So, What's the Verdict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
We've had the much anticipated release of the Whistler 1088 and 1098 scanners. Christmas has passed, so those 1088s and 1098s left under the tree should be open by now and in use.

The jury should now be in with a verdict on these scanners.

Despite two other threads where the release has been discussed, the overall response and discussion has been fairly anemic. Actually, in all the years I've been on RR, (and I've been here for a long time), I've never seen such a flaccid response to the release of two major scanners.

So, is that it? Are these scanners simply older technology that's been around from GRE for quite some time with keyboards at a very high price?

Or, is the jury still out....

Happy New Year!

Blackswan73

There are absolutely no differences between the 1080/1095 and the 1088/1098 scanners except for the addition of the keypad. There are no feature or performance enhancements. They are the same radios except for the keypads

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Had a chance to try out the 1088 and 1098 for a few hours. Same old scanners as the PSR-800 in different packaged forms. Nothing really new or innovative attempts. I can see possibly why someone who wants a remote head would choose the 1095/1098.
It took but a few hours to encounter the same old simulcast issues, desense issues here in radio-dense (I mean radio-jungle) Los Angeles, and obviously the limited software option (none, EZ-scan, that's it).
I'll keep my 436 (x 2) and 536 (x 4). Am I a Uniden fan boy, no, I have been critical of somethings that are well known to RRDB readers. But they are still the best thing out there outside of commercial equipment, provide the most features, and are the best (not always perfect) for the radio-dense environment of Los Angeles.
One 1080 is enough for me.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Steve....

Thought so. As you may know, I've been critical of Uniden and the X36 line as well, but agree with you 100% on your assessment of them as non professional grade radio scanners.

I feel very bad for those who dropped $450 to $500 or more for these old scanners with keyboards, making me ever more happy with my well under $200.00 purchase of a RS Pro 668.

Blackswan73

I, for one am quite happy with my 668 (1080). I find it superior to my 536 in a few areas. First, it is more sensitive to weak signals than my 536. Second, the audio is clearer, and more intelligible than my 536, and third, even though it is a handheld, the display is easier to see than the rather tiny display of the 536. Bottom line, I am currently considering selling or trading my less than two month old 536, for a 1095 or 1098. It is not that I dislike Uniden. In fact I love my HP2, but I am growing to hate my 536.

Last edited by a moderator:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
And for anyone who thinks I just knock Whistler, I don't. I have most all the GRE scanners. In fact, I am running the WS1065 (equivalent to my PSR-600 and PRO-107) right now. I also use the PRO-651 (equivalent to my PRO-106). They are decent, very good scanners, and I do have to give the audio quality "nod" to these Whistler scanners. I obviously prefer my 436 and 536, but these GRE/RS/Whistler scanners have real merits, and at least there is third-party software available for programming and monitoring.
The PSR-800 from the get-go never had the third-party software option. And the knockoffs still don't. Why, I don't know. I have used all kinds of software for scanners, ranging from Sentinel, Butel, ProScan, FreeScan, Win500, and so on. EZ-Scan is by far the most clunky scanner software I have encountered.

Swipesy

The PSR-800 from the get-go never had the third-party software option. And the knockoffs still don't. Why, I don't know. I have used all kinds of software for scanners, ranging from Sentinel, Butel, ProScan, FreeScan, Win500, and so on. EZ-Scan is by far the most clunky scanner software I have encountered.

Don Starr has explained on these forums several times why there is no 3rd Party software for the PSR-800/Whistler versions. His answer has been challenged by some very bright programmers as to the validity of why but it is what it is and we are stuck with it. I agree with you 100% as to "by far the most clunky scanner software" ever.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Muskrat39
You posted I guess while I wrote my last post so I could not address your response. I do realize that many experienced scanner enthusiasts on this list, including yourself, prefer the WS1080 and related scanners. I do have to agree that the display on the WS1080/RS668 is quite nice, and these units, like the other Whistlers, do have quite good audio, better than my Unidens.
If someone would release the code so that Butel (Gommert) or some other third party could write some decent software, including the ability for virtual control, I might be apt to put more effort into trying to fine tune these scanners for my situation. But without that, not really good for me.
My scanner experience is as much about logging as it is about listening. I run scanners most of the day, but my actual listening time is often limited. Yes, I do use recordings, but often I am interested in just seeing what new channels and TGs I can log. In addition, I really enjoy using Butel and Pro-Scan so I can basically use my 24 inch monitors as displays, often running SDRPlay or AirSpy in the background to compare the SDR quality to the hardware scanners.
I have always said, your mileage may vary (YMMV), and that is certainly true when it comes to scanners and radios in general. The people on this list who use the Chevy-Ford analogy are right.

