My Experience with the Uniden Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxcom

Feed Provider
My BC536HP had the clock reset issue. I signed up for the campaign. A few days later I received instructions from Uniden including the UPS shipping label. My unit, aside from the clock issue, was in mint condition. I brought my scanner to the local UPS Store to package and ship. The nimrod behind the desk took my scanner and put it and the instructions inside a USPS bin and put it to the side stating that the package will be packed and shipped later that day since the guy who does the packaging was not in. She would not let me buy the supplies and let me pack it myself. The second I got home, I emailed Uniden, gave them my information and advised them of what happened and to check for and make any necessary additional repairs. I got no response.

My package delivery to Uniden was delayed because of the shooting in San Bernadino. Eventually, my package arrived and Uniden made the repair. It was send back and I picked up the unit today. The unit was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. Since I was not going to be home during the delivery time and fear of someone taking the package off my front stairs (which has happened before) I contacted UPS the night before the delivery date and asked if I could pick up the unit at the distribution center located 2 towns away from me. They said no. They suggested I have it sent to a local UPS Store where it would be safe. I said ok. There is a $6 charge for delivery address change. I agreed figuring $6 is better than paying $500+ if the scanner gets swiped. Well, the UPS truck never showed up last night and ended up arriving today (yet still within the terms of ground shipment). The box looked to be in good shape as their were no signs of damage or crushing.

I got the package home and opened it up. It was very safely packaged. However, the antenna connector was damaged. The top of the connector had been flattened, as if someone dropped it on the connector. I tried to round out the connector and was eventually able to get the antenna cable attached to the connector (note the studs on the connector was fine. The scanner appears to receive fine. The clock is programmed. However, the display lighting looks different. It looks like a dirty white color instead of the crisp white that it once had. But it seems to be operating fine. If reception is a problem because of the connector,I will bring it to my local scanner shop to make the repair instead of sending it to Uniden (quicker turnaround time). I'm not sure who damaged the scanner in the first place, but with my interaction with UPS, I will be sure to use FedEx or DHL or the USPS from now on. I just do not trust UPS.

So when you send your scanner out for repair, be sure to check the scanner and take pictures of the before and after.

MFCJR

I packed and boxed two 536 scanners together myself before bringing it to the UPS Store for the repair. I received them back in two separate boxes. One was a little crushed and I was afraid to look inside. But the scanner was not damaged.

wise871

Database Admin
I tried calling Uniden repair for status on my 436 but all I got was put on hold for 30 minutes. :(

garys

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like your complaint is with the UPS store, not Uniden. Like others, I boxed the scanners myself, attached the label, and brought them to a UPS pick up location. In my case, it was Staples.

I'd guess that the connector was damaged at the UPS store and no one at Uniden looked at it since that wasn't part of the repair campaign.

If you're in New Jersey, how was delivery of the package to Texas delayed by an event in California?

Voyager

It sounds like your complaint is with the UPS store, not Uniden.

I'd guess that the connector was damaged at the UPS store and no one at Uniden looked at it since that wasn't part of the repair campaign.

Agreed. The topic is very misleading. It should say "My Experience with the UPS Store".

I'm surprised that Uniden didn't replace the connector unless it was damaged somehow on the return trip. Was there any other damage?

I also wonder if you could have had UPS hold delivery for one more day but to the original address without charge.

On the LEDs, I think I read they are using different LEDs (which makes sense, as they don't want a repeat issue), so the color bot being identical is not a surprise.

