HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJRayRR

Hello All,
I'm new to the site and new to scanning. Bought the HP-1 since it sounded so easy for a novice to operate.
I'm able to program all the channels I want, but I get very little reception. I believe the startup was done correctly, although I did not do the extreme upgrade. My town here and surrounding towns in Somerset County is totally quiet, but I can pick up NYC!!! I don't get it......Looks like Amazon is getting this unit back unless I can figure it out. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it as Ive heard good things abut it on this site. Please help!!!

NJRayRR

New Somerville User, Uniden Home Patrol 1

Hello,
After reading up on a good starter scanner easy to operate, I got the Uniden HP-1. Loaded Sentinel, updated the firmware and version, set my location and the HP started scanning. The problem Im having is picking up stations beyond the 5 mile limit I entered, but nothing here in Somerville. I will get an occasional Middlesex chat, but mostly NJ State Police on the turnpike. I made a favorites list for Somerrset County but do not get anything, just keeps scanning. I would like to give this thing a chance as Im sure its not the scanners fault, but my lack of experience. Im a newbie to scanning so any help would be appreciated before I send this back to Amazon.
Thanks....

rwier

Hello,
After reading up on a good starter scanner easy to operate, I got the Uniden HP-1. Loaded Sentinel, updated the firmware and version, set my location and the HP started scanning. The problem Im having is picking up stations beyond the 5 mile limit I entered, but nothing here in Somerville. I will get an occasional Middlesex chat, but mostly NJ State Police on the turnpike. I made a favorites list for Somerrset County but do not get anything, just keeps scanning. I would like to give this thing a chance as Im sure its not the scanners fault, but my lack of experience. Im a newbie to scanning so any help would be appreciated before I send this back to Amazon.
Thanks....

You have came to the right place. Be patient. You will get the help you need.

rwier

You have came to the right place. Be patient. You will get the help you need.

I have attached a zipped HPE File. Unzip it and click on the unzipped HPE File. A new FL should appear in Sentinel. If that works, you will see that concerning the P25 System, far too many TGs/Channels are open for scanning. Trim those down by Avoiding or Deleting. Had to make some guesses as to your wishes. Send the new edited FL to the scanner. See if anything works better. Use the FL as a guide to set up your own FL.

Attachments

• 08876 NJ Test RR.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 110

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Thanks....

Make sure first your scanner has its up to date firmware and CPU. If both are current and up to date make sure the the library database is up to date. Frequencies, TGIDs, Voice/Control channels do change sometimes too over time. I live in close enough to hear somersets P25 talkgroup. A lot of PDs in Somerset county have migrated to the talkgroup. SOME fire depts have migrated to P25, but the older Motorola Talkgroup is still alive and active. However it is to note that there are plans in the future of depreciating that system. Nobody knows for sure what the older Motorola systems users will migrate too. Some speculate the 700 mhz system. Also on NJICS Somerset County has some DPW and other various talkgroups that operate in TDMA Phase 2 on there.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Your wish list.

Hello,
Thanks....

After reading your post, I'm wondering what specific communications are you trying to receive? There is some good listening in Somerset County but some channels are undeceivable with your current scanner.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and new to scanning. Bought the HP-1 since it sounded so easy for a novice to operate.

I'm able to program all the channels I want, but I get very little reception. I believe the startup was done correctly, although I did not do the extreme upgrade. My town here and surrounding towns in Somerset County is totally quiet, but I can pick up NYC!!! I don't get it......Looks like Amazon is getting this unit back unless I can figure it out. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it as Ive heard good things abut it on this site. Please help!!!

Please ignore johnls7424. In the other thread, a user posted a file for you to check out. Hopefully you can get your scanner set up how you want.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Deleted off-topic messages.

I think almost everyone here knows which scanner the OP has. Anybody who doesn't, should probably not comment any further.

NJRayRR

Thank you Rob for the file, but it did not work for me. I have Somerset County in Sentinel and tried to write it to the unit again. This time I may be getting somewhere as a few stations came up briefly. My problem may be actually understanding Sentinel. I thought stations should be set to OFF in the avoid column but when I changed it to ON it seems I picked up a few, still scanning. Mostly interested in PD, FD, EMS . Am I on the right track??

rwier

" ... I thought stations should be set to OFF in the avoid column but when I changed it to ON it seems I picked up a few ...... "

Yes, avoid OFF to listen, avoid ON to turn off. Make sure the correct Service Types are turned on.

