Ulster Co. FD's (southern cty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spec

I'm seeing a pattern starting to develop in the 450 mHz region in Ulster County. A while back the county conducted a study to upgrade the radio systems for the FD's . As far as I know it never really went anywhere. Now I see several FD's in the southern county have obtained 450 mHz frequencies. They don't appear to be trunked, just department frequencies. Other than trying to migrate from 46 mHz to some extent is there a game plan in the works or is it a case just individual departments doing their "own" thing.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing a pattern starting to develop in the 450 mHz region in Ulster County. A while back the county conducted a study to upgrade the radio systems for the FD's . As far as I know it never really went anywhere. Now I see several FD's in the southern county have obtained 450 mHz frequencies. They don't appear to be trunked, just department frequencies. Other than trying to migrate from 46 mHz to some extent is there a game plan in the works or is it a case just individual departments doing their "own" thing.

Last thing that I heard, was that the County is going to move Fire Operations to High Band. I wasn't told when that was going to happen. However, UHF does perform better while in buildings when it comes to fireground communications.

Spec

I'm usually skeptical when people refer to the "high" band (not you) as most are not accurate by definition . Many of the departments in Ulster call UHF "High" band and some even refer to 800 as "High". Not that I care it's just confusing sometimes. Are you referring to VHF High or UHF ?
As I posted I'm looking at Highland, New Paltz, Gardner, Modena, Marlboro, Milton, Plattekill, and now Wallkill obtaining 450 mHz frequencies. All are adjoining departments in the Southern Ulster Cty. Now I see there is also a 460 link to UC 46.460 While some of these departments are LTR the others appear to be repeaters. It may be nothing but then again

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Only thing i see on the Ulster County site is a 800 mhz vote and the 27 page Bluefling proposal......the 800 mhz had 2 votes.....one in 2013 and another in 2014 the second number are 2014
Yes _19/35_ No _26/22_ No response _36/24_

X = January 2013 vote

X = February 2014 vote
- See more at: Radio System Vote | Ulster County

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm usually skeptical when people refer to the "high" band (not you) as most are not accurate by definition . Many of the departments in Ulster call UHF "High" band and some even refer to 800 as "High". Not that I care it's just confusing sometimes. Are you referring to VHF High or UHF ?
As I posted I'm looking at Highland, New Paltz, Gardner, Modena, Marlboro, Milton, Plattekill, and now Wallkill obtaining 450 mHz frequencies. All are adjoining departments in the Southern Ulster Cty. Now I see there is also a 460 link to UC 46.460 While some of these departments are LTR the others appear to be repeaters. It may be nothing but then again

I'm referring to high band as in VHF Hi (136-174). The person I spoke to is a member of an Ulster Co Fire Dept, and knows the difference between VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF. He knows EMS is on High Band, and knows New Paltz fire uses Ultra High.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Ulster EMS was always on Highband......Fire along with EMS i am told is being dispatched on 155.220 and i think is linked to 33.48 for the time being. Whatever flavor Ulster picks the neighboring county's will no longer be able to talk direct unless theres another radio added.....Greene going UHF Delaware Going UHF.....so i am told...If ulster goes 800 a lot of the small depts wont be able to afford extra much less putting whatever flavor there own county goes with serious issue in some county's of New Yawk spending 3000 or more for a radio.

Spec

62Truck- I had a feeling you meant VHF and as to Ulster Hose I guess they just got tired of waiting for the county to move.
The move to dispatch fire and EMS both on 155.220 in essence I think was a good move as the FD's were responding to many of the EMS calls anyway. Once the 33 mHz stuff gets dropped for whatever/whenever the VHF -Hi will already be up and running.
So back to the original subject....it appears there might be a move, slow but sure, to UHF in the southern end. Just about all the Highland equip runs UHF and VHF-Lo LTR as well a New Paltz. Something to watch and see.

wrath

A little off topic Nice to see what's going on at Home,have not been back since my Mother's Memorial service,but nice to see the airwaves are as mixed up as ever got my first ticket in Poughkeepsie almost 25 years ago and after moving from New Paltz down to Putnam-Wesrchester I was a member of WECCA although most of that crowd that Elmered me is gone and now I am an Elmer, my how time flies. NPRS last I was in town now called the old FD station 2 Rescue base when I was on the squad we where still over on the college property,anybody able to give me a sit rep on changes to town??

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Spec

Well NPRS is up on North Putt Cnrs. NPFD is using LTR for the most part and NPRS is on VHF-High with a repeater. The PD is running EDACS. The S.O. and the S.P. are still on VHF-Hi. Other than that not much has changed in the last 25 years so you can understand the frustration the fire services. I'm not ragging on anyone here as each service has it's specific unique needs in communications. The county is the size of the state of R.I. with terrain greatly varied as you know.

Now just to keep within the thread Wallkill's Fire repeater is up and running as of this post at a structure fire. Sounds pretty good. Clintondales is up too.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
This is purely speculations, Most FD's in Orange operate on UHF. It could be possible that the southern Ulster FD's are migrating to UHF for dept comm's to be able to communicate with Orange units during intercounty mutual aid. Again this is purely speculation. It seem's to make the most sense.

Spec

0955hrs today - Sounds like a simulcast of 155.220/33.480 on 464.950 for Plattikill FD dispatch. Department specific.

Last edited:

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
As a member of a Fire Department in Ulster County I like to explain what is being done in the county as far as Fire Radio communication. The current 33.48 Dispatch freq. is being phase out as of May 2016 . All EMS / FD dispatch will be on the 155.220 mhz. All departments have till May to change all there Low Band pager to High band pagers . Currently Dispatch is being simulocast on 33.48 / 155.220. The current low ban fire freqs. 46.28 and 46.32 were split with different PL depending on what part of the county your in . 46.34(F 1) is a command to the county channel 46.46 is now use as the response (F2). Some departs are using for there own department ops NYCOMCO LTR system , some are using UHF low wattage radio systems with mobile repeater . Some departments with in the county are using VHF freqs for there department ops and using low band county channels for mutual aid calls channels assigned by County Dispatch per call and what section of the county the FD is in. There were several reviews as to going to an 800 mhzs multi system but that maybe a dead end do to cost
There not alot of UHF freqs available in the Hudson Valley so they may be looking at a county wide Hi band (VHF) system that would tie in all FD , EMS and PD agencies into a system. Time will tell on what the future will bring . I hope this answer some question that have been raised . My best to all Have a great day and be safe out there .

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
This may be a little early in the game, but any chance of a PL/DPL on the 46.46 simulcast/patch?

460.625R PL 118.8. It's up on Cronomer and licensed to Cronomer Valley FD. It can channel steer via DTMF to several low band channels (similar to using a Pyramid SVR-200U). Right now it is set on 46.460 for Ulter 911 for Plattekill FD (since they have their site on Cronomer and both PFD and CVFD use Crudele Communications); but can be used to 46.06 for Town of Newburgh, 46.40 for Orange County LZ ops on low-band, etc.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
0955hrs today - Sounds like a simulcast of 155.220/33.480 on 464.950 for Plattikill FD dispatch. Department specific.

Yep, department specific. Similar to what Crudele does for COHFD on 460.150 and Cronomer Valley on 453.150 when dispatched from 154.205; Cornwall EMS on 150.875 when dispatched from 157.450, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.