BCD396XT/BCD996XT: WX Test Tones help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotornator

Can anyone tell me how to test the weather alert tones on the BCD996XT? I did it before a long time ago, and I can't remember how to do it. There is nothing in the manual that tells me how to do it and I was unsuccessful with a Google search on how to do it.

Voyager

If you mean the SAME codes, those are more complex. If you mean the simple alert tone, it's 8 seconds of 1050 Hz sine wave.

FKimble

My first search turned this up:
When does your office conduct its weekly NOAA Weather Radio alert test?

Every Wednesday between 11 am and Noon is the test of the NOAA Weather Radio tone-alert system and the SAME alert system. This is true all across the country. You can take your NOAA Weather Radio with you on vacations and business trips. The test is received by the specially built NOAA Weather Radios with the tone-alert and/or the SAME-alert features. People purchasing these radios should use the test to ensure that their radios are functioning properly. Tests of the NOAA Weather Radio warning system will be canceled in situations where hazardous weather and warnings are already present in your listening area or are expected in the next couple hours.

Rotornator

Thank you for the quick responses, but I was referring to the watch and warning weather alert tones to hear what they sound like

Voyager

Maybe check the Starrsoft website. Also try googling "GRE same alert tones"

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Try this...

Testing the Weather Alert

To test the alert to see what each alert sounds like, monitor the weather mode, then press L/HOLD. Hold PRI for 2 seconds to start the test. Press any key to exit the test. The scanner sounds each of the three alert types repeatedly.

Rotornator

Guys, thank you for your assistance, but I made a mistake and was thinking about my old 780XLT scanner. Moderators please close this thread. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.