Menu>Select Service Types>Tap (turns orange) any Service Types that your Channels/TGs are assigned to.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Phase 1 & 2

Thank you Rob for the file, but it did not work for me. I have Somerset County in Sentinel and tried to write it to the unit again. This time I may be getting somewhere as a few stations came up briefly. My problem may be actually understanding Sentinel. I thought stations should be set to OFF in the avoid column but when I changed it to ON it seems I picked up a few, still scanning. Mostly interested in PD, FD, EMS . Am I on the right track??

If your looking to scan Hillsborough, and Bridgewater, along with a few other assorted Phase 2 channels in Somerset Cty municipalities, they communicate on Phase 2 P25 Systems. The HP1 is not capable of receiving Phase 2 signals, You would need the Hp2 or the x36HP or P2 receivers.

rwier

If your looking to scan Hillsborough, and Bridgewater, along with a few other assorted Phase 2 channels in Somerset Cty municipalities, they communicate on Phase 2 P25 Systems. The HP1 is not capable of receiving Phase 2 signals, You would need the Hp2 or the x36HP or P2 receivers.

Thanks for that Dave!
I missed that and that's probably what I sent him.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that Dave!
I missed that and that's probably what I sent him.

Rob, the best bet, if I were he, would be to return the HP1 and get the Hp2 because this area is going through a lot of transition. Police channels in Somerset County look good for now with the exception of North Plainfield. There has been talk on the forum that they will be switching soon. Unknown which direction at this time.

Middlesex County is transitioning to P25 and he'd be in the right area to receive the signals as long as they keep them in the clear.

NJRayRR

Hey Rob and Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the Uniden units. After reading more about each unit I believe I will be making an exchange for the HP-2. Keep you posted.
Thanks,
Ray

rwier

Hey Rob and Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the Uniden units. After reading more about each unit I believe I will be making an exchange for the HP-2. Keep you posted.
Thanks,
Ray

Yes, sorry I took a short cut. Made the FL from the latest Sentinel DB. Never checked the DB here on RR. Since I am likely to try to help someone else down the line, I will remember to study the RRDB before doing anything.

If any desirable agencies within 50 miles of my home went to Phase 2, I would purchase an HP-2(E) immediately.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Yes, sorry I took a short cut. Made the FL from the latest Sentinel DB. Never checked the DB here on RR. Since I am likely to try to help someone else down the line, I will remember to study the RRDB before doing anything.

If any desirable agencies within 50 miles of my home went to Phase 2, I would purchase an HP-2(E) immediately.

Hey Rob,

You do a great job helping the RR members when they are in need of help. It's very much appreciated. At times, especially when I haven't made changes to Sentinel & Homepatrol database in a while, I forget the shortcuts, and always ask and get a quick response from great RR members like yourself. Keep up the good work!

Ray, I'm glad you heading in the right direction with the Hp2, It's a very good and reliable scanner. I have one and have only changed the antenna to fine tune it. The Hp2 makes for some good listening here in Somerset County.

Please ask if you need anymore help.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Additional Update

As per RR Database Somerset County P25 Phase 2 (updated 01/14/2016) Bedminster and Bernards PD changed from Phase 1 to Phase 2.

Ray, The Hp2 will come in handy!

NJRayRR

Sounds good, thanks Dave. You mentioned an antennae upgrade. What are you using? Is it telescopic?
I was thinking of an attic mounted unit but not sure if it will interfere with my High-Def TV antennae?

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good, thanks Dave. You mentioned an antennae upgrade. What are you using? Is it telescopic?
I was thinking of an attic mounted unit but not sure if it will interfere with my High-Def TV antennae?

Ray,

Whips and loaded antennas keep the unit portable to carry around the house or outside. I've experimented with many but now rely on two, the Diamond RH77CA and Radio Shack 800, utilizing a BNC 90 degree adapter and using the SMA to BNC adapter which comes with the unit. I live a short distance from you, Green Knoll section of Bridgewater and due to the mountainous terrain reception is poor. Although using those antennas I get Somerset County, NJICS and the 800 system for the state police very well. Probably being in Somerville, you'll get those I mentioned plus Middlesex and Union Counties.

I'd bet on it that attic antennas are probably better but will keep you tied down to that area where the cable terminates.

If you find that you'll need adapters or cables there's a store in Green Brook, Green Brook Electronics (732 968 3500) on Rt 22 east bound next to Joy Auto Parts. They have everything but the scanners. I get my scanners through Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland. Seems to be the best price. Order it today, UPS delivers it to you in Somerville the following day. It's hard to beat that. Also 30 day return policy.

Please let me know how you make out.

NJRayRR

New HP-2

Hey Dave,
I have my new HP-2 for a couple weeks now and what a difference! I can pick up all the local stations I could not get with the HP-1. My next step will be an antenna. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.