• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio over IP ROIP-102

Status
Not open for further replies.

knutfinn

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to connect 2 HYT TM-800 mobile radios via the Chinese ROIP-102 boxes and the internet.

Have anyone been successful in connecting these units to the DB-15 connector on the TM-800?
I have the 2 ROIP-102 connected in my lab. Now need to connect the radios.

Knut
N1QKP

petnrdx

Do you actually have the two ROIP 102's talking to each other?
I have not been able to get the settings right to get them to "connect" and pass packets to each other.
Getting the connections to radios will be pretty simple once I can find the settings to just get these things to pass "peer to peer".

knutfinn

Premium Subscriber
I believe I am successful in connecting (according to the config page). I did a "lab" trial by having them on the same network. I set one up as a host and the other as a client. Instructions were difficult to follow, but they appear connected. Next step and connecting the radios. Just don't want to connect the PTT incorrectly and blow the radio. The audio seem straight forward. So when I have some extra time I'm connecting two radios (HYT TM-800 or preferably KIRISUN KP8200 both in the shelf)

I expect moving the two ROIP-102 on to the internet will follow the same principle as above, I may also use a SIP server then add more ROIPs for a bigger simplex network.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Should be a standard streaming device based on a Linux kernel…but I haven't ever played with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petnrdx

My test setup has been to use one of my TIMS (Telephone test sets) to generate a 1000 cycle tone into the "sending" unit.
On the "receiving" unit, put the "other side" of the TIMS on there set to receive.
Then just ground the PTT IN lead on the "sending" end.
But, they don't seem to do ANYTHING.
I would certainly think you could put ANY audio source into the sending end, and get it to send audio to the other by "keying" the PTT IN (used by COR) in their drawing.
I have been able to get into the setup screens and set different static IP's for each.
But have not found the magic combination that makes them talk peer to peer.
These things would be a really nice problem solver for linking old analog stuff if we can get them to work.
Appears to me that there a MANY people that bought them, but nobody has posted much about success with them.

petnrdx

How did you set one up as a "host"?
I don't see that anywhere?
If someone really has a pair of these working, please share what you did to get them going.
It REALLY appears a lot of people bought these, but I have not been able to verify anyone that got them to work.

melbeckman

I got RoIP-102s to work

The trick is that you have to connect the mislabeled ports called LAN in the manual (left-hand RJ45, labeled WAN on the box) to networks that can reach each other (e.g., via public IP addresses through a firewall DMZ translation), or directly to each other with a straight-through cable. I used the direct connect method. Then you must connect ports called PC (in the manual), but labeled LAN on the box, to a computer to configure the devices.

Here is the config that worked for me:

RoIP-1 box
Preferences: RoIP Registration Mode pop-up = Peer
Network Settings
LAN port pop-up = Static IP
IP: 192.168.5.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default route: blank, because I'm directly connecting RoIP-1 and RoIP-2
PC port pop-up: Static IP
IP: 192.168.8.1
DHCP Server: DISABLED
Call Settings
Group 1 (That's the only choice)
Group SIP Number: 101 (this is the "extension number" of this station)
SIP Proxy: 192.168.5.1 (note that RoIP-1 must point to itself as it's acting as proxy server)
Register Expiry: 300

RoIP-2 box
Preferences: RoIP Registration Mode pop-up = Peer
Network Settings
LAN port pop-up = Static IP
IP: 192.168.5.2
Default route: blank, because I'm directly connecting RoIP-1 and RoIP-2
PC port pop-up: Static IP
IP: 192.168.8.2
DHCP Server: DISABLED
Call Settings
Group 1 (That's the only choice)
Group SIP Number: 102 (this is the "extension number" of this station)
SIP Proxy: 192.168.5.1 (because RoIP-1 is acting as proxy server)
Register Expiry: 300
Auto Dial Number: 101 (this rings up a permanent call between the two boxes, since the radios can't "dial" themselves).

With the two left-hand ports connected to each other, the link lights will come on and then the top button will flash twice per second. The status page will show GROUP 1 STATUS LOGOUT. Be patient. It takes about a minute for the units to establish a connection Eventually the top lights will flash once per second, and the status page will show GROUP 1 STATUS LOGIN. This means a SIP connection is established to the RoIP-1 box by both boxes (RoIP-1 connects to itself, and RoIP-2 connects to RoIP-1). Because you configured RoIP-2 to auto-dial RoIP-1 at its extension number of 101, a call has also been established for full-duplex audio.

Now you just have to get the radio interface connected properly, which is what I'm struggling with right now. With the default PTT configuration input=0/output=0, nothing happens. With any other combination, I get either continuous PTT, which does transmit audio to the other box (yay) with no way to unkey the transmitter, or I get PTT that works one time, then no more. I'm using Baufeng UV-B6 radios, and there are only four connections to the K-connector, while the RoIP box seems to want five. I suspect I have to generate the COR (Carrier Operated Relay) signal somehow.

melbeckman

Progress on RoIP-102 PTT interface

I've made progress on the PTT interfaced module supplied with the unit. This module has screw terminals that connect to your radio, and then an RJ-12 phone-style cable that connects back to the RoIP-102. The Baofeng UV-B6 radios I'm using have only four lines: Mic+ and Mic gnd, and Speaker+ and Speaker gnd.

The adapter board supplied with the RoIP unit has Vin and Vout (for voice in and out, from the point of view of the RoIP apparently), PTTin and PTTout, and ground. It has a pot labeled Input Gain on the Vin line. It also can optionally redirect audio out through a separate pot labeled Output Gain, which you use by tying into the ADJOUT pin.

I can manually key up the radio by shorting Mic gnd to ground, so this line seems to be mislabeled in the Baofeng docs. It should be more properly labeled something like "PTT - ground = pushed". I have Speaker+ connected to Vin, Mic+ connected to ADJ OUT, and Mic gnd connected to PTTout. I'm not sure what to connect to PTTin.

The RoIP-102 manual has two versions I've found, one dated 4/2011 and the other dated 7/2011. Both are titled "1.0", but the later manual has much more information. In particular, it shows exactly how to connect two RoIP-102s head-to-head over the Internet, which is very helpful.

This manual shows PTTin connected to the COR (Carrier Operated Relay) on the radio, but B6 radios have no COR output. So I either need to build one of the many somewhat unreliable external COR circuits that listen for unsquelched audio, or get base station radios that have a COR out. I've ordered a pair of UV-25x4 radios, as these have what I believe is COR out on the front panel RJ45 mic jack, labeled "RPT CTRL" (for "repeater control" I'm guessing). I think if I connect that to the RoIP PTTin pin, I'll be able to get two-way communications going.

hamibal

Getting the remote PTT controlled by local PTT

To get the remote PTT controlled by local PTT, I put a 8K ohms resistor in series with the PTT-out at remote radio. Having this, connecting/disconnecting PTT-in and GND at local interface board, activates/de-activates my remote board's PTT-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.