Deputy Seeking Advice on P25 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I am posting on behalf of a friend who is a Deputy Sheriff. He currently has a Uniden BCD-996XT in his Patrol Vehicle to monitor MOSWIN. As you could imagine with the nature of the job and responding to emergency calls on rural Missouri gravel roads, he has shaken the Uniden to death. This will be his second time sending it to the Uniden Doctor. He is now seeking other brands and models of P25 Scanners. Now me not being necessarily a scanner guy, I am asking anyone who might have information on a P25 Scanner that is tougher than nails that can take shock and vibration as well as extreme temperatures. I have also thought about for roughly the same price as the newer Uniden, Whistler scanners, to go ahead and advise the purchase of a used Motorola with P25 trunking. Of course, with being a Deputy he can go through the proper channels to get that programmed within regulation for MOSWIN.

Thoughts? Concerns? Solutions?

Thank you in advance!

73 KDØFMG

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Unfortunately I do not have the necessary experience with mobile scanning and rough conditions to provide any input towards a scanner model outside of a general list of mobile P25 scanners.

My concern with advising him to purchased a used P25 radio is whether or not it is allowed by the department and the system. There could be a number of policies from either that apply to this situation. I would definitely have him check on those before he actually makes a purchase. It is likely that the system has some type of restrictions on the specific models of radios that are allowed on the system, so any old used Motorola P25 radio might not meet the requirements.

phask

Premium Subscriber
They seem to be one of the most installed in service vehicles. SO used to use them here, but I don't think they bother anymore.

FWIW- CA's contract spec's for their new helicopters has BC536's. Probably not as rugged as the 996.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Knowing that those vehicles frequently go off road and see high speeds, he simply should have wrapped the 996xt with some small core bubble wrap as a cushion. Even foam insulation would have helped cushion shock. :roll: 73, n9zas

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I do not have the necessary experience with mobile scanning and rough conditions to provide any input towards a scanner model outside of a general list of mobile P25 scanners.

My concern with advising him to purchased a used P25 radio is whether or not it is allowed by the department and the system. There could be a number of policies from either that apply to this situation. I would definitely have him check on those before he actually makes a purchase. It is likely that the system has some type of restrictions on the specific models of radios that are allowed on the system, so any old used Motorola P25 radio might not meet the requirements.

Yeah he won't be making a purchase right now. He has put out feelers for authorization from command staff. Even then he has to go through the state to be able to go on to the system which is a whole different animal in itself. I have a list in hand of radios allowed on the system. Just looking at options right now! Thanks for the reply!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Knowing that those vehicles frequently go off road and see high speeds, he simply should have wrapped the 996xt with some small core bubble wrap as a cushion. Even foam insulation would have helped cushion shock. :roll: 73, n9zas

Yeah he had it bolted to the back of his Harris Console. It was very secure. I guess that was actually what lead the scanner to its demise :-(

Thanks for the reply!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
A scanner could be mounted in a way to reduce the road shock involved...

Not having it bolted directly to the vehicle helps too...

I'm trying to figure out what you mean here. Are you saying it should be velcro to the dash or something where the sun could cook it or leave it loose to fly around on the floor board? I'm confused.

Thanks for the reply!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber

It was bolted directly to the back of his Harris Console. Wrapping it would have done nothing.

Thanks for the reply!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
They seem to be one of the most installed in service vehicles. SO used to use them here, but I don't think they bother anymore.

FWIW- CA's contract spec's for their new helicopters has BC536's. Probably not as rugged as the 996.

Give it a few months and it will the Uniden Shake N' Bake Paper Weight! I know some of the MSHP Troopers received Uniden 996XT's as well. I do not know what the status of those scanners are, but you are right I have seen quite a few of them in patrol cars over the years!

Thanks for the reply!

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
I was thinking of a mounting box with an inch or so of empty space all around to insert foam on 5 sides of the scanner so it wouldnt have a direct mechanical connection to the vehicle...

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
We do have an entire forum for radio installations and people post how they put their radios in all types of vehicles and many as well are familiar Im sure with this problem?
http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-equipment-installation-forum/

Note: Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies
One thing that I see listed for MOSWIN in the database says it is using some Phase II.
The 996P2 model is Phase II capable and is the same physically as the 996XT short of the programming connector.

