Whistler

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Good question, nothing on Radioworld and Durham Radio, i'm about to order an WS1080 myself so ebay it seem.....

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for one as well. From what I've been able to find, they don't have any authorized retailers in Canada yet.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Contact TORONTOKRIS on the ontario section or on kijiji toronto he sells all brands of scanners.. better prices than Durham Radio & Radioworld and he does ship to Que.. i have bought several rafios in the past from him.. not sure but i think i remember see him selling some whistlers..

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Contact TORONTOKRIS on the ontario section or on kijiji toronto he sells all brands of scanners.. better prices than Durham Radio & Radioworld and he does ship to Que.. i have bought several rafios in the past from him.. not sure but i think i remember see him selling some whistlers..

Well, not looking promising, most of his ad's are over 5 years old, the scanner i'm interesting in, the ad is a years and half old... sending him messages and e-mail since tuesday and still no response... well... ebay it seem... and don't tell me amazon, 750, 1200 and 1800$ for a scanner? 'common!

BC_Scan

Home
Last time I checked he had both of GRE & Whistler mobile & handhelds in stock, not sure on that model (1098), but he is very helpful.

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Yeap, been in contact with him, thanks to Kirk23, my new WS1080 should be here today!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Glad to help Nick... TorontoKris is very helpful and his prices and service are the best..please let me know how you like the whistler..i have the Uniden 436HP and I am NOT a fan of it at all..

Kirk

I've been pretty unenthused with it myself. Later updates fixed persistent problems with the uSD card so that's not an annoyance any more, at least.

OKC (I haven't lived in Montreal >30 years) is ProVoice and has been unscannable (mostly - there are patches for the PD on the OKWIN system) but with the key, I can listen to OKC FD now. So there's that. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that this was a proof-of-concept for other modes, like DMR.

But, yeah, I can't say as I'm a fan either. How is it working on SERAM?

kirk23

I've been pretty unenthused with it myself. Later updates fixed persistent problems with the uSD card so that's not an annoyance any more, at least.

OKC (I haven't lived in Montreal >30 years) is ProVoice and has been unscannable (mostly - there are patches for the PD on the OKWIN system) but with the key, I can listen to OKC FD now. So there's that. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that this was a proof-of-concept for other modes, like DMR.

But, yeah, I can't say as I'm a fan either. How is it working on SERAM?

Hi Peter..
with the end of EDACS coming soon I doubt I will buy the ProVoice upgrade.. not too interested to listen to PD in either Longueuil or Ottawa..

as for how the 436 works on SERAM...I think the better question should be "how is SERAM working? lol

they (S.I.M.) are still having problems with missed conversations and poor quality reception at times.

and the SPVM have not removed the old system radios from the cruisers the last time I spoke to a family member who is a SPVM Sgt/Det. so I am not sure if my radio or the SERAM system itself. when it does work I find the audio is much better than the old S.I.M. system as for the SPVM they are totally encrypted so I cant hear them.

the thing I dislike about the 436 compared to the 396xt / 996xt is the fact I cant enter all the trunk freqs for a system one time then assign talk groups to different sites (called groups in the 396/996xt) ..or maybe I just don't know how to do it..lol

there aren't any phase 2 systems here in montreal I only use the phase 2 for TFS when I go to Toronto 2-3 times a year...a waste for me..

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
And for me, can't update you guys, our beloved canada post still has not delivered even if Kris has send the unit on ExpressPost next day.... 4 days ago.... the tracking still show the unit in missisauga as for friday 00.55 AM, a little bit pissed off but not with kris...I have better service and tracking with China Post!
Anyway, they are supposibly a new phase II system in Montreal... for the bus of the STM, the control channel send burst but Unitrunker can't decode it so not sure if the system is on-line yet!

Nick

VORTAC

Database Admin
Personally, I have not heard any radio problem with the SIM since their last migration.

In terms of old SPVM radios, it is common during major system changes to keep the conventional radio if ever there was a glitch. This is how it works for all major emergency departments in Quebec.

The P25-II phase (SERAM) is expected to take place when everything is stabilized and fully complete.

And yes, with the 436/536 you can program multisite with one ony list of TG.

The STM (bus) are now in testing mode P25-II (new system).

kirk23

Personally, I have not heard any radio problem with the SIM since their last migration.

In terms of old SPVM radios, it is common during major system changes to keep the conventional radio if ever there was a glitch. This is how it works for all major emergency departments in Quebec.

The P25-II phase (SERAM) is expected to take place when everything is stabilized and fully complete.

And yes, with the 436/536 you can program multisite with one ony list of TG.

The STM (bus) are now in testing mode P25-II (new system).

Vortac...

I was looking to set up my 436 like i did with my 396/996. To use the old S.I.M. system as an example.. enter all the freqs in once then be able to assign talk groups into different "groups" like i had alpha 1-5 in bank 1...bravo 7-16 in bank 2...charlie 1-5 in bank 3 etc..
as for the OPP to enter all the control channels once then assign each county their own groups example 0 to 9

Status
Not open for further replies.