HP-1: Are these folks nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I trawl eBay pretty much daily and occasionally run across some truly ludicrous offers. I just found one such and about fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

Just who would be so foolish as to buy from this clown?
mprNE.png

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
I see lots of that on eBay and Amazon as well. I guess they figure someone will be dumb enough to not do their research for an item they want and just figure it's a good price. I have seen bcd536hp's going for $800.00 on eBay as well so there must a few suckers who just buy without doing some price checking first.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I should think that seeing "NEW" ones being sold for ~$400 would give 'em a clue that something is truly off with such a high asking price.

Hm, maybe I can put my "Lightly Used PRO-42" scanner up for sale and ask for $600...

Hey, it is an antique! :lol:

D

darunimal

I believe it's for money laundering purposes, either that or they want to keep stock.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Selling at that price on Fleabay will only ADD to your beating severity when the the poor ignorant buyer figures out he got taken and comes to ... thank you. :roll: 73, n9zas

Voyager

There is actually a valid reason for that. When a company's stock gets low, they don't want to sell more than they have, so they put up a ridiculous price to keep the listing active but not sell any.

The benefit is that you keep all those watchers that you would lose if you ended that listing and started another. I believe there are also benefits to the fees and listing priorities for maintaining the same listing. So, it's not a sucker issue - it's a business and eBay/Amazon policy and software issue.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well, that does make sense, albeit in a rather weird and obscure way... ;)

I would bet though that they'd not complain were anyone silly enough to actually click on the "Buy Now" button!

gewecke

Banned
There is actually a valid reason for that. When a company's stock gets low, they don't want to sell more than they have, so they put up a ridiculous price to keep the listing active but not sell any.

The benefit is that you keep all those watchers that you would lose if you ended that listing and started another. I believe there are also benefits to the fees and listing priorities for maintaining the same listing. So, it's not a sucker issue - it's a business and eBay/Amazon policy and software issue.
. Also a good reason to kick fleabay to the curb, since there are other reputable auction sites that don't charge outrageous user fees :wink: 73, n9zas

Jimru

Premium Subscriber

Never considered that!

skyliner

Premium Subscriber
Regarding e-bay, is it me or does it seem like prices of used analog scanners have gone up? Doesn't seem that long ago when you could pick one up for just a few bucks. I bought two oldies at hamfests a couple of years ago for $5 each. But I'm now seeing some relatively crazy prices for non-digital, non-trunking scanners that you would think there wouldn't be a great market for.

gewecke

Banned
Regarding e-bay, is it me or does it seem like prices of used analog scanners have gone up? Doesn't seem that long ago when you could pick one up for just a few bucks. I bought two oldies at hamfests a couple of years ago for $5 each. But I'm now seeing some relatively crazy prices for non-digital, non-trunking scanners that you would think there wouldn't be a great market for.
. Everything on Fleabay is outrageously overpriced, not just scanners. Sellers HAVE to soak us in order to pay the user fees! ... Simple. 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Not everything is overpriced. I've picked up some terrific bargains there. But then I do a lot of research before bidding or buying anything.

gewecke

Banned
Its good that you guys got lucky, but I will not buy anything off that sham site! There's other more reputable auction and resale sites that don't rip off their sellers. :wink: 73, n9zas

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
I sell on EBAY all the time and this site is horrible to deal with. Their fee's are 10 percent and then Paypal gets a hold of you at the end for another 3 to 4 percent. So to pay 13 to 15 percent fee's is horrible. And of course you have to pass along the fee's a little bit to the consumer so you can make at least a few peanuts to stay alive and then get held hostage from EBAY to pay your fee's to them at the end of the month.

Plus, if somebody gives you neutral feedback in EBAY's eye's they consider it negative feedback. They are completely going to go out of business someday. Just don't know when. Amazon is kicking them in the mouth real hard right now with sales. EBAY will be eventually go under in the next few years due to people not wanting to sell on their site and pay horrible overpriced fee's.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Its good that you guys got lucky, but I will not buy anything off that sham site! There's other more reputable auction and resale sites that don't rip off their sellers. :wink: 73, n9zas
I have no doubt that it sucks for the sellers, but it's not all that horrible for the buyers.

You keep mentioning "other more reputable auction sites" but never do state who or where they are. I'm all ears for anything better! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.