Just I assume since he is using 996XT the county is phase I but Phase II would probably be in the future?

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It was bolted directly to the back of his Harris Console. Wrapping it would have done nothing.

Thanks for the reply!
. Wrapping the radio with some foam or cushioning material before mounting to the console would have reduced the shock and vibration to the components and pcb inside. Unless its a motorola, harris, or a thales with a milspec 810 rating or better, vibration CAN kill it. He might as well drop that 996xt out the window at highway speeds... :roll: 73, n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Since he has a console bulky ideas aren't ideal. I'd imagine he has it mounted down center next to radio in a slot. You could use rubber shock absorbers. Other then a scanner his next option would be to get a p25 radio capable of Moswin functions he needs either have his department get it programmed by them or find someone who can without issue do the passive monitoring trick on it. Since he's public safety he should consider a radio maybe used from a reputable source and have his agency or someone within get it programmed by whomever. Since its work related he may be able to use it and if he has any cost his end use that on tax returns. Being a officer to me it's needed to have ability to monitor surrounding agencies. Also sounds like a police union safety issue complaint if they interop or work with agencies using that system and cannot communicate or hear. He could also get a newer uniden I believe the 536 or 436 whichever is the mobile and get one that has the remote head and unit to mount in trunk. Mount it in a cushioned box with cushioning rubber shock absorbers holdong the box and also on the scanner side mounta itself or something similiar so the unit itself is mounted in trunk and remote head mounted up front in console.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
We do have an entire forum for radio installations and people post how they put their radios in all types of vehicles and many as well are familiar Im sure with this problem?
Radio Equipment Installation Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Note: Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies
One thing that I see listed for MOSWIN in the database says it is using some Phase II.
The 996P2 model is Phase II capable and is the same physically as the 996XT short of the programming connector.

Just I assume since he is using 996XT the county is phase I but Phase II would probably be in the future?

I might stop over there and see what's up. Yeah we have a handful of Phase 1 radios that are allowed to scan and monitor Troop A Talk Groups. If the theory I've heard is correct if one radio is Phase I on a particular Talk Group then the system should knock everyone down to Phase I. If that is the case then until those radios are replaced, which I don't see happening for a very long time, then we won't have to worry about Phase 2 around here for a while.

Thanks for the reply!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Since he has a console bulky ideas aren't ideal. I'd imagine he has it mounted down center next to radio in a slot. You could use rubber shock absorbers. Other then a scanner his next option would be to get a p25 radio capable of Moswin functions he needs either have his department get it programmed by them or find someone who can without issue do the passive monitoring trick on it. Since he's public safety he should consider a radio maybe used from a reputable source and have his agency or someone within get it programmed by whomever. Since its work related he may be able to use it and if he has any cost his end use that on tax returns. Being a officer to me it's needed to have ability to monitor surrounding agencies. Also sounds like a police union safety issue complaint if they interop or work with agencies using that system and cannot communicate or hear. He could also get a newer uniden I believe the 536 or 436 whichever is the mobile and get one that has the remote head and unit to mount in trunk. Mount it in a cushioned box with cushioning rubber shock absorbers holdong the box and also on the scanner side mounta itself or something similiar so the unit itself is mounted in trunk and remote head mounted up front in console.

He has a 2014 Tahoe PPV. I would have to look at what room he has since the back is loaded with gear and stuff. That is a good idea. I don't know about FOP Contact. I mean they gave the Troopers the standard load out for our county and they communicate very regularly on the County P25 Conventional Repeater.

Thanks for the reply!

sfd119

I've had a Uniden 996XT mounted in many vehicles before (EMS and PD) and our Northern Wisconsin roads are pretty rough. I've had no problems with it.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Does it have to be a 996XT ? I have a friend in the transport police and he has a Home Patrol mounted next to his console on a Pan-A-Vise mount. He has never had a problem. It is mounted in a 2011 Crown Vic PI. Although he rarely gets off road he does see some rough roads. Just a thought.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
I've had a Uniden 996XT mounted in many vehicles before (EMS and PD) and our Northern Wisconsin roads are pretty rough. I've had no problems with it.

Good for you! One of the lucky ones!

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.