Radio Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
I'm wanting to build a radio cabinet out of plywood that will have a QYT8900 Ham radio, Uniden BCD536HP Scanner, Motorola Astro W4 Spectra VHF, Motorola Astro Spectra W4 UHF, and an Ericsson orion 800mhz. Attached is how a rough drawing of how I want it to look. Inside the cabinet I will have all the power distibution stuff. All the radio's will have external antenna's out side of the house. (http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc-1649.html)
Does anyone see any problems with this or have any suggestions? feel free to post.

Attachments

• Radio Cabinet.JPG
    Radio Cabinet.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 850

ampulman

A few questions: what is the height of the cabinet. If seated at desk, is the top unit an easy reach? Have you considered a horizontal orientation with smaller units on a shelf (if space a consideration)?

Amp

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I don't really see a problem with your idea. Some radios generate quite a bit of heat, especially while transmitting. I would want to be sure I had plenty of breathing room around each radio, and plenty of ventilation.

This item may or may not fit your needs. If so it could save some labor. I have one and really like it:

Desk Mount for Four Base Scanners

Also, your item you've linked to at Antenna Farm isn't actually an antenna. You probably realize that, but in case not, 'just sayin'.

N9JIG

Sheriff
That desk stand that Sparklehorse suggested should work fine for you. You might also want to consider using faceplates from JottoDesk (http://jottopublicsafety.gojotto.com/console-accessories.html?Attribs=705&) or Troy (Face Plates - Products). You can put them on panels you make yourself or buy elsewhere. The nice thing about these faceplates is that they cover rough cut edges and look awesome.

I have dozens of radios mounted in them in my home shack and they really look professional.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies guys. The height of the radio is roughly going to be 24 inches, with a width of roughly 12 inches. To address the heat/ventilation I plan on leaving the back open and maybe putting some computer fans for circulation (Haven't made up my mind yet). All I have are mobile antenna's so I'm considering the mobile antenna to base kits. and Yes, I definitely plan on using face plates.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
It looks like I'm going to change a few things up with the radio's. Firstly, the QYT KT8900 is not going to be going in there. I'm wanting a cheap Dual band amateur radio so Ill do some research on there and the UHF radio, is going to be an Orion. I have a new issue though. I plan on having 4 50watt radio's hooked up. I will have all 4 of them on at a given time for monitoring but I want a power supply that can handle all for of them being on and transmitting on one of them. will a 50amp DC power supply be big enough or should I go larger?

N9JIG

Sheriff
50 amps will be fine. A dual bander will draw about 15 to 20 amps on TX and about 1 or so on RX.

jim202

It looks like I'm going to change a few things up with the radio's. Firstly, the QYT KT8900 is not going to be going in there. I'm wanting a cheap Dual band amateur radio so Ill do some research on there and the UHF radio, is going to be an Orion. I have a new issue though. I plan on having 4 50watt radio's hooked up. I will have all 4 of them on at a given time for monitoring but I want a power supply that can handle all for of them being on and transmitting on one of them. will a 50amp DC power supply be big enough or should I go larger?

You probably won't need a supply that big. Even a 100 watt radio is only going to pull about 22 to 25 amps max. In receive, non of the radios are pulling more than about 1.5 to 2 amps with full RX audio cranked up all the way. So you can probably get away with a 30 amp power supply. Your not going to TX on more than one radio at a time.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
So it would be possible to get a 30amp power supply and connect it to a distribution block to connect 4 50watt radios (possibly one 100watt radio). transmit on one and still have the other 3 powered on & receiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.