2016 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know which agency uses talkgroup 315 on the Independence System? It appears whoever uses that one has it strapped with full encryption. Nevertheless, I've seen numerous hits from that group on pro96com. All radio ID's are 13xxx numbers leading me to believe it might be Lake City, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

bctrainers

Morning all,

Just had this talkgroup ID come over the JoCoKS system: 31848

It sounds like KDOT/Public Works.Anyone else have an idea on this one?

dfbarnes

Could be Sugar Creek, Missouri Police. Sugar Creek is on MARRS now, but I don't see them in the database, and I have no info on how many talkgroups / which talkgroups. I know their primary dispatch group is encrypted.

Does anyone know which agency uses talkgroup 315 on the Independence System? It appears whoever uses that one has it strapped with full encryption. Nevertheless, I've seen numerous hits from that group on pro96com. All radio ID's are 13xxx numbers leading me to believe it might be Lake City, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Could be Sugar Creek, Missouri Police. Sugar Creek is on MARRS now, but I don't see them in the database, and I have no info on how many talkgroups / which talkgroups. I know their primary dispatch group is encrypted.

Thanks for the info. Last I heard from Sugar Creek was they had plans to go NEXEDGE and stay put on their existing VHF frequencies (P25 was too cost-prohibitive). It's been a couple of years since I've heard anything, though. Glad they were finally able to get on the MARRS system with everyone else. Maybe by next year Lee's Summit will be P25.

bctrainers

For anyone in JoCo side of the KC MARRS system, I could use a little help here. Honestly out of ideas on what's causing this excessive simulcast distortion during the afternoon hours.

Ever since the storms on April 26th have come through, my BCD996P2 has been getting some persistent to sometimes severe simulcast distortion. Before April 26th, the audio coming in was clear and not even remotely robotic. Make note since the issues started, I've checked with and without a preamp. I've changed between three antennas; the package whip antenna, my Discone D3000N and my yagi Tram/Browning BR-6388-B antenna. The scanner is always connected via the Yagi antenna pointed into town at the nearest simulcast tower.

During the night time, the distortion isn't as bad - but during the day hours, every other reception is simply distorted, garbled, unreadable, full on robotic. It doesn't matter what antenna i hook into the scanner, all exhibit the same issues.

Previously, I've not had these issues - so i'm a little bit on the confused side on why this has become such an issue after those storms rolled through. When I tuned into the other JoCo scanner here on broadcastify/rr, (which only scans a very limited subset of agencies) for this county... their reception is doing the same that my scanner reception is experiencing - on the same TGID's.

Which is starting to bring me to another question. I have a feeling this is a remote issue at best and a shot in the dark: is it possible that the large hail and wind weather event we had on the 26th of April was able to jolt/shift an antenna on a tower here in JoCo to cause this really horrid simulcast distortion? I've noticed a lot of agencies dispatches are responding to their officers in Overland Park during the day that they're unreadable or to "say again". The same is noticeable with Olathe from time to time.

On the off chance, is it possible that my scanner is deciding to bite the dust all of a sudden? With the decode debugger active on the scanner, I have an error rate on the worst of transmissions of 78 - and just 30 minutes ago, 98, otherwise i have error rates from 0 to 6 (which is perfectly fine). The 996P2 is reporting a P25 decode values on scanning at 6 7 and 8 most commonly, especially when doing the general freq sweep. There are numerous events where this will go up to 13 to 15 and other times down to 3 and 4. I've noticed on some instances this will spike all over the place when a TGID activates.

I've noted that forcing the scanner to skip the current TGID by forcing it to scan again will fix the distortion as it retunes into the previous TGID.

Make note that one moment the TGID is perfectly fine while active, the next moment when it goes to reactivate, it all goes downhill rapidly. :(

factorone

Which is starting to bring me to another question. I have a feeling this is a remote issue at best and a shot in the dark: is it possible that the large hail and wind weather event we had on the 26th of April was able to jolt/shift an antenna on a tower here in JoCo to cause this really horrid simulcast distortion? I've noticed a lot of agencies dispatches are responding to their officers in Overland Park during the day that they're unreadable or to "say again". The same is noticeable with Olathe from time to time.

