scanner for TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou-jr

I am in Littlestowm,PA and the fire/police are moving to project 25 TDMA Apco-25 common air interface exclusive. I am not new to scanners but do know TDMA can be a problem. Several months age I purchased the Whister 1080 and returned it because it did not do a good job with TDMA and simulcast digital.My question is what will the new whistler 1088 do (which I don't think there is a big change other than key pad) and what about the Uniden BCD436HP, I have read so many problems. The one thing I will say about Whistler they will help with problems but I don't see a big change in the new scanner.
lou-jr

DickH

I am in Littlestowm,PA and the fire/police are moving to project 25 TDMA Apco-25 common air interface exclusive. ...

If it's Phase I, look at the radio Shack PRO-651 & 652. I just got one and with the ARC500 program free trial I have put in a Phase I system, (4) 800 systems and many conventional freqs. It works very well. If you do get one, let me know, as I have written up step-by step instructions for programming a trunked system without downloading from the RadioReference database. By downloading from there, you get too much stuff so you have to delete lots and it makes it that much more complicated.
You can easily copy and paste freqs. and Talk Groups from the database into the program.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
TDMA is Phase 2 so the PRO-651/652 won't help in this case.

Options are:
Whistler WS-1080 or base/mobile equivalent
Whistler WS-1088 or base/mobile equivalent
Uniden BCD436HP or base/mobile equivalent
Uniden BCD325P2 or base/mobile equivalent

All handle simulcast systems differently. You may end up having to use a directional antenna, a stubby type racing antenna, play with the various attenuator/squelch/P25 settings, etc.

Your mileage may vary....

Voyager

You can add the HP-2 to that list, too.

But, TDMA is not an issue with any scanner. It's usually the simulcast that can be an issue. So, which system is it? Some models do better on some systems, and other models on other systems.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
TDMA is Phase 2 so the PRO-651/652 won't help in this case.

Options are:
Whistler WS-1080 or base/mobile equivalent
Whistler WS-1088 or base/mobile equivalent
Uniden BCD436HP or base/mobile equivalent
Uniden BCD325P2 or base/mobile equivalent
Or BCD996P2

Last edited:

Voyager

The BCD996P2 is the base/mobile equivalent of the BCD325P2, so he covered that.

N8IAA

I am in Littlestowm,PA and the fire/police are moving to project 25 TDMA Apco-25 common air interface exclusive. I am not new to scanners but do know TDMA can be a problem. Several months age I purchased the Whister 1080 and returned it because it did not do a good job with TDMA and simulcast digital.My question is what will the new whistler 1088 do (which I don't think there is a big change other than key pad) and what about the Uniden BCD436HP, I have read so many problems. The one thing I will say about Whistler they will help with problems but I don't see a big change in the new scanner.
lou-jr

Simulcast will be a problem until the scanner manufacturers wise up and make the changes.
Your system, even though it says Phase II, is currently running under Phase I. The 'D' under the mode tells us that.
Unfortunately, all but one TGID is Encrypted for PD. The only TG's that are in the clear is FD. So, if you were planning on listening to the law enforcement side, you're SOL.
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase II scanners

I didn't see where he mentions BCD996P2 or BCD 325P2?
Maybe I missed something?
Probably
Tom
I made the same mistake when I first read this thread. RR posts commonly come up on Google (and other) searches, and I can see someone researching what model of scanner they need for Phase II. I just did this recently and bought a BCD996P2, although I am a "GRE guy".

After a reply to my post I could see the OP posted (or base/mobile equivalent), but the list is so short as to what's out there presentlty that can handle Phase II, it would have been nice to see a list of the actual model numbers.

Ensnared

Side-By-Side Comparision

When I observed a side-by-side comparison of the Uniden 436HP and GRE/Whistler models in the presence of a Phase II system, there was no choice really. I boiught my Uniden over the PSR 800 or Whistler equivalent. The Uniden was handling Phase II much better than the competition. I am happy with my 436HP. Truthfully, I am a GRE/Whistler man, but not in this case.

Ensnared

Two Birds, One Stone

Since I shared my preference regarding Phase II scanners, I would like to give another advantage of owning a 436/536HP scanner, ProVoice. At present, there are only two scanners capable of receiving ProVoice and they are the one previously mentioned. I don't know if there are any such systems in your area, but you might want to consider this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.