Regards to everyone and Happy New Year

Blackswan73

I personally think the most underrated scanner in the Uniden lineup, is the HP2. This little radio shines way above the flagship 536HP. The audio is excellent, and the display is the best on any scanner I have ever seen. It consistently performs on par with my 536, and is only a tad less sensitive than my 668. The only reason I purchased my 536 was to mount in in dash in my vehicle. I thought the in dash feature better than the stick on mounting of the 1095, or 1098. However, I am reconsidering that train of thought, and thinking of losing the 536 in favor of a 1095, which is currently selling new on Amazon for $385.

Ed6698

I passed on the 1098, I picked up a great deal on a 1095 for $325, could not pass it up when I found it. The 1095 with the RS 800mhz antenna works fantastic in my location on a 700mhz P25 Phase II system. I won't be needing a new scanner for quite a while as this system has only been active for a few months.

SCPD

QRT
It took but a few hours to encounter the same old simulcast issues, desense issues here in radio-dense (I mean radio-jungle) Los Angeles, and obviously the limited software option (none, EZ-scan, that's it).

I was waiting for this .. cause I knew you would not be happy with the new scanners considering they are identical to the old models. I was a bit surprised that you ordered them .. but I know, you have that disease. :wink::wink:

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I do not quite understand the "bassy" audio of the 536. The audio from my 668 is crisper and much easier on the ears.

Way back when, after the HP1, and before the X36 I sung the praises of the HP scanner. I always said that if they could do a portable based on that format it would be a huge hit.

I was soundly derided, as was the HP1 by many because the HP1 did not have a keyboard.

The rest is history yet Uniden released an HP2 on the same platform and it continues to be an outstanding scanner.

This entire keypad issue on HP type scanners still has me baffled. The only time I use a keypad on the X36 radios is to turn on and off quick keys. I find the quick key system cumbersome, btw as I have over 90 fav lists requiring either a very good memory, or carrying a list around with me.
I find it hard to know what Fav lists are "on" or "off" at any given time based on a confusing and VERY SMALL system of numbers in the display.

Turning on lists in the HP2 and 668 are a breeze, no keypad required!

SOFA_KING

It is hard for me to justify purchasing a new 1098 at that price when I have an old PSR-800 I got for $200 doing the job I need done just fine. The only reason I consider the 1098 is the form factor here in the home station. I have no doubt they are the same basic radio in different packages.

I'll wait for the right price. I know I might be waiting for a while.

Phil

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was waiting for this .. cause I knew you would not be happy with the new scanners considering they are identical to the old models. I was a bit surprised that you ordered them .. but I know, you have that disease. :wink::wink:

Sorry for the delayed response. Was away a couple of days. And Edmscan, I was also waiting for your predicted response. As soon as I posted my initial comments, I thought to my self, I know "edmscan" will comment. Thank you for your understanding that I have the scanner disease.
Actually, however, I used both from someone in the West Los Angeles area. I did receive units from Jeff at Ham Station, but after my brief experience, never opened them up; just sent them right back.
Happy New Year and best regards

Steve AA6IO

SCPD

QRT
Sorry for the delayed response. Was away a couple of days. And Edmscan, I was also waiting for your predicted response. As soon as I posted my initial comments, I thought to my self, I know "edmscan" will comment. Thank you for your understanding that I have the scanner disease.
Actually, however, I used both from someone in the West Los Angeles area. I did receive units from Jeff at Ham Station, but after my brief experience, never opened them up; just sent them right back.
Happy New Year and best regards

Steve AA6IO

You know it .. ;-) I have rid myself of the disease .. as almost everything 'first responder related' here is going to be encrypted in the next while. That cures that problem real fast.

But my 1095 is delegated to monitoring my local Edacs system .. using a rubber duck.

Anything more for an antenna .. it totally overloads. That makes anything but the strongest signals a non option.

My HomePatrol has no problems at all and why it is my go to scanner over the Whistler models .. kind of disappointing and why I totally understand your thoughts about these scanners.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
So, is that it? Are these scanners simply older technology that's been around from GRE for quite some time with keyboards at a very high price?

Or, is the jury still out....

Happy New Year!

$400.00 for a key pad !

Last edited:

Blackswan73

I get free two day shipping, and free return with Amazon, don't trust Jet. Too many bad reviews. Plus, I have an account at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.