Also, I've priced DHL for international shipments, and their base price was close to $100.

sschmal

I sent 2 BCD536HP's back to Uniden back in November for the RTC and Dim Display issues, today almost month later I received them back and one seems to be working perfect BUT the second unit will no longer receive anything.
It is not receiving any signals, never stops on any channel, never see’s any signal strength even when doing an ID Scan on a trunked system, have swapped out SD cards, power and antennas with known good units, have reprogramed with Sentinel software but trouble follows the scanner and never receives anything at all, also appears to be scanning much much slower than the other BCD536 scanners I have. please note I do have audio if I bring the squelch down.
I called Uniden over 2 hours ago and they said they will be sending me a return label and apologized for the problem.
Has anyone else had this issue of the scanner not receiving?
I have not received the label yet and I guess I will be waiting another month to have it returned to me.
I have been a very loyal Uniden customer from back in the 70's I have owned a BC101, BC210, BC210xlt, 4 BC350A, 6 BC796D, 2 BCD396T, 2 BCD436HP and 4 BCD536HP and have always been very satisfied with the quality of the product but with this last round of products BCDx36HP I am beginning to worry

boxcom

Feed Provider
It sounds like your complaint is with the UPS store, not Uniden. Like others, I boxed the scanners myself, attached the label, and brought them to a UPS pick up location. In my case, it was Staples.

If you're in New Jersey, how was delivery of the package to Texas delayed by an event in California?

My package went out by ground and was stopped in Hodgkins, Illinois. Apparently, a delivery was made to the perp's house in California. For some reason, UPS shipping was halted, I assume, to see if other packages were headed to that house.

The complaint may be with either. UPMan stated in another post that if there is another repair needing to be made, let them know and it would go to the regular repair queue after the clock issue was fixed. I don't believe that Uniden would let the scanner come back with a damaged BNC connector on it. But then again, if there is no mention of something else needing repair, Uniden won't fix it. I've never had issues with Uniden repair service. When I picked it up, the box was fine, with no evidence of damage, and the packing was done very well. So if UPS Store messed it up when the packed and shipped, and the damage was obvious, I'm not sure why Uniden just would not fix it. But, it is what it is. It is receiving signals just fine.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I sent 1 of my 536HPs back for the RTC problem and also the dim LED. I agree the LED is not the same as new BUT it is bright enough on the low setting so I'm not going to worry about.

As for packing the scanner when I received the notice from Uniden, I put the scanner back into the original box it came in. Yes I always save the boxes just for events like this or in the event I sell the scanner. I took it up to my local UPS Store with the labels and they put the scanner in another box with plenty of packing material. I would never trust anyone packing something this costly with out me watching it being packed or packing it myself. My scanner was returned in the same condition it was shipped in, just like new but with the RTC, headphone and display fixed.

seth21w

My question is this because I am very ocd about my 436hp if everything else worked on the scanner, backlight audio speaker head phone jack receiving good. Why send it and all that hassle, just for the clock to be right?!

Voyager

Maybe his VCR is blinking, too. Some people don't care about the time, and unless you use the recording, there really is no need for an accurate clock. Even then, it's not an absolute necessity.

seth21w

I'm just saying the scanner works good scanning and recording without the time being correct. But now because of the return it's probably been mishandled and actually may develop a SERIOUS problem. But the time will be correct. Lol

epilab

Premium Subscriber
I sent 1 of my 536HPs back for the RTC problem and also the dim LED. I agree the LED is not the same as new BUT it is bright enough on the low setting so I'm not going to worry about.

As for packing the scanner when I received the notice from Uniden, I put the scanner back into the original box it came in. Yes I always save the boxes just for events like this or in the event I sell the scanner. I took it up to my local UPS Store with the labels and they put the scanner in another box with plenty of packing material. I would never trust anyone packing something this costly with out me watching it being packed or packing it myself. My scanner was returned in the same condition it was shipped in, just like new but with the RTC, headphone and display fixed.

I recently purchased a bcd536hp and found the LED has the off white color. I am assuming it is the "new" replacement now used in order elimination of the dimming issue. Would have preferred the bright white but it will do

hustlinpete

Premium Subscriber
I realize this is an old post, but I searched this forum for "backlight" because I just ordered a second BCD536HP from Amazon and received what I thought was a defective unit because the backlight was more dim. After returning it and buying another, it has the same backlight.

Thanks for this thread because now I know the dimmer LED is the new normal. FWIW my bright LED was on the Z48xxxxxx serial number, and what I consider to be the dimmer LED is obviously a newer model with the Z68xxxxxx serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.