• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Truckstop automated messages on ch19

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

The Flying J truckstop in Russellville, Arkansas plays a recorded message every ten minutes, inviting truck drivers to visit and promoting various services (such as 'truck washout'). These messages have been playing on channel 19 for more than a year. Is it legal for a business to play such automated messages on CB?

n4yek

I have heard those also, but not from Flying J. There was one around mile marker 412 on I-40 in Tennessee announcing CB repair, hot food, etc...
I have wondered if they were legal too.

TheSpaceMann

I don't think it's legal. However, they might be getting around it by transmitting with less than 100 milliwatts.

Last edited:

wbswetnam

I don't think it's legal. However, they might be getting around it by transmitting with less than 100 milliwatts.

Less than 100mW? No way... I'm 4 miles by crow flight from the Flying J and I can hear them clearly on a ground plane antenna cut for VHF high / UHF. I'm guessing they're running the legal 4 watts but not 100mW.

DJboutit

There is a truck wash in Tennessee I can here in Houston when conditions are rolling I have seen a picture of it on Google street view looks like the are running a good metal antenna at like 50ft high and like 600 watts

Evgeni

There's somebody who transmitts an automated message every minute or so on I-84 on the PA NY NJ border with some "traffic safety" sort of message.

rwier

Don't get out of town anymore, but ten or so years back, out in far west Phoenix, a gal came on every few minutes offering to shine hubcaps and polish shifter knobs. Never gave a name or address, just an exit number.

FAQ: CB (Citizen's Band) Radio Answers
Question: Can I use my CB in my business?

Answer: There are no restrictions on using a CB radio to aid in the operation of your business.
Back to CB Radio Index
That's true, in the sense that CB can be used as a business radio to connect a serviceman to the office, but CB cannot be used to "broadcast" (one way transmission) to target truckers to solicit their business.

I traveled the I-70 corridor from your area back east extensively in the 90s and 00s. I always traveled with a CB tuned to Channel 19. This kind of thing is nothing new. I recall OH was a biggie for these, somewhere between Columbus and Zanesville. There were advertisements for oil changes, tires, power washing, and even chrome parts going back at least 17 years. They were always on digital voice recorders, sometimes with those annoying echo boxes. I would get them about 5 miles out (I didn't have a very good CB or antenna, all I really wanted to know was what was going on up the highway from me). No doubt they were on a base and had an antenna on a billboard or somewhere higher than a one-story building. If there was a wreck and traffic was tied up for a while, you could gauge your time by how many announcements you heard.

Don't get out of town anymore, but ten or so years back, out in far west Phoenix, a gal came on every few minutes offering to shine hubcaps and polish shifter knobs. Never gave a name or address, just an exit number.

I've heard those, too. Is that a real service or might she have been thinking about something else?

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Totally lost it with your post 'rwier'!!!

"Don't get out of town anymore, but ten or so years back, out in far west Phoenix, a gal came on every few minutes offering to shine hubcaps and polish shifter knobs. Never gave a name or address, just an exit number."
I am still cleaning up my key board! lol

DJboutit

There use lady here in Houston at the Pilot truck stop a few miles north of down town about every 15 to 30 min she would advertise her truck was on 19. She would even advertise the truck wash when it poring down rain out and when anyone would call her out on it she get very mad. Finally the truck drivers ran her off. She use to get like 15 to 20 mile range I am glad she has been off the air for like 6 to 8 yrs now

teufler

I was wrong about Business Comms. I was right as far as bus comms between two parties but not broadcasting to the masses.
RULE 13 - Illegal Communications

{A} You must NOT use a CB station-

[1] in connection with activity which is against federal, state or local law;
[2] to transmit obscene, indecent or profane words, language or meaning;
[3] to interfere intentionally with the communications of another CB station;
[4] to transmit one-way communications, EXCEPT for emergency communications, traveler assistance, brief tests (radio checks) or voice paging;
[5] to advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services;
[6] to transmit music, whistling, sound effects or any material to amuse or entertain;
[7] to transmit any sound effect solely to attract attention;
[8] to transmit the word "MAYDAY" or use any other international distress signal, EXCEPT when your station is located in a ship, aircraft or other vehicle which is threatened with GRAVE AND IMMINENT danger and you are requesting IMMEDIATE assistance. [9] to communicate with, or ATTEMPT to communicate with, any CB station more than 155.3 miles (250 kilometers) away;

[10] to advertise a political candidate or political campaign (You may use your CB radio for the business or organizational aspects of a campaign, if you follow all other applicable rules);

[11] to communicate with stations in other countries, except stations in Canada (on General Radio Service).

[12] to transmit a false or deceptive communication.

{B} You must not use a CB station to transmit communications intended for live or delayed rebroadcast on radio or television. You may use your CB station to gather news items or to prepare programs.

4 and 5 cover the subject good.

KC2GIU

RULE 13 - Illegal Communications

{A} You must NOT use a CB station-

[4] to transmit one-way communications, EXCEPT for emergency communications, traveler assistance, brief tests (radio checks) or voice paging;

If the business doesn't advertise services, but gives their 10-20/QTH/location and route to get there and provides this as "traveler assistance", it's more than likely legal as this meets the rule exception.

Many travelers rely on truck stops for fill-ups, food, bathroom breaks and driver changes. All this is "assistance" to those with CB radios. This can be truckers and the family on vacation along with those in between.

I had talked with the store manager that has this setup. He stated the Flying-J asked for FCC clarification on this matter. Thus, the manager at exit-2 KY on I-65 says they can not alter the message that is automated, only the corporate office can via the legal team. The message timing has to be 10-mins or longer, never shorter per other FCC rules.

TheSpaceMann

She's still there, along with a bunch of her "friends"!!! ;)

beamin

Premium Subscriber
lol

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Get around Wytheville, Va and you will constantly hear advertisements for alum polishing, cb repair shops, or Speedco Lube services..

Status
Not open for further replies.