Orange county radio jamming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GSP

I just saw a Facebook post from an Orange/Rockland county Fire buff page saying that someone is jamming public service frequencies in Orange county? Can someone elaborate? Id love to see this person strung up by the balls. All the more reason to get that trunked system rolling

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I just saw a Facebook post from an Orange/Rockland county Fire buff page saying that someone is jamming public service frequencies in Orange county? Can someone elaborate? Id love to see this person strung up by the balls. All the more reason to get that trunked system rolling
All I know there is an ongoing investigation and SP Middletown is handling it. I know they've been asking people not to bring it up. After the Facebook post last night, the jamming got worse.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Break out the DF gear... and drop a friggin JDAM on the triangulation point.

dispatch1234

I've heard weird interference and some odd communications over I would say at least the past few months on some county and local channels, some were obvious, others I don't know.

KC2GSP

Quote" All the more reason to get that trunked system rolling"

It's actually easier to jam a trunking system. Many article have been written about it including using a baby monitor.

Hmm. I would have thought otherwise. Anyone can get their hands on these chicken ***** beofeng radios or the tons of land mobile radios that are flooding the resale market . my impression of trunked systems may be skewed though since I only remotely understand the technology. From all that I hear regarding trunking is that you need to do quite a bit of editing with hex editors to create a system key, which at that point the system manager could stun your radio If its found to have been creating interference. I know edacs is quite a bit easier to fool around and program a radio to but that's dinosaur technology that's getting phased out here anyway. My understanding of Motorola smartnet etc is all tied in with fleet maps etc but I know nothing is totally safeguarded from illegal emissions. Anyone can program a radio to jam a conventional system by unfortunately coming on this very site where inputs and pl's are listed for anyone to see

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
All you have to jam is the control frequency input, system fails.

I'm going to disagree with this. While you might block some, or possibly all inbound traffic, a Motorola 7.x generation control channel will roll to the alternate control channel if it detects an illegal carrier. And if all CC's detect an illegal carrier the control channel will still stay up.

But I guess all of this depends on your definition of "system fails". :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.