It has been a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfrench

Hey everyone... It has been a very long time since I have logged on as I very recently needed to update a couple of my Scanners and was great to read thru a lot of the information that is abundant here.

One question- Does anyone have a good updated Program list by county that works well on the DTRS?

I fully understand the programing process but want to limit the number of DTRS/tower sights per county. Always seems at least for me... if the Control Frequency is not in the right order I miss some traffic... For example on Arapahoe County- If I do not list the Chevron tower first the scanner does not seem to pull any traffic... what am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated- Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Unfortunately, I do not have a Pro-96/2096 and do not have my programming sorted by county.

To answer your second question, you generally want to program sites that is most likely going to carry the traffic you want to hear. Although DTRS is one system, not all sites constantly carry traffic for a particular county. For example, Thorodin actually denies access for Arapahoe County and would be a bad choice to have programmed if that is what you want to listen to. Separating programming by county or even particular sites can be preferred if you know where you will hear the talkgroups on.

gfrench

Thanks Spitfire for the response and input.

Yeah makes sense and have found best results by just trying different things and order I list things for sure.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
One thing you'll find with the PRO-96 is that it does NOT cover the 700MHz channels, and Radio Shack / GRE never provided any software updates to the PRO-96 to make that possible. There are a fair number of 700MHz control channels in use. Some towers are exclusively 700MHz. You can see this by viewing the two DTRS systems here State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies and here Front Range Communications Consortium (FRCC) Trunking System, Weld County, Colorado - Scanner Frequencies

You're going to find yourself stuck. I'd say buck up for a used PRO-197, but with P25 Phase II coming down the road, I sure wouldn't want to spend much on a new rig.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
To clarify the above, there's only a small handful of rather recent rigs that support the narrow bandwidth APCO P25 Phase II signals. They're made by Uniden and Whistler (previously. GRE), at $400+ (portable BCD436HP right at $400, typically, and others higher). As this standard phases in, these (and any that follow) will be the only way to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.