Verizon radio frequencies in New Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if Verizon uses radios to communicate. I've heard that they use Nextel's but behind our local Verizon building they have a fairly tall antenna setup. I've searched the fcc license data, but everything that shows up seems to be expired. Does anyone know if they just use cell phones or do they use radios?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if Verizon uses radios to communicate. I've heard that they use Nextel's but behind our local Verizon building they have a fairly tall antenna setup. I've searched the fcc license data, but everything that shows up seems to be expired. Does anyone know if they just use cell phones or do they use radios?

Back in the day ( literly talking 10+ years ago) they used to use Nextels for field dispatch work. Anymore I am not sure. Cell phones are widely used though in field work, but so on board dispatch consoles in their vehicles for direction to jobs, work orders, paperwork, etc. Take a look at the FCC general licensing search and try to find if they have a IG business pool license or even any license under their title.

RBFD415

Great question, but I'm pretty sure they use company cell phones (not NEXTEL). The few times I've delt with their people they had phones.

I had the same question about American Water and NJ Natural Gas. NJNG most definitely has 2 ways, but never seem able to hear them talking about anything pertinent. American Water is a mystery at this point, formally did have radios, 5-6 years ago. Trucks look to have MDTs presently.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Darkstar350

Here in NY the Verizon field techs get their assignments on either plain old paperwork or Tablets/MDT type setups
Sometimes they will use GMRS or some other low power mobile/portable freqs for on scene stuff but nothing is repeated

I would guess and say that at this time the situation with Verizon is probobly similar in most states...

Verizon also has some shortwave licenses

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Great question, but I'm pretty sure they use company cell phones (not NEXTEL). The few times I've delt with their people they had phones.

I had the same question about American Water and NJ Natural Gas. NJNG most definitely has 2 ways, but never seem able to hear them talking about anything pertinent. American Water is a mystery at this point, formally did have radios, 5-6 years ago. Trucks look to have MDTs presently.

Gas companies are forbidden to use cellular phones. At least while on active scenes and such simply because a cell phone is NOT intrinsically safe. Risk of igniting fuel/natural gas is explosively high with a cellular device. Also have to remember power and gas companies are first line responders too. Same with water. Their services break and have issues constantly and naturally so, so they have to be ready at a moments notice. I know PSEG has a trunked system they use and a lot of water companies have their own conventional repeater operated radio systems.

RBFD415

Good point on the intrinsically safe aspect, true!

But recall that with the others they are business ventures first. Like Darkstar said, they can issue a tablet or whatever to field people and in all likelihood eliminate a dispatcher position all together. NJNG went to Wireless meters, now just 1 person drives around collecting info- eliminating X number of meter reader positions!

Darkstar350

Here ya go - some active Verizon New Jersey statewide mobile freqs -
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KH6489 - Verizon New Jersey Inc.
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KA37024 - Verizon New Jersey Inc.

Also a GMRS license - ULS License - General Mobile Radio (GMRS) License - KAD7936 - Verizon New Jersey Inc.

As far as Nextel - i doubt that Verizon would use another providers service but i suppose its possible that Verizon uses some other type of commercial/PTT type phones...

Darkstar350

RBFD415

Agreed on a national back up short wave system, but you have to wonder who works there that would actually have the knowledge base to use "legacy" shortwave!

Tech792

I deal with Verizon all the time at work. They use cell phones and tablets. Those FCC license links listed above are for in-building repeaters at their large building complexes for security, facility, maintenance, etc., not wide area dispatching.

RBFD415

Remember back in the day they DID have radios. Also mobile phones as recently as the 90s was a different technology altogether, much more akin to conventional land mobile/2 way radios.

They could also be leasing out the tower space they no longer use?

Near me I know of 2 cable company facilities with towers that formally had the cable companies' 2 way equipment. Neither company now has radios.

ecps92

Probably for the Old/Retired/Expired Radio networks.
The Legacy system was basically abandoned in the late 90's/early 2000's (Atleast here in the old NyNex area)

Verizon never used Nextel, they have their own network (the former Nynex, Bell Atlantic)
And generally use Cellular/Text and Data for Calls now

Then why would they have a radio tower behind their complex in Lincoln Park?

Way, way back in the day, back around the time PSE&G put in their 900 system, there was multi-site 900 MHz Motorola trunked system that was exclusively for NJ Bell (Verizon) that went in around 1993. The only site I was sure about was at the Boy Scout Camp in Alpine. It wasn't "dispatch" in the sense most scanner people thought of it. No one really camped out on the talkgroups, but rather used MRTI (mobile radio telephone interconnect) to contact their respective offices by phone patch. They would press a button on the side of their MTX900 (MT1000 style) handheld or front of their Spectra and get a dialtone, then key in the number of who they wanted to speak with the DTMF pad. But cellphones were still not necessarily mainstream at the time (I had a Marty Cooper brickphone back then). Before that, they used butt sets and grabbed any dialtone they could from a pedestal or punchdown block somewhere.

