MD Syscom reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I am curious how Syscom communicates with the helo's. I have had the low band programmed and expected to hear some sort of communication but it seems only databurst occasionally. Does anyone have any insight into how Syscom communicates with the helo's ? How the helo's communicate with shock trauma, do the use something other than EMRC ? I would like to at least here Syscom notify a helo of a flyout if they aren't in the hanger. Lastly have the medevac switched over to the 700 MHz p25 frequecies listed on the database ?

troymail

Silent Key
Syscom occasionally uses the 700's but mostly to talk to Delaware Troopers. I suspect that full implementation of 700 for Syscom will probably happen in terms of years since they are still building out ground sites and the roll out of provider radio capability will take some time.

atlong

Database Admin
I p/u Syscom on 44.74 out in Ranson, WV pretty well considering the distance, although it is a slight bit scratchy. When I am over in Frederick, MD it comes in loud n clear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I hear SYSCOM regularly on 44.74 from my RF hole in Annapolis. Sometimes I'll receive the Troopers themselves on VHF (but regularly on county trunked systems.) I don't think I've ever hear any helicopter-to-hospital comms on their other VHF frequency. Not sure if the use some other system for that, or even if they talk to hospitals directly while enroute.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I hear hospital patches on the vhf low freq when they are going from tangier to PRMC.

Makes perfect sense for transports from isolated areas that may not have paramedics on duty all the time.

I'm thinking that I'm too far from a regional trauma center to hear any helo-hosp comms on VHF 47.66, and/or that the transit times within the metro area makes medical consultations unusual (meaning the ground paramedics have already made the consults.) IDK...

Also, I'm not sure of this, but could the Troopers use the localities' TRS patch to a MED channel? Or communicate directly on a MED channel?

Last edited:

ocguard

SYSCOM communicates with the Troopers on 44.74mhz. There are only ten transmit/receive sites state-wide, and SYSCOM only uses the site geographically closest to the aircraft with which their are communicating (voting/steering). Since the aircraft operate at altitude, they don't need many base stations to cover the state.

Trooper helicopters can (and do) use the state-wide UHF med system for communication with hospitals in addition to 47.66mhz.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SYSCOM communicates with the Troopers on 44.74mhz. There are only ten transmit/receive sites state-wide, and SYSCOM only uses the site geographically closest to the aircraft with which their are communicating (voting/steering). Since the aircraft operate at altitude, they don't need many base stations to cover the state.

Trooper helicopters can (and do) use the state-wide UHF med system for communication with hospitals in addition to 47.66mhz.

Can you expand a bit about when to use 47.66 vs. a MED channel to consult while in the air? Is it a coverage issue? Does the 47.66 helimed channel go to SYSCOM first, or is it received directly at the hospital?

In general, (for a scanner user with a limited antenna) to receive an aircraft operating at low altitude - like a medivac Trooper - you have to be fairly close proximity. For example, from Annapolis I can receive aircraft in the pattern - typically 1000' AGL - at Lee and Bay Bridge airports, and sometimes from Fort Meade and Freeway, but never from BWI or Easton. Helicopters usually cruise enroute under 2000' AGL, and frequently lower than that, depending on the mission.

ocguard

The 47.66mhz system goes through EMRC first. There is actually no EMS radio equipment located physically at any hospital itself. All of the RF goes through the EMRC system and is patched to the hospital's remote set via hardline or microwave. This allows ensured communication between an aircraft (or ground unit on UHF) and a hospital that may not be within RF range, and allows multiple hospitals to be brought together in a single consult. The heli-med 47.66mhz system has only 7 base stations state-wide.

As far as using 47.66mhz versus UHF med, I'm really not sure how that decision is made. Perhaps there is just a general knowledge among the flight crews and the SYSCOM/EMRC operators as to where one works better than another. Of course, the UHF med system is designed for land mobile coverage (down-tilts, voting thresholds), and a helicopter could quickly move through and out of the coverage of a certain region's med channels/PL tones. I'll ask around and see what I find out.

Add: the flight crew do have access to UHF portable radios with the med channels if they need to obtain medical direction while on scene and out of the aircraft as well. Although, I've never seen one actually being carried.

boatbod

Here on the shore (Talbot, QA, Caroline) when a Trooper gets near a needed scene they make first contact with the county dispatcher using an "Aviation Call" TG. From there they end up on either Aviation 1, 2 or 3 (county specific) where they will be patched in with the foreground Tac channel.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Here on the shore (Talbot, QA, Caroline) when a Trooper gets near a needed scene they make first contact with the county dispatcher using an "Aviation Call" TG. From there they end up on either Aviation 1, 2 or 3 (county specific) where they will be patched in with the foreground Tac channel.

Once off, however, they use other means to consult with EMRC/SYSCOM. The AV talkgroups on the UMESC system are only what you described- coordination prior to patient onload.

boatbod

Once off, however, they use other means to consult with EMRC/SYSCOM. The AV talkgroups on the UMESC system are only what you described- coordination prior to patient onload.

Makes sense since they wouldn't remain in the coverage area very long.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense since they wouldn't remain in the coverage area very long.

They'll actually be able to access the system from a very long way away, which is a major problem of giving helicopters radios programmed with trunked systems.

The AV talkgroups just aren't designed for EMRC/hospital communication, they're only designed for the coordination I described above. That's partially because SYSCOM already has infrastructure in place for EMRC/hospital communication, but the reason that old clunky VHF simplex infrastructure continues to exist is because of that problem above. While you'll be able to access the TRS from hundreds of miles at a decent altitude in a helicopter... you'll also likely cause interference to a whole bunch of other radio systems many miles away if you're not in a carefully set area of minimal interference.

This is a big reason MSP aviation comms are done on VHF simplex, and is the big reason Maryland worked hard to get the FCC to approve dedicated 7AIR frequencies. That way, SYSCOM can patch nets as needed rather than have an air asset radiating >5 watts at 2000 feet altitude on all the various frequencies of a Maryland trunked system (FiRST) that might also be used by another one (NJICS comes to mind).

BM82557

Found this in the Capital Hill Monitors newsletter -

"In Maryland, 769.63125 will become the aviation command and control channel (replacing 44.74), 770.13125 will be used for medical consultations (replacing 47.66) and 774.61875 has been designated for landing zone coordination."

Link to the complete newsletter which contains a lot on info on the FIRST system is contained in this post - http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...-capitol-hill-monitors-newsletter-online.html

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It might be interesting to program the C&C frequency into a scanner, but FiRST is waiting for Motorola to develop voting receivers for the working A-G frequencies - at least that was the last I heard.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
They use each independently. I monitor 7AIR60 pretty frequently, and hear a trooper aircraft on at least a few times a day (or hear SYSCOM responding at least, even if I don't hear the aircraft).

They were waiting on voting infrastructure, I do remember that. I was somewhat mind-boggled that the GCM8000 couldn't manage that requirement- I would have thought it a must for quite a few federal agencies that use wide-area voted conventional systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.