30 Yr Regional Dispatch slated to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmacinct

The 30+ year regional dispatch center "Colchester Emergency Communications", known across the air as station "KX" is slated to close June 30th - according to a local news article.

Article is attached in PDF

Attachments

• Rivereast sm.pdf
    188.8 KB · Views: 528

APX7500X2

The 30+ year regional dispatch center "Colchester Emergency Communications", known across the air as station "KX" is slated to close June 30th - according to a local news article.

Article is attached in PDF

Some poor moves by the board and some worse moves made by the dispatchers

It happens in 3s right...South Central C-Med now KX and ???

MrAntiDigital

Some poor moves by the board and some worse moves made by the dispatchers

"APX750..", would you please give us some details on what some of the poor moves were made by the board and dispatchers. Or if anyone else has some ideas on it. So that perhaps other similar dispatch centers do NOT face the same kind of end result.

Also, I would like to know if anyone can tell me "How many Dispatch Centers in Connecticut are combined OR is that Classified Information" ?

Thank you and a Happy, Healthy New Year to All.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
"APX750..", would you please give us some details on what some of the poor moves were made by the board and dispatchers. Or if anyone else has some ideas on it. So that perhaps other similar dispatch centers do NOT face the same kind of end result.

Also, I would like to know if anyone can tell me "How many Dispatch Centers in Connecticut are combined OR is that Classified Information" ?

Thank you and a Happy, Healthy New Year to All.

I read the link to the article posted in the 1st post and basically in a nutshell it looks like most of the towns it serves are pulling out and going to other dispatch centers for a few towns it looks to save them money.

cg

Premium Subscriber

If you consider the elimination of Waterbury Police & Fire Dispatchers, that would be three.

At one point, there was legislation proposed that a dispatch center could not get state money if towns were "poached" from other regional centers.

As far as towns moving to Glastonbury, I would wonder who will be in charge? GPD? A board of town representatives? Someone will not be happy with a power shuffle.

chris

MrAntiDigital

It is sad, as I once remember this Dispatch Center (KX) being one of the first regional dispatch centers in the state to go to the number "911" for All Emergency Calls within the towns they dispatched. While other areas were still using a local seven digit number to report a fire and another number for police. Of course that was a long time ago. But "KX" was considered a leader then.

When the Norwich Fire Department lost it's separate fire dispatching duties to go to a combined fire/police dispatch center at police headquarters, the mood was upbeat within the NFD. The 12 junior firefighters in the department were very happy to hear that. Then they were referred to as "The Dirty Dozen" being that they had to be a part of a rotation plan as fire dispatchers. But they really wanted to fight fires instead.

When South Central C-med closed it's doors, some dispatchers were offered jobs at other dispatch centers. Others had to pack their bags and leave. Now I ask myself this question. Why is it that Regional Dispatch Centers work so well in other places, BUT they just don't seem to work very well here in Connecticut ? (South Central C-Med, KX and who next ? )

Off the record we can ask the same question for Regional Police and Fire Depts as well. And if we probe a little deeper too, it might be why last year Connecticut lost population while other places gained.

Why is this happening here and NOT other places where Regional Dispatch Centers are well run, long term and established ?

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
If you consider the elimination of Waterbury Police & Fire Dispatchers, that would be three.

At one point, there was legislation proposed that a dispatch center could not get state money if towns were "poached" from other regional centers.

As far as towns moving to Glastonbury, I would wonder who will be in charge? GPD? A board of town representatives? Someone will not be happy with a power shuffle.

chris

Yeah i forgot about waterbury pd and fd, I have not heared anything in months on that but they were going to have NW public safety dispatch their pokice and fire call, They will do goid on the fire end of it but how about police communication? no one knows the city better then the police dispatchers doing it now.

MrAntiDigital

The contract is signed for NW Public Safety to start dispatching WFD & WPD July of 2016. They will be moving to St Mary's Hospital property in Waterbury.
Waterbury aldermen vote to privatize emergency dispatch center Republican American

chris

I assume the former KX 911 Dispatchers would have first shot at these jobs in Waterbury.

If so, there might be a couple of things to consider about that.

1) This is a PRIVATE COMPANY in the business to MAKE MONEY. The major profits go first to the Corporate Leaders and THEN to the 911 Dispatchers. I'm sure those 911 dispatchers would see a significant reduction in their pay and benefits. I believe a similar program is now in effect in Danbury.

2) If absorbed into the Waterbury system, traveling time would increase for many as they travel from an area in Eastern, Ct. Most would likely have to travel through the traffic in Hartford and into Waterbury. Those who have done that know sometimes it's not much fun.

When someone earlier mentioned about some problems with the board and MORE SO with the DISPATCHERS, "we never really heard what some of those problems were". For those that do NOT want to face a similar fate, keeping an open mind about it, maybe we should hear what some of those issues were.

Or maybe if we could hear from a few KX dispatchers telling their side of the story on why KX is closing. Is it based solely on MONEY or is it something else. If MONEY is the case, other dispatch centers could soon be facing the same fate.

This is certainly something to follow up on and to look into. Because if it is only money, as was said earlier; "Who is next" ?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Regional Communications doesn't work well in CT because 1. Counties were dissolved years ago and the towns are too proud they want to work together. We have a terrible fire communication system each town patches low band, high band, uhf repeaters. Out west where they have regional county dispatches they have built newer systems and everyone can talk to each other for the most part. It needs a big change in attitude here. You really save money and better utilize resources have a central dispatch and a good communication system. CT is way behind. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings but that what I believe..Good Luck to all the hard workers at KX.

cg

Premium Subscriber
KX is not being absorbed by Northwest Public Safety, the City of Waterbury Police and Fire dispatch centers are. Waterbury civilian dispatchers will be hired by NWPS. No reason that the KX dispatchers would have first shot anywhere, they are not civil service jobs.