I believe those 900 MHz licenses were sold to Nextel (although they may not have used them) and are now part of the massive Pacific Datavision Holding Co. - PDV - license cache.

To my knowledge, NYNEX outside plant guys never used "dispatch" radios. There would always be a couple of portables for site work, but never anything that was extensively used. Mobile guys used cellular. And, "other mobile systems" actually still rode IMTS into the ground (and then some, by a converted VHF repeater). Anyone who would have used such system retired out or left a very long time ago, and those Part 22 frequencies (152/157 MHz) were auctioned off.

Most of the RBOCs now use mobile data and computers. Their vehicles are decked out with monitoring like James Bond cars and managers have all kinds of performance and productivity metrics to keep them busy. I wouldn't be surprised if there are sensors to detect if the cones haven't been taken off the truck once the vehicle is parked.

Those onsey-twosey licenses are like Tech792 says, for facility admin and maintenance.

jvdet

A while ago while working near a PSEG Gas install residential new gas line they used AT&T push to talk between outside and inside crews

A while ago while working near a PSEG Gas install residential new gas line they used AT&T push to talk between outside and inside crews

I guess technology marches on.

ULS still shows three licenses active:

WNIT313 - Lawrence Twp, South Brunswick, Edison, West Deptford Twp, Moorestown, and Bordentown.

WNIT315 - Fort Lee, Hillsborough, West Orange, Wayne

WPNZ824 - Salem

I'm not in NJ anymore. Are these still used?

PORTCOMMUNICATIONS

Premium Subscriber
I've worked for Verizon (NY Telephone, NYNEX, Bell Atlantic) for many years and always in the field. Years ago I remember the Field Supervisors had Motorola Spectras in their Coupes and we used MT-1000s and HT-1000s for traffic control and to communicate while pulling cables in buildings or manholes. There are still a few gang chargers with HT-1000s as well as some newer, smaller Motorolas in our field office on Long Island which are still used for traffic control and while pulling cables. These communications are far from interesting. Dispatch is done either by calling in or by using a laptop or tablet.

Darkstar350

I've worked for Verizon (NY Telephone, NYNEX, Bell Atlantic) for many years and always in the field. Years ago I remember the Field Supervisors had Motorola Spectras in their Coupes and we used MT-1000s and HT-1000s for traffic control and to communicate while pulling cables in buildings or manholes. There are still a few gang chargers with HT-1000s as well as some newer, smaller Motorolas in our field office on Long Island which are still used for traffic control and while pulling cables. These communications are far from interesting. Dispatch is done either by calling in or by using a laptop or tablet.

Yeah i actually have logged down a few GMRS/"dot and star" freqs as well as some of the statewide frequencies as most likely some type of phone line ops
True those type of conversations are a bit bland and actually would sound pretty much identical to electrical line ops or other utilitys but its kind of intresting to think of how a communications company communicates ;)

And speaking along modern day lines - would you say that Verizon now uses their own push to talk service?

Thanks for the great info :D

I was with NYNEX Mobile and NYNEX Paging going back 26 years ago up until they sold paging assets to PageAmerica and divested maritime public coast. I ended up working out of Blue Hill Plaza in Pearl River, Paramus across Rt. 4 from the Fiesta Hut, and Sunnyside up the block from FDNY's central repair shop at one time or another (actually had dual offices in Sunnyside and Paramus, although I spent the most time in Sunnyside). For a young guy, it was fun working all over the place, and I got sent to Montauk and Syracuse for cellular and Plattsburgh, Utica, and other Upstate places for the marine operator stuff (all T2-2R Motrac vintage MSY stations that seemed to be spec'ed like the IMTS stations - except the second receiver for VHF channel 16 was a Motorola monitor receiver, like a Plectron!).

That NJ Bell system didn't come in until much later, although at the time in NYC, ConEd was using 800 MHz trunked. NMCC had some portables in a closet in Pearl River on an itinerant frequency just for engineering to speak with each other, but used mostly bagphones (yeah, it was that long ago), and NPC mostly used what was left of IMTS. I think the wire side of the house in NYC was still using butt sets and grabbing pairs to coordinate work.

And speaking along modern day lines - would you say that Verizon now uses their own push to talk service?
I can't believe they'd use a competitor's (Sprint) product. If anything, if they need radio-like services, they're probably using PTT Voice over LTE app on their network. That old NJ Bell trunked system relied on MRTI (mobile radio telephone interconnect - "autopatch") to call into selected desks. I don't think I ever heard a vehicle to vehicle conversation on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.