BCD325P2/BCD996P2: serial port not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphics55148

Programming a 996P2 for my Dad. It is a new unit to me and I am struggling with a serial port issue. I am running a WIN7 64bit; ARC software for programming

I have 1) downloaded and unzipped the driver from the uniden wiki page 2) installed the driver and confirmed that it is functioning COM4 3) on port settings changed the baud rate to 115200 4) installed the latest firmware

Using the USB cable on the front of the scanner, connecting to COM4 and whenever I try to upload I get the following message on my computer screen: "serial port is not available or used by other software"

There are no other devices in use on this laptop.

Any help to get me past this point? Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Re-boot the lap top as well if you haven't tried that already.

Voyager

You might also want to try another SW package to rule out issues with that - especially since you are using a 64 bit OS.

graphics55148

I rebooted the laptop and got the same message.

Tried a different COM on the other side of the laptop and got the same msg.

Is there another SW program that you would recommend if this doesn't work?

I have the option of upgrading to WIN 10 but don't really want to.

graphics55148

FWIW: tried FreeScan yesterday and it did upload but I had some other issues with FreeScan and rather than try to figure those out, I thought it might be easier to work through this issue with the serial port.

Thanks again for helping me work through this!

graphics55148

If I can't work through this issue I will check out Proscan. What about downloading the Prolific driver for Win 7 instead of using the one from the Uniden WIKI. Worth a try?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Tried a different COM on the other side of the laptop and got the same msg.

Not a different port on the laptop... Use Windows Device Manager and change the COM port the cable is using to COM 3 for instance.

phask

Premium Subscriber
NO - Prolific is for the serial/USB cables, this is straight USB (actually scanner converts to serial, if I remember correctly).

I know there have been some Arc issues - is this a recent download? I think they recommend a new download, even though same rev number.

FWIW - I'm using Freescan on 2 scanners. 1 win10 1 Vista. Zero issues

If I can't work through this issue I will check out Proscan. What about downloading the Prolific driver for Win 7 instead of using the one from the Uniden WIKI. Worth a try?

graphics55148

Doh! So I couldn't find out how to do that right away but went to device mgr >>port settings>>advanced>>
That was set at COM 6 which I switched to earlier.
The drop down says that COM 3-5 are in use. So should I keep it at COM6 or change it here?

graphics55148

It is a new ARC download. We got Dad a new laptop to download the software because we thought the issue was with the WIN8 he was using. I am going to uninstall the Prolific driver one and reinstall the correct driver now.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Doh! So I couldn't find out how to do that right away but went to device mgr >>port settings>>advanced>>
That was set at COM 6 which I switched to earlier.
The drop down says that COM 3-5 are in use. So should I keep it at COM6 or change it here?

Change it to something that is not listed as being in use.

graphics55148

I changed the COM, reinstalled the correct driver, powered down the scanner and rebooted the computer and still get the same message. I really do appreciate everyone's help. Gonna sleep on it and try Proscan in the morning. Thanks again- I'll give an update if I figure out the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.