Car to car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo55

Premium Subscriber
I just sold a Pro 106 and bought a Uniden bcd436hp to have the Phase II capability. Neither scanner picks up car to car talk.... Am I missing something?

I put all of my local analog and digital frequencies in using Arc 500 or 536 and everything else seems to work right...

Edit, I can hear everything except car to car chatter...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just sold a Pro 106 and bought a Uniden bcd436hp to have the Phase II capability. Neither scanner picks up car to car talk.... Am I missing something?

I put all of my local analog and digital frequencies in using Arc 500 or 536 and everything else seems to work right...

Depending on where you live maybe chit chat is conducted on cells? Unless they use encryption on car to car channels. A lot of car to car traffic is off the radar for valid reasons. :wink: 73, n9zas

daveo55

Premium Subscriber
Im close to St Louis on the Illinois side. I dont scan anything is St Louis though..

I generally hear NOTHING car to car...

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The agencies that I'm familiar with, Car 2 Car is simplex so unless you're fairly close to one or more of the units, it's not likely you'd hear anything.

vans113

Premium Subscriber
if it's car to car it most likely is not being repeated ... That's most likely why you are not hearing it. it is radio to radio traffic also known in the radio world as simplex. Now with that being said if you can find the freq and are close enough you may hear some of it. depending on what radio they use , and if it's a mobile or portable the better the chances. a portable puts out 4 watts max. a mobile depending on a few things may put out 40 watts. a repeater is normally 100 watts on a tall tower.

daveo55

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys! Makes since, I do live out in the sticks!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
if it's car to car it most likely is not being repeated ... That's most likely why you are not hearing it. it is radio to radio traffic also known in the radio world as simplex. Now with that being said if you can find the freq and are close enough you may hear some of it. depending on what radio they use , and if it's a mobile or portable the better the chances. a portable puts out 4 watts max. a mobile depending on a few things may put out 40 watts. a repeater is normally 100 watts on a tall tower.
Here in illinois on the statewide Starcom 21 system car to car talkgroups are repeated in each district, whereas in county repeater systems usually not. Some are even encrypted such as my county. 73, n9zas

teufler

Then again C2C, might be off the radar so to speak, the hunt is on. Do some searching, Check RR database, find all the licensed frequencies the entity is using. C2C at night, it could be a PW frequency or the jail frequency, trash service, dog catcher, meter maid, just something that few take the time to listen on. , years ago in Memphis TN, Drug Task Force used a business band trunking frequency which no one searched because "business traffic" who wants to listen to a pizza delivery service, or a pool cleaning company.. They worked it at night when few listened at all. If a white panel van, or a van with Texas license plates came through Memphis, they were going to be stopped.

DickH

If we know the exact systems (State/county/city) we might be able to give you specific answers.

DickH

I just looked at the database. Did you try Talk Group 17050 on the state-wide StarCom system?

Status
Not open for further replies.