End of Era For Last Remaining Spartanburg County Rescue Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckinscan

Feed Provider
Today Mark end of Era for the Last Remaining Spartanburg County Rescue squads that have shut down operations Spartanburg County Wellford Rescue Squad 21 Sign off at 8:00am this morning. January 1,2016

only Rescue Squad i think is still around is Landrum Rescue 11 but i think i haven't heard them dispatched to any calls in awhile.

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
EMS Change

I understand what you are saying. I have watched the rural EMS service change over the last 40 years. I can remember as a young boy, my dad joined the local volunteer (all volunteer) squad back in the mid 70's.

It was basically a bunch of local citizens (all men back then) that volunteered their time to get EMT-B certified and respond to the needs of the community. I remember the first few times he took me to the "rescue hut" as it was called back then how amazed I was at all the Equipment the squad had. 3 Ambulances, Transport vehicles, Heavy rescue equipment, jaws of life, dive boat. For an 8 or 9 year old boy. this was better than a trip to Disney land.

Fast forward 10 or 11 years and I too joined up and passed the EMT-B course. This was before the "Tech" schools offered it and you got your training from instructors on the weekends at one of the squads conducting the training. After a few years, the counties started pushing for a paid system. So it was the beginning of the end of our counties Rescue Squad system as well.

Never really understood it. Was probably way political and above my pay grade. However, I can say that through out my dads years as well as myself's, no emergency calls or medical transports never went unanswered, and NO ONE EVER RECEIVED A BILL.

Sorry to hear it go.

Later,
Tiger Scan

mckinscan

Feed Provider
I remember it was a Long time when a Local Volunteer Rescue Squad Transported someone to Hospital They never did Billed the Patient then few year later then they contracted a EMS Billing service to billed the Insurance company of the Patient.

It used to be 17 Active Rescue Squads.and now it is 0 Active Rescue Squads it all County EMS units now

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I was a Croft Rescue 18 member back in 1990 and before that I was with Whitney Rescue 2. Sad to see them go. I still have my patch from Rescue 18.

firefighter89

Rescue 11 is still in service. Theu're only a backup unit in Spartanburg County but they're a primary unit in Greenville County. I have a friend who works for them.

Rescue 21 is looking at the possibility of getting into non emergency transports but their emergency services have ended.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
This is the patch that we used to wear at Croft.

Attachments

• Rescue 18 Patch (1990).jpg
    Rescue 18 Patch (1990).jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 344

mckinscan

Feed Provider
Rescue 11 is still in service. Theu're only a backup unit in Spartanburg County but they're a primary unit in Greenville County. I have a friend who works for them.

Rescue 21 is looking at the possibility of getting into non emergency transports but their emergency services have ended.

I heard them. Rescue 11 on scanner yesterday responding to a call

Status
Not open for further replies.