On the off chance, is it possible that my scanner is deciding to bite the dust all of a sudden? With the decode debugger active on the scanner, I have an error rate on the worst of transmissions of 78 - and just 30 minutes ago, 98, otherwise i have error rates from 0 to 6 (which is perfectly fine). The 996P2 is reporting a P25 decode values on scanning at 6 7 and 8 most commonly, especially when doing the general freq sweep. There are numerous events where this will go up to 13 to 15 and other times down to 3 and 4. I've noticed on some instances this will spike all over the place when a TGID activates.

I've noted that forcing the scanner to skip the current TGID by forcing it to scan again will fix the distortion as it retunes into the previous TGID.

Make note that one moment the TGID is perfectly fine while active, the next moment when it goes to reactivate, it all goes downhill rapidly. :(

It's not just your scanner, I'd think. The antenna being misaligned is a highly plausible scenario, and I'm noticing reception issues on my BCD396XT while at work (and I'm on the 4th floor of a 10-story high-rise). The Pro-197 in my truck seems to be doing okay, but I have an amplified antenna covering that, and the attenuate function works well when I need it.

It's possible that signals from distant towers on the system may be traveling better as of late, being that we're on a trough in the sunspot activity cycle, and magnetic interference has been on the downswing as well. If that's the case, the TGID skip that you're doing is probably kicking the scanner off the weaker signal and forcing it to lock on to the high-powered one from the closer tower (but that doesn't explain a misaligned antenna, necessarily).

Who knows? My biggest pet peeve anymore is not being able to follow larger fire/EMS incidents because of the county's insistence that their tac channels be encrypted.

bctrainers

Last edited:

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Looks like a major channel change in Johnson County on the MARRS system.
Do an update to your frequency sets. Looks like some channels have been moved around.
Namely the Control Channels. Just Updated the data-base after a few hours CC monitoring.

Also you check your WyCo and KCMO and East Jackson County sets as well.

HH

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Kearney PD may be in the process of switching over to MARRS. I've heard a lot of testing and routine traffic from them on talkgroup 34320 the past couple of days.

talkpair

I can't help but wonder if they aren't pushing their luck in a few of these places.

Jackson and Cass counties built MARRS sites out into the rural areas. To my knowledge, nothing has been built in rural Clay county.

As far as I can tell, the nearest MARRS site to Kearney is near Worlds of Fun.

scannerowner

Sounds like Kearney PD may be in the process of switching over to MARRS. I've heard a lot of testing and routine traffic from them on talkgroup 34320 the past couple of days.

I thought I heard what sounded like a patch on the VHF frequency they use. I wonder if that Talkgroup will be a Clay County Municipal PD Group or what? Maybe they're using it til they get a Talkgroup assigned.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I thought I heard what sounded like a patch on the VHF frequency they use. I wonder if that Talkgroup will be a Clay County Municipal PD Group or what? Maybe they're using it til they get a Talkgroup assigned.

Yes, it's marked in most subscriber radios as "CCS Muni". That talkgroup was used by Claycomo PD before KCPD took over dispatch for them. Randolph PD also used it before they disbanded. Clay County Sheriff School Resource Deputies have been using it ever since.

Some Kearney PD radios are showing up with IDs of 40307xx, but most are indeed showing up as a VHF patch.

scannerowner

I didn't know Randolph PD disbanded. I used to see them have cars stopped around 210 and 435 all the time. Just my two cents they should make a TG for everyone separately, so you don't have a ton of overflow. Any word on a new site for Kearney PD?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know Randolph PD disbanded. I used to see them have cars stopped around 210 and 435 all the time. Just my two cents they should make a TG for everyone separately, so you don't have a ton of overflow. Any word on a new site for Kearney PD?

I believe Randolph PD dissolved late last year. Clay County Sheriff's Office answers calls and patrols over there now. As far as putting everyone on separate talkgroups, I do see your point, however, that would be a nightmare for the dispatch side of things. With the way some of the newer consoles are set up and everyone wanting to consolidate, it makes more sense to keep agencies on as few talkgroups as possible.

Still not sure what site Kearney PD would use. To my knowledge, no new towers have been built up North. The closest site to them would be the one near Worlds of Fun (I-435 and 48th St). It's kind of weird that I can't hear that CCSO Muni talkgroup on my work radio, but it comes across just fine on a scanner. Same thing goes for MSHP's talkgroup (34045).

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
KCI Police Encryption

Has KCI Airport strapped their main police talkgroup (33156) with full-time encryption? I don't frequently monitor that one, however, my pro96com logs are indicating they've been encrypting for at least the past 16 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.