BCD436HP Screen Color Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I have had a BCD436HP for almost a year and love it. I bought a 2nd one and the screen is a lot dimmer and almost a tan color. I used the same file to program both of them. Is this something I should send back for an exchange or have they changed the way they look? The display settings are exactly the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bcd436hp_screen.jpg

seth21w

I have had a BCD436HP for almost a year and love it. I bought a 2nd one and the screen is a lot dimmer and almost a tan color. I used the same file to program both of them. Is this something I should send back for an exchange or have they changed the way they look? The display settings are exactly the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bcd436hp_screen.jpg

I do believe this is normal and that is the revised backlight that they use now because of the early model problem of dimming. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

seth21w

Amazon because of the overnight shipping

Does it come with the 1 year uniden warranty? I have seen refurbished on there before that were sold as new, was the box crisp, and the 3 corun, battery's sealed? If so and warranty I'd say it's brand new. And you definitely have the revised backlight. That's for sure. I bought mine about 2 months ago and it is new and I have the bright one pictured on the left, but this may mark the start of all new units with revised backlight.

Last edited:

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Does it come with the 1 year uniden warranty? I have seen refurbished on there before that were sold as new, was the box crisp, and the 3 corun, battery's sealed? If so and warranty I'd say it's brand new.

It was a brand new box, everything in plastic, batteries sealed together, protective cover over the screen. Even the feel of it is brand new. I'm not really worried about it being used. The color of the screen has me curious, though. Thanks!

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I sure do not like the "new" screen color if indeed that is it. such a great scanner. too bad the best handheld of all time has this issue. can we get a confirmation whether this is indeed the "fix" to the display issue?

Voyager

This may be the first indication of a production line change.

It's interesting that only one has the Service Type shown.

@ XTC: While I don't care for the color either, which is better? A color you don't like or one that might dim over time?

I will say the new one looks more readable than the older one despite the lower color contrast. The first one looks washed out. But, that may be due to differences in contrast between units. I know they are set the same, but the displays may not be identical in the best contrast settings.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
@ XTC: While I don't care for the color either, which is better? A color you don't like or one that might dim over time?
i can live with the "new" screen IF indeed it is a fix. IF this is a fix, the next issue will be where we can get these "fixed" models without being sent an older one. if we find out all that, give me two more.

Voyager

That will be an unknown which I mentioned in several threads. You may never know if a dealer is shipping older stock or not. Some may have older stock for years to come - especially if they don't rotate stock. Any decent company will rotate the stock.

But, if this is a 5800 series unit, it's a safe bet any 6800 series units will have the changes, and if true that will be what you want to ask the dealer.

seth21w

The Australian version (UBCD436HP) released here late last year is also a slightly different colour from the HP.

See pix here:

Ozscan - Uniden UBCD396XT Instructions

I don't see anything about a screen on the link above about the off color display. But I can tell you from seeing post of people who have gothen the repair campaign done to there scanner that the new backlightsite come a little different looking. Like I said earlier I would think it's normal maybe you get long lifeel out of it. I hardly use mine but when I do it's on dim I never leave it on overnight or anything.

Voyager

It's a PITA for guys to see black text on a blue background, though...

Love the color blue - hate it for a backlight color.

I like the white (original) of the 436, the yellow of the 330, and even the orange of the 325 and green of the 996T.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
My picture was taken with a cellphone so it may not be the greatest. The resolution of both look exactly the same. As for the service tag, that's my fault. I didn't turn it on with the other scanner. There's no discernible difference other than the color.

I haven't noticed any dimming at all. I love my first one. That's why I bought a second one.

I hope it's just that I have the new screen. If that's the case, I'm fine with the color. I just worried that there was something wrong with the new scanner because the color was so different.

Thank you for all the help and replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.