Warspying Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan91

So recently I decided to get into warspying. Warspying (or warviewing) is searching for wireless analog A/V cameras and senders in the 2.4GHz ISM band. I was able to build this for less than $30. The 7" screen would probably be the most expensive part but I got it from a friend because it's pretty much useless as an ATSC receiver, but it does have A/V inputs and a headphone jack. If someone pulls you over you can just attach a whip to it and set it to TV mode. :) It uses a Pocket Jump portable battery with switchable 12v/5v outputs which will give me at least 6 hours of receiver use, with the monitor lasting about 2 hours (but I'm sure it will run longer). I'm going to add a Y cable and install a 5.8GHz receiver as well and run it off USB which will give me 36 channels to work with across the two bands. I've already started finding feeds around town when running the smoke test. For anyone wondering yes, these transmitters are still around and you can still build a receiver for very little money.

http://i.imgur.com/aw1eUi6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZlKouou.jpg

Last edited:

radio3353

What exactly is it you watch? This seems like a terrible invasion of privacy. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something here. Hopefully.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
What exactly is it you watch? This seems like a terrible invasion of privacy. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something here. Hopefully.

I was wondering the same thing...on both accounts (that maybe I was understanding but, if not, it seems like a bad thing...).

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
I agree with the other posters, this seems to be a bad idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I could be wrong, but I don't think frequencies in the Ism band or 5.8 ghz are protected by the ECPA so I wouldn't get too shook up over it. Wireless public cams can be pretty interesting, depending on where they are. :wink: 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
I agree with the other posters, this seems to be a bad idea.

. Why would you think so? There no illegality here to speak of ... do you mean ethically? 73, n9zas

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
Without knowing for sure what video sources are out there. Are we talking nanny cams? Security cams? If its monitoring cams inside a residence then yeah i have ethical issues with that

gewecke

Banned
Without knowing for sure what video sources are out there. Are we talking nanny cams? Security cams? If its monitoring cams inside a residence then yeah i have ethical issues with that

while I agree, it may be creepy to come across a " kiddycam", from the legality standpoint if the video feed is not encrypted then it would be irresponsible on the parents part not to secure its settings. However public domain cams are all over the place, from shopping malls to local parks to interstate highway cams, etc. You name it, its out there. Personally, wireless tavern cams are pretty entertaining on weekends. :wink: 73, n9zas

frazpo

So recently I decided to get into warspying. Warspying (or warviewing) is searching for wireless analog A/V cameras and senders in the 2.4GHz ISM band. I was able to build this for less than $30. The 7" screen would probably be the most expensive part but I got it from a friend because it's pretty much useless as an ATSC receiver, but it does have A/V inputs and a headphone jack. If someone pulls you over you can just attach a whip to it and set it to TV mode. :) It uses a Pocket Jump portable battery with switchable 12v/5v outputs which will give me at least 6 hours of receiver use, with the monitor lasting about 2 hours (but I'm sure it will run longer). I'm going to add a Y cable and install a 5.8GHz receiver as well and run it off USB which will give me 36 channels to work with across the two bands. I've already started finding feeds around town when running the smoke test. For anyone wondering yes, these transmitters are still around and you can still build a receiver for very little money.

http://i.imgur.com/aw1eUi6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZlKouou.jpg

Where do you come up with 36 channels??

SCPD

QRT
We use a 2.4GHz video sender to send a quad video display of security cameras to a secondary building. Cabling was not an option but it's line of sight so RF works great. The video is encrypted using an analog scrambling system called Viewlock II made by a company in England. It messes with the lines of the video making a mess of the video. It works real well and is very secure.

gewecke

Banned
We use a 2.4GHz video sender to send a quad video display of security cameras to a secondary building. Cabling was not an option but it's line of sight so RF works great. The video is encrypted using an analog scrambling system called Viewlock II made by a company in England. It messes with the lines of the video making a mess of the video. It works real well and is very secure.
. Google "Video stabilizer" This restores the video back in sync again, and defeats the VL2 and others. Tv studios use to use them with analog signals. :wink: 73, n9zas

Titan91

Ethics always makes for a good discussion. I put this together to search for street cameras and drone feeds at events. This format really needs to die, but the point of this thread is to be informational, not suggestive on how it should and should not be used. I expect people to have common sense and a basic respect for privacy in any case.

Where do you come up with 36 channels??

4 channels on 2.4GHz, 32 channels on 5.8. The 5.8 receiver covers pretty much all brands of FPV drones.

frazpo

Ethics always makes for a good discussion. I put this together to search for street cameras and drone feeds at events. This format really needs to die, but the point of this thread is to be informational, not suggestive on how it should and should not be used. I expect people to have common sense and a basic respect for privacy in any case.

4 channels on 2.4GHz, 32 channels on 5.8. The 5.8 receiver covers pretty much all brands of FPV drones.

OK i had not come across any other than 8 channel but I did see some after a detailed search.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Is the ethics on this any different than listening in on FRS, MURS or other consumer level communications devices?

Some companies make portable video receivers that could find unencrypted video signals. We used them to find ATM skimmers, but occasionally discovered nanny-cams, store security cameras and the occasional neighborhood stalker-cam. Even the old Icom R3 could find some of these cameras as well.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
The issue between frs/gmrs is the expected privacy. The average joe expects there nanny cam to be private.

As someone said, because you can doesnt mean you should

Status
Not open for further replies.