Renegade Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

Being new to this hobby and on the cusp of taking my General exam next week and therefore having the seriousness of FCC violations drummed into my head via studying for the past two months......

Why are the crazy people on the K6MWT repeater in LA allowed to operate with such impunity?

KE0GXN

TheSpaceMann

Being new to this hobby and on the cusp of taking my General exam next week and therefore having the seriousness of FCC violations drummed into my head via studying for the past two months......

Why are the crazy people on the K6MWT repeater in LA allowed to operate with such impunity?
It looks like the FCC has basically given up on this repeater. Constant profanity, jamming, music playing, operators failing to identify, people making extremely racist and sexist comments, etc! The FCC seems to be ignoring it just like with the CB band. https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web

KE0GXN

It looks like the FCC has basically given up on this repeater. Constant profanity, jamming, music playing, operators failing to identify, people making extremely racist and sexist comments, etc! The FCC seems to be ignoring it just like with the CB band. https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web

I hear ya and I have read that in various places, as far as the FCC not having the manpower to be out "foxhunting" and what not...but for some reason they had no problems putting the habius grabis on the Florida guy.....

I just find that weird, when you hear what the knuckleheads in LA are putting over the air....and no one is fining them.

Yet the FCC found the manpower to snag this other guy up and fine him $3,500 for not identifying.

I am just glad this maleficence does not occur in my area. The most I have ever heard was a guy (I am guessing because of the sound) on a BeoFeng, utilizing the siren/alert feature, trying to jam one of the repeaters and it only happened once while some guys were rag chewing, they ignored it and who ever it was stopped and went away.

Now CB stuff, yeah there are some knuckleheads all over the place on that, I live within a mile of an Interstate and a truck stop, so I get to hear all manner of idiocy on that band. :roll:

Last edited:

prcguy

I live within handheld range of this repeater and most hams in this area will agree to leave it alone. It gives all the nut bags a place to congregate and keeps them off other repeaters in the area. The few times 147.435 was off air the idiots trashed many other repeaters until 435 was back for them to wallow in their vomit.
prcguy

KE0GXN

I live within handheld range of this repeater and most hams in this area will agree to leave it alone. It gives all the nut bags a place to congregate and keeps them off other repeaters in the area. The few times 147.435 was off air the idiots trashed many other repeaters until 435 was back for them to wallow in their vomit.
prcguy

Yeah, I can understand that, if I lived over your way.

I imagine it does keeps them all in one place and allows respectable folks to use other repeaters...

I just find it deplorable that the FCC allows it.

I know the onus is on the listener to "not listen", I just find it nuts that they are allowed to act that way, after all the material I have studied and read so far on the rules of the service.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Yup. Sad to say, but if there are no bad neighborhoods then the bad people will move into YOUR neighborhood. 435 works to contain the madness.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just find it deplorable that the FCC allows it.

I know the onus is on the listener to "not listen", I just find it nuts that they are allowed to act that way, after all the material I have studied and read so far on the rules of the service.

I agree. We're paying the FCC, and they don't want to do their job! Pretty common in today's government. What really surprises me is people that are ok with this attitude.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's been my observation that the FCC only pursues amateur radio issues if it's on HF (which affects a larger portion of their jurisdiction than a VHF repeater) or if it interferes with another licensed service.

As others have stated, when you hear stuff like the OP is talking about, sometimes its best to just turn the dial to another frequency.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Listened for a few minutes....my question is why would Broadcastify host this feed? It has been well publicized on these boards for it's notoriety and is listed as "renegade" in the title of the feed.

There is no question that there are a lot of violations of FCC Rules on this repeater. Apparently the FCC's rules and the obscenity transmitted do not rise to the level of:

Broadcastify Terms of Service said:
No user shall transmit Content or otherwise conduct or participate in any activities on Broadcastify Sites that, in the judgment of Broadcastify, is likely to be prohibited by law in any applicable jurisdiction, including laws governing the encryption of software, the export of technology, the transmission of obscenity, or the permissible uses of intellectual property.

TheSpaceMann

I agree. We're paying the FCC, and they don't want to do their job! Pretty common in today's government. What really surprises me is people that are ok with this attitude.
They are probably focusing their limited resources on more important stuff. However, they should be able to nail the offenders on there who actually use call signs, although many of those fools are probably using other people's call signs!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Got this other guy near San Fran California course on HF.

FCC Proposes to Penalize California Licensee $25,000 for Causing Intentional Interference
The FCC Enforcement Bureau has proposed fining William F. Crowell, W6WBJ (ex-N6AYJ), of Diamond Springs, California, $25,000 for intentionally interfering with other Amateur Radio operators and transmitting prohibited communications, including music. FCC San Francisco District Director David K. Hartshorn released a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NALF) on December 18, detailing the allegations.

"Deliberate interference undermines the utility of the Amateur Radio Service by preventing communications among licensed users that comply with the Commission's rules," the FCC said in its NALF. "Mr Crowell's deliberate interference to other users, using voice, noises, and music, directly contravenes the Amateur Radio service's fundamental purpose as a voluntary noncommercial communications service..."

An Advanced class licensee, Crowell is no stranger to the Enforcement Bureau, which warned him as far back as 2000 about intentional interference. In 2008 the FCC designated his current license renewal application for hearing, alleging that he had caused intentional interference, interrupted others' communications, transmitted music, and made one-way transmissions, including some containing "indecent language," the FCC said. His license, which expired in 2007, has not been renewed, but Crowell may continue to operate while his application is pending. Prompting the December 18 NALF were complaints earlier this year by members of the Western Amateur Radio Friendship Association (WARFA), which conducts nets three times a week on 75 meters.

The Enforcement Bureau recounted that its agents and the High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) Center monitored Crowell's transmissions during the WARFA Net on 3908 kHz on August 25 and August 27. As the agents and the HFDF Center listened, Crowell "repeatedly interrupted other amateurs using noises, recordings, and music, in addition to talking over amateurs affiliated with the WARFA Net, so as no not allow them to transmit on the frequency," the FCC said in its NALF. "His transmissions and recordings included racial, ethnic, and sexual slurs and epithets." According to the NALF, the interference

autovon

Ø
The .435 repeater is hilarious. It's free entertainment. When you don't feel like listening anymore, use the VFO or OFF button on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.