• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Minitor VI (6) programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiostrobe

I have searched multiple sites and read many discussions, but I am unable to find the answer to the issue I am having. I recently received 2 Minitor VI 5 Channel VHF pagers and a programming cradle and cable. I have downloaded the newest version of software. I have installed the USB drivers. My computer shows Communication Error 1, (paraphrased-device not connected, try connecting it again.)
I have tried all the USB ports and same error. I'm sure its probably a simple setting issue, but if someone has any input, I would appreciate it. I have programmed many III, IV and V pagers with this same computer with no issues, but for some reason there is a glitch on this for me. I'm not a computer genius, so keep that in mind. LOL.
Thanks for any help!

olesouth919

I would surmise that issue is with the cable supplied by Motorola. Try using another USB to Mirco-USB cable from like a phone charger. There are now famous issues with cables supplied by Motorola. Several of my charging cradles will not work the power cords. I have had to instruct my members to adapt and overcome for several pagers.

sfd119

Sounds like you do not have the correct drivers installed for the programmer.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have searched multiple sites and read many discussions, but I am unable to find the answer to the issue I am having. I recently received 2 Minitor VI 5 Channel VHF pagers and a programming cradle and cable. I have downloaded the newest version of software. I have installed the USB drivers. My computer shows Communication Error 1, (paraphrased-device not connected, try connecting it again.)
I have tried all the USB ports and same error. I'm sure its probably a simple setting issue, but if someone has any input, I would appreciate it. I have programmed many III, IV and V pagers with this same computer with no issues, but for some reason there is a glitch on this for me. I'm not a computer genius, so keep that in mind. LOL.
Thanks for any help!
To the best of my knowledge, there are no special drivers needed for the USB connection for the Minitor VI programming cradle. unlike the USB programming cables for Motorola two ways and serial to usb adapters for the earlier Minitors. I've installed the PPS on several different computers without any drivers needed. That was on Win 10, Win 7, and XP.

All you have to do is connect up the cable and cradle, load the PPS, go to Tools --> System Setup and make sure that the proper com port is assigned, and you should be good to go. (You can go to Printers & Devices in the computer's start menu to see which COM port it is assigned to. You may have to left click, right click, select Properties to find that info, but it's there.) If you get the Device Not Found error, try a different cable; it's a standard USB to microUSB cable. Still get the error, then suspect a defective cradle. If you can lay your hands on another cradle, give that a try.

FWIW, the VI PPS install was the easiest and most trouble free of any of the Minitor PPS's, at least for me.

sfd119

To the best of my knowledge, there are no special drivers needed for the USB connection for the Minitor VI programming cradle.

It needs *something* though. I'm guessing the prolific driver as it shows up as a COM port.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
It needs *something* though. I'm guessing the prolific driver as it shows up as a COM port.
Not Prolific.

Win 10's device properties info shows it to be a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge.

Here's a screen shot of the installed drivers list:
UART%20Driver%20Info_zpsfm8rm4oj.jpg

If the OP has a Prolific Driver installed for this, it won't work. Uninstall the Prolific and any other drivers. Then reconnect the device and let Windows pick the proper driver.

sfd119

Not Prolific.

Win 10's device properties info shows it to be a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge.

Here's a screen shot of the installed drivers list:
UART%20Driver%20Info_zpsfm8rm4oj.jpg

If the OP has a Prolific Driver installed for this, it won't work. Uninstall the Prolific and any other drivers. Then reconnect the device and let Windows pick the proper driver.

I didn't have time to plug mine in to see what it was. I was stabbing in the dark what the actual driver was.

But it does need a driver, and I'm guessing that's why its not working for OP is because he's missing that driver.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I didn't have time to plug mine in to see what it was. I was stabbing in the dark what the actual driver was.

But it does need a driver, and I'm guessing that's why its not working for OP is because he's missing that driver.
As I said, I had not heard about a specific driver needed. Mine installed correctly on three different PC's so I had no reason to investigate further. And this thread is the first discussion of the driver that I've seen on any of the Motorola forums that I hang out on.

But, there is also this, The release notes for version 1.07 of the Minitor VI PPS lists the following known issue:

"The Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Driver may not install properly on a very limited number of computers using Microsoft Operating Systems. As a temporary workaround, the user is suggested to manually install the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge Driver"

For the OP: Have you tried manually installing the Silicon Labs driver as suggested?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have not used the Minitor VI but I know on the Minitor V requires the user to put the pager into programming mode by selecting Channel C and holding the Monitor/Reset button while powering on the pager. Does the Minitor VI require a similar process?

Cheers,

Brandon

sfd119

I have not used the Minitor VI but I know on the Minitor V requires the user to put the pager into programming mode by selecting Channel C and holding the Monitor/Reset button while powering on the pager. Does the Minitor VI require a similar process?

Cheers,

Brandon

No, you do not have to put it in programming mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.