While I am not positive, I am fairly NWPS is a not for profit corporation. The board is volunteer and the center is run by employees.

The need for dispatching will not go away but you could trim costs with economy of scale. There are lots of small centers with one dispatcher on duty, some towns even have several dispatch centers (Simsbury and Bloomfield come to mind). Unfortunately, if you were to try to consolidate centers, you run into the same mentality that doomed the State Police merger of centers. Too many egos, too much need for control.

chris

MrAntiDigital

KX is not being absorbed by Northwest Public Safety, the City of Waterbury Police and Fire dispatch centers are. Waterbury civilian dispatchers will be hired by NWPS. No reason that the KX dispatchers would have first shot anywhere, they are not civil service jobs.

While I am not positive, I am fairly NWPS is a not for profit corporation. The board is volunteer and the center is run by employees.

The need for dispatching will not go away but you could trim costs with economy of scale. There are lots of small centers with one dispatcher on duty, some towns even have several dispatch centers (Simsbury and Bloomfield come to mind). Unfortunately, if you were to try to consolidate centers, you run into the same mentality that doomed the State Police merger of centers. Too many egos, too much need for control.

chris

The question here is "WHY" close a REGIONAL DISPATCH CENTER such as KX. Small centers I understand.

I had just assumed that Waterbury would absorb those KX dispatchers. But sounds like Waterbury already has it's dispatchers to choose from.

The regional thing doesn't work too well here in Ct as was pointed out. But here in the case of KX regional dispatch, it DID work well for a number of years. So why is it closing now ?

One look at the number of separately run fire departments with their separate budgets and leaders shows us how behind Ct really is. Egos and control seems to lead the way as was mentioned above.

But why are they closing a REGIONAL Dispatch Center such as KX. This is NOT a one or two town 911 center. It has been reported it is being closed because of the Board and the Dispatchers. So what went wrong to cause this major change of events after so many years of good service to its citizens.

Is this going to happen to other REGIONAL Dispatch Centers here in Ct ? There are other Regional Dispatch Centers spread throughout the state. Should they be concerned also ?

So far no real answer to "Why they closing KX". There must be a reason and somebody must know that answer. I am sure at some point the answer will come out. I'm just hoping it comes out before other REGIONAL Dispatch Centers might face this same fate. And most importantly how will this affect the people who call 911 for help.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This has been expected for some time. The department I am curious about is Salem. I believe they approached Montville, but that was never finalized and East Lyme is not seeking to dispatch another town. The only real logical options for Salem would be Montville or East Lyme.

sefrischling

The "Third" may be East Lyme-Waterford-New London combining. There are pros and cons to it, but it has been heavily discussed and is not illogical.

sefrischling

The regional thing doesn't work too well here in Ct as was pointed out. But here in the case of KX regional dispatch, it DID work well for a number of years. So why is it closing now ?

It is purely a cost issue. What is the budget, what are the needs, what is the return on investment. Colchester has been paying KX $108,732 annually for dispatch services, that cost drops to $27,752 with Quinebaug Valley dispatching. Of course what is the difference level of performance they get ... that remains to be seen.

We live in a state full of fiefdoms, a state where it makes sense for towns with less than 20,000 people to operate multiple independent fire departments ... and you want to consolidate dispatching?

MrAntiDigital

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
I happen to be good friends with one of the people started and worked for KX in east hampton. He said this was coming and it he hated to see it happen. Haddam Neck was planning to go to valley shore due to the new first selectman did not want to pay 2 dispatch centers. Personally i think this will overload Valley Shore

MrAntiDigital

I happen to be good friends with one of the people started and worked for KX in east hampton. He said this was coming and it he hated to see it happen. Haddam Neck was planning to go to valley shore due to the new first selectman did not want to pay 2 dispatch centers. Personally i think this will overload Valley Shore

Thank you very much "Kitn1mcc" for taking the time to check on this with your friend, a current KX Dispatcher.

What is hard for me to understand, and perhaps I misunderstand your point. Why is an ENTIRE Regional Dispatch Center closing down because one town (Haddam Neck) is leaving. I would think that one small town the size of Haddam Neck shouldn't have such a huge impact on an entire regional dispatch center of several other towns. There must be more to it.

Being that your friend has been there for a long time, he would most likely know exactly what is going on and what is causing the closing of this once well established dispatch center. I'm sure he would be glad for you to pass on his story.

Is one town leaving causing this entire place to close up shop.

Why aren't the other towns pushing to keep it open ? Many of those towns have been served by KX Dispatch for years. Why aren't they fighting for the dispatchers to keep them ?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
What did KX in was when they lost Hebron last year. This was the final nail in the coffin. I Think QV will do OK. they have a terrific operation over there. But having the Dispatch facility right in with Troop C was a plus.

MrAntiDigital

What did KX in was when they lost Hebron last year. This was the final nail in the coffin. I Think QV will do OK. they have a terrific operation over there. But having the Dispatch facility right in with Troop C was a plus.

"awasser1". Thanks for the quick comeback.

Okay so the fact is that KX did not loose one town BUT two towns within their Regional Dispatch. Two small towns carried that much impact that the rest of this dispatch center just could not function.

As I look at this total picture, I just find it very difficult to understand that this is the reason the place is closing shop. Besides what was the key factor that led these two towns to go elsewhere ?

So the general reason that this dispatch center is closing down is because those two towns left. So everybody else is leaving too..

Thanks "awasser1" for your response. I hope there is much more to it than that. That seems to me to be a pretty shallow reason to close a place down like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.