with no acitivity thp dont go long periods with out something

ButchGone

Exactly where are you, and what sites from the TACN have you loaded into your scanner? You must have the site closest to you enabled to hear them. You should hear Dispatch 1, which is active in all districts, uses FDMA Phase 1 and carries 90+% of all THP traffic.
BG..

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
cookeville, tn downloaded every thing from radio reference

ButchGone

Are you hearing anything on the TACN? How did you program the scanner - what software, etc. have you also loaded THP's older system, VHF lo and VHF Hi frequencies, in case they are using that for some reason?
BG..

Premium Subscriber
imported from radio reference uploaded to the scanner with freescan. also upload some of the other frequencies from tacn and get nothing. heard in district 6 all radios expect the new digital radios are being removed

ButchGone

There could be a number of things getting funky here. If you uploaded TACN, make sure you are not trying to scan the entire system and all the sites throughout Tennessee., otherwise your radio could be getting lost in the weeds searching all the control channels. Just scan the site or a couple sites near you.
Double check the system loaded properly. You are not just plugging in frequencies, you want your radio to be either ID scanning or ID searching. If the display is not showing ID scanning or ID searching then you have not properly programmed the scanner in trunking mode.
Just in case, try listening to THPs VHF hi and lo frequencies, in the off chance they are using them while maintenance is being performed on their TACN sites.
I do have one question for you...did I understand your last post to say all digital radios will be removed in district 6? I have not heard anything about THP abandoning their APX gear.
BG..

Premium Subscriber
old radio systems are being remove only the tacn radios will be remaing is what i am being told

Premium Subscriber
even tried to manual program still nothing

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The way I was told is that with the Motorola radios being dual band, the VHF analog is programmed into them alongside TACN. This is for interop with counties that are not using TACN at this time, and just in case. Unknown if the UHF conventional radios will be remaining in units or not, but I would assume that at least in the Districts using UHF, and not on TACN, they will keep them. After all, until everyone can get at least one TACN radio, the LETS freqs are still the only official interop freqs.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
bought a uniden bcd996p2 unable to recieve tennessee highway patrol tacn system can anyone help me wijth this promblem

First, have you programmed this system into your scanner as P25 Trunking?
If so, here is what works for me in programming the sites and talkgroups:
I go to the TACN page here on RR and look under the counties covered by a particular THP district. (I think it shows 15 counties for District 6. ) Then, going to the chart where it lists the frequencies, I click on "County" and it puts the list of counties in alphabetical order. I then check these counties that are covered by a particular district to see if there is a "site" in that county. (I think there are 5 sites in these 15 counties.) I then program in just those frequencies, (only the control and aux. control channels--the ones shown in red and blue.) into the bank or scanlist that I have made for that particular district.
I only program in the dispatch 1 talkgroup, which is 47022 for Cookeville, as all the rest are encrypted, as someone mentioned in another post. It just slows down the scanner searching for other talkgroups which cannot be heard anyway. I don't have a 996P2, so I am not familiar with how to program that